FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedZoe Saldana on the set of Nina

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:03pm
not to mention they didn't even connect with the family about the movie, how u gunna make a biopic on someone's life and not even consult the family who knew her best when the opportunity is there? wtf
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Yeah I think Forrest is an awesome actor.
Does he have his Oscar yet?

I see he does.
Good

The only reason he's not as popular as say, Denzel, is that he is not a good looking man, with his lazy eyelid. But he's better than him (and that says a lot coming from me, because I LOVE me some Denzel). Forrest is a character actor and he can nail any accent.

The difference with Zoe Saldana is that he looks (and sounds) convincing enough to play the part he played in the King of Scotland. She on the other hand does not remotely looks like she can capture the essence of Nina Simone
James Avery View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

Originally posted by James Avery James Avery wrote:

Originally posted by tropical-punch tropical-punch wrote:

So unnatural looking and a slap in the face to black women who actually were better suited for he role

how?

forrest whitaker wore a prosthetic nose in the king of scotland.

several black actresses auditioned for the role and it looks like they didn't do as good a job as zoe did. lets stand behind this woman and support her in playing the biggest role of her career.

a prosthetic nose is a lot more different than a prosthetic nose, plus blackface, whatever else added to make u more believable in a role that many other ppl could've done without all dat....i also think it's naive to think she was the best person who auditioned

common now....i personally wont be supporting this movie, it's bullshiit and a slap in the face to nina simone and her family...absolutely not will i ever support, so that they can think they can pull off more of this fuccery? what's next? a white woman in black face playing a black role? absolutely not

i think saying she is wearing "black face" is a reach. have you seen the movie bamboozled? that is black face imho.

several actors have worn makeup to appear lighter/darker for their role. i don't see it as a big deal.  i don't see how its a slap in the face when one of the best black actresses is portraying her. a slap in the face would have been mary j blige's non acting ass getting the role:

" Mary J. Blige was originally cast as Nina Simone, but dropped out due to scheduling, per the movie's screenwriter, Cynthia Mort. In this Rolling Stone article from 2010, Blige seemed excited about the role: "Playing a character like Nina Simone is playing myself," she said, "because Nina Simone was a manic depressive, drug addict, alcoholic, cursing wild maniac that I was, but very talented, so people would get that."
iGotSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

So unnatural looking and a slap in the face to black women who actually were better suited for he role

how?

several black actresses auditioned for the role and it looks like they didn't do as good a job as zoe did. lets stand behind this woman and support her in playing the biggest role of her career.

Didn't know he wore a prosthetic nose but it's hardly a stretch to conceive of forrest whitaker as being ugandan. And of top of that, he is an outstanding actor, actually even better than Denzel. Way back when in The Crying Game, I was convinced he was an Afro Brit. I found out years later that he was AA.

zoe is an outstanding actress as well. i don't see why everyone is against her playing this role. i don't think her being lighter is an issue. if nina samone's estate approves and if zoe had the best audition tape, i say let her do her thang.

are there more pictures than just the 2 in the OP? i read that mary j blige almost had the role but turned it down. imho zoe is a HUGE upgrade over miss mary. imagine how bad that would have turned out lol.

wtf? are u trollin
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

I enjoyed every minute of Flex Alexander's Man in the Mirror ( Unauthorized Micheal Jackson)
That ish was pure gold lol
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Originally posted by nimkola nimkola wrote:

Nina even said her damn self she wanted Whoopie to play her. Eff Hollywood.Thumbs Down
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

I won't be supporting this.

And when this flops, Hollywood will say 'see? the only black movies that sell are tyler perry ripoffs".

SMH.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 12:06pm

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

how?

Didn't know he wore a prosthetic nose but it's hardly a stretch to conceive of forrest whitaker as being ugandan. And of top of that, he is an outstanding actor, actually even better than Denzel. Way back when in The Crying Game, I was convinced he was an Afro Brit. I found out years later that he was AA.

zoe is an outstanding actress as well. i don't see why everyone is against her playing this role. i don't think her being lighter is an issue. if nina samone's estate approves and if zoe had the best audition tape, i say let her do her thang.

are there more pictures than just the 2 in the OP? i read that mary j blige almost had the role but turned it down. imho zoe is a HUGE upgrade over miss mary. imagine how bad that would have turned out lol.

You have got to be kidding with that. She's cute and scrawny and all but she's not even close to being outstanding. And she doesn't look a thing like her and the mere fact that they have to blacken her face for the role, when Nina was all about afrocentricity and proud of her negroid features is a joke.à
And her estate DOES NOT APPROVE.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mary J dropped out due to money and funding.

Hmmm Whoopie?
Did they reach out and did they have the funds
James Avery View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

go back to page 8 and 7 james

preciate it. those pics look a lot better than the ones in the OP.

i take the backlash zoe's getting to be an overreaction. i'm sure she'll do Ms. Simone justice. people saying "they could have found a darker actress" are seriously hindering the integrity of the film.

nevermind the acting, just make sure she's dark enoughWink
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
  Share Topic