Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zoe Saldana: "POC Don't Exist"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 5:47pm
Prior to the nonexistent POC she has stated that she is Latina and could not get Latina roles because here in these United States of America, she a nigguh.  Now we're trying to give her back lol

Let me put the shadeshaker down for a minute and be real; Zoe is gorgeous.  Yes, she is thin, but there are more than one beautiful body type.  She is not lightskinned.  She's definitely brown.  
Sponsored Links

SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 5:54pm
a brown light skinned woman
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 7:26am
I met a Colombian in Spain. He was midnight black. He said he lived in Houston and when people heard him speak they asked where he was from and he said he was Colombian and that he was not black, but Latin. He said they were like...you're black. I told him I agree. I asked him how does he think he got so black...the sun? Them slaves were brought over to South America and their offspring were coined Latin. He said "Well, we can't trace back to what part of Africa our roots are from, so we're Colombian...Latin." So, at the end of the day....It wouldn't surprise me if she feels the same way. When people don't have that connection, they won't claim it. So to them, they aren't black or white...it is an American issue. They just say they are Latin and they don't worry about color...it is surprising how many people in other parts of the world have this same mindset. Malcolm X covered this in his speech after they set his house on fire. He said that white and black only really exist in America, whereas in other parts of the world...color doesn't exist..everyone is your brother or sister. I see her point, but she just didn't articulate it well and many people are like that. But people are so quick to jump down someone's throat, as they did with Tiger Woods. There is nothing wrong with people wanting to rep their nationality and not identify with a color. The whole light skin vs dark skin sh*t is another American problem...that is why African Americans are the most divided of all. It is really sad and ignorant to beef over skin tones. Ya'll were watching School Daze for entertainment, not for the message. 
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 7:47am
Originally posted by khivey khivey wrote:

I met a Colombian in Spain. He was midnight black. He said he lived in Houston and when people heard him speak they asked where he was from and he said he was Colombian and that he was not black, but Latin. He said they were like...you're black. I told him I agree. I asked him how does he think he got so black...the sun? Them slaves were brought over to South America and their offspring were coined Latin. He said "Well, we can't trace back to what part of Africa our roots are from, so we're Colombian...Latin." So, at the end of the day....It wouldn't surprise me if she feels the same way. When people don't have that connection, they won't claim it. So to them, they aren't black or white...it is an American issue. They just say they are Latin and they don't worry about color...it is surprising how many people in other parts of the world have this same mindset. Malcolm X covered this in his speech after they set his house on fire. He said that white and black only really exist in America, whereas in other parts of the world...color doesn't exist..everyone is your brother or sister. I see her point, but she just didn't articulate it well and many people are like that. But people are so quick to jump down someone's throat, as they did with Tiger Woods. There is nothing wrong with people wanting to rep their nationality and not identify with a color. The whole light skin vs dark skin sh*t is another American problem...that is why African Americans are the most divided of all. It is really sad and ignorant to beef over skin tones. Ya'll were watching School Daze for entertainment, not for the message. 

False. Asians are also obsessed with skin tone, particularly Filipinos and Indians.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 7:53am
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

False. Asians are also obsessed with skin tone, particularly Filipinos and Indians.

As well as the Caribbean, Latin America and Africa. 

I swear people on BHM just make the most way off statements. 

sistagal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sistagal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

As well as the Caribbean, Latin America and Africa. 

I swear people on BHM just make the most way off statements. 

Yeah. Africa definitely has those issues too. I remember saying my grandmother was very light skin but we're still purely black & was shut down.

Whites infiltrated everywhere. & they made blacks working class ie field & labour. & they further divided that race with skin tone to regain more control of us. Whether they left you in Africa or dumped you in the West Indies.

The sad thing is we bought into that division. & instead of standing as one we wanted to stand with them for a shot of respect. So the less you identified, whether by having white features, lighter skin or not accepting your African roots; the more some people felt they could shake off their working class stature.

I watched a documentary about bleachers in Jamaica & they said if you where born poor & dark skinned you're likely to die poor. If you where born poor & light skinned you may have a chance. WHY is that?
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 9:45am
Nearly EVERYONE makes a big deal out of skin color

When there is diversity, there is intolerance... so let's not make this a "black" or "American" issue only

However, khivey is right about one thing... as Americans, we love to think that the way we think is the "right" way, even if we know it's messed up we'll think it's the "right" way to be messed up. We love to impose our categories on to someone else as if it's the most logical

In a perfect world, Zoe would be 100% correct in what she said. But being ignorantly blissful is not the same thing as not wanting to partake in an ignorant system and she is most definitely the former

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 10:27am

I agree with the first part of what you said but not with Malcom X's statement. Colour/racism is very much an issue in South America. For afro-latins to say otherwise that is either plain denial or ignorance of their own origins. I don't see why he couldn't say that his nationality is Columbian, that his culture is latin and that his race is black/African ancestry with maybe other things sprinkled in there. Lots of afro-latins have no problem acknowledging this, why can't he? There is indeed nothing wrong with people repping their nationality first (I sure as hell do it!) but that doesn't cancel out the fact that my race is black and I have an issue with latinos who refuse to acknowledge this. As for the light vs dark being just another American problem, that's not the case. Light vs dark occurs everywhere where slavery has been (and that includes South America), not to mention other nations that have been colonized (for instance Asia and even North Africa).

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - May 20 2013 at 10:31am
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 10:30am

That is more of a poor vs rich issue...apparently, if you are poor then you're the ones working in the fields all day long and their skin gets darker from the sun...when you have darker skin that signifies that you are poor. 

White Americans glamourized their hate for dark skin...that sh*t rubbed off. But at the end of the day, when it is all said in done...they will find unity for a cause, where as African Americans they got this skin color complex so bad and want to be accepted by the man that we stay divided.  

Edited by khivey - May 20 2013 at 10:32am
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 10:32am
Dp

Edited by khivey - May 20 2013 at 10:33am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists