Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zoe Saldana on the set of Nina
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair
 

Zoe Saldana on the set of Nina

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>


Bootiful Cream



Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 12 2010
Location: SC
Status: Online
Points: 290450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:25pm
Zoe wasnt their first choice
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 21 2009
Location: your dreams
Status: Offline
Points: 146466
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:25pm
nobody said we need an exact match but if u are light enough that they are putting u in black face to play the role, there is a problem,....i have said this before

anika noni rose is not as dark as nina simone was but she would've done the role justice and been more believable imo
Back to Top
James Avery View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 28 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 136713
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Originally posted by James Avery James Avery wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by James Avery James Avery wrote:

seems like ya'll just want to settle for a darker actress. nevermind if zoe killed the part in auditions.
 
A darker actress WITH the chops. Viola Davis would have been perfect. But hey, if Zoe surprises us all, I'll clap for her and retract most of my statements. I just doubt that's gonna happen. She's just a comfortable choice for whites

this is all speculation.

but what if viola davis turned the role down? what if halle turned the role down? what if zoe had the best audition? we haven't even seen a trailer or seen the movie and people are already calling for the film to stop production.

i'm certain this will be a good film and zoe will do nina simone justice. if she doesn't i will kindly eat my crow.


Everything in this thread, except those tacky makeup photos, is speculation.


which is why i say we let the movie and zoe breathe. for all we know it might be a hit.

there is no rule that says only one nina simone move can be made. maybe her estate can reach out to some black producers, directors and make the movie they feel does their mother justice.
Back to Top
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 10 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 132511
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Ze really isn't that light.
And I don't think we needed an exact match , I just don't.

I wonder how Mary would have done.
Would y'all be mad at Mary too?

I see y'all point but I guess I don't care alot.


Light enough to be painted in black face.

Aside from that point, the spirit of Nina's message was celebrating her dark skin.
Back to Top
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 20 2011
Location: SupaFlyKingdom
Status: Online
Points: 156917
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by James Avery James Avery wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by James Avery James Avery wrote:

seems like ya'll just want to settle for a darker actress. nevermind if zoe killed the part in auditions.
 
A darker actress WITH the chops. Viola Davis would have been perfect. But hey, if Zoe surprises us all, I'll clap for her and retract most of my statements. I just doubt that's gonna happen. She's just a comfortable choice for whites

this is all speculation.

but what if viola davis turned the role down? what if halle turned the role down? what if zoe had the best audition? we haven't even seen a trailer or seen the movie and people are already calling for the film to stop production.

i'm certain this will be a good film and zoe will do nina simone justice. if she doesn't i will kindly eat my crow.
 
MrsHairdo said it a thousand times. I would have been more comfortable with an unknown. Or someone from the theater. There are plenty of talented struggling actors out there.
 
Back to Top
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 21 2009
Location: your dreams
Status: Offline
Points: 146466
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:27pm
looks wise, mjb would've been great but im not sure about her acting chops...i've never seen her act in anything...u need a lot of depth for this role then again gabourey and jen hudson killed it in their first roles
Back to Top
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 28 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 220885
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:27pm

if angela bassett were cast ... people would give her the benefit of the doubt considering her past work

skin color and looks wouldn't matter as much because we know she has the acting ability to pull off big character roles

this has more to do with zoe's acting ability than her skin ... 
Back to Top
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2010
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Points: 33548
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:28pm
Simone's daughter hasn't been too psyched about the 34-year-old Star Trek star's casting either, telling the New York Times, "My mother was raised at a time when she was told her nose was too wide, her skin was too dark. Appearance-wise [Saldana] is not the best choice."
Back to Top
James Avery View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 28 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 136713
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

looks wise, mjb would've been great but im not sure about her acting chops...i've never seen her act in anything...u need a lot of depth for this role then again gabourey and jen hudson killed it in their first roles


who do you think would do nina simone justice on film? mary j blige or zoe saldana?
Back to Top
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 20 2011
Location: SupaFlyKingdom
Status: Online
Points: 156917
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Ze really isn't that light.
And I don't think we needed an exact match , I just don't.

I wonder how Mary would have done.
Would y'all be mad at Mary too?

I see y'all point but I guess I don't care alot.


Light enough to be painted in black face.

Aside from that point, the spirit of Nina's message was celebrating her dark skin.
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down