Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Keep IT REAL!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYoure Black But Your Hair is Indian?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bellacnella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 8:30am
Originally posted by carmenqueasy carmenqueasy wrote:

I'm certain that any indian woman who feels superior to or hatred towards black women wearing "indian" hair extensions probably didn't have a great affection towards black people in the first place, so whatever. I wish we could get to a point where not everything a black woman does to her hair (or body, or anything else) is a sociopolitical statement for everyone to critique.

Yet, there are scads of black women walking around with long silky shiny layered flip curl hair with deep middle "jesus" parts that have broken bits of african remy sticking out of the top. It could be an issue with the availability of more textured hair in BSS's, or an issue of bad taste, but nevertheless it's an issue.

some of them do feel a sense of superiority.  but many more of them just dont understand "why" not necessarily disliking Blacks at all.

what is a "Jesus" part

Ok, I am ignorant of weaves so let me back out of thread lol
Sponsored Links

Rie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 8:30am
To each its own. There are a lot of ppl in this world who would probably love to wear their own hair but due to unforeseen circumstances(disease, genetics, health issues, etc) are not able to do so. So to make themselves feel pretty or even better about themselves they opt to extensions or weaves and personally I see nothing wrong with making yourself feel pretty, even if that means that you have to use or buy some other persons hair. It's no different as to when a person (any ethnicity) who has had hair and lost it due to cancer and want to get the feel of their hair back.  We cant get around the fact that all hair that is made is from Asian decent.  So just like one of the subbies said earlier, When or if a African American can produce Ethic hair without any form of Asian decent, then I will definitely jump on that bandwagon. 
But until then, I wish all who want to make themselves over with Asian hair(and it should not be about pleasing anyone else but yourselves) more power to you. 

Remember this: the majority of everything comes from China (asian decent). So if we as ppl dont want to do the natural thing and that's all by choice, then we will be buying products that are more than likely "MADE IN CHINA" 

LADIES IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!!!!LADIES BE HAPPY WITH WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE TO DO IN LIFE. EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN OPINIONS ABOUT HOW WE SHOULD LIVE (LOOK) BUT OVERALL IT WILL BE YOUR CHOICE AS TO HOW YOU WANNA BE PRECEIVED. 

DO YOU!!!!!!!!!Wink BECAUSE IT'S NOT ABOUT MAKING OTHER PPL HAPPY, IT'S ABOUT MAKING THE PERSON THAT YOU SEE IN THE MIRROR EVERYDAY HAPPYBig smile
Bekah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 8:35am
You make some good points.... but I look at weave as just an accessory. I don't NEED it. I rock my OWN hair when I want to.  It all depends on how you look at weave, I throw it in the same category as fake nails, makeup, etc

*SkolarStar* View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 8:48am
And while this discussion is going on about WHAT OTHER PEOPLE CHOOSE TO DO, we live in a nation with a failing public school system, a health care system that is nonexistent for a lot of people, a generation of young black people with no empathy or self worth, must I go on? 

And to the above comment, I completely agree that hair should be in the makeup/accessory category. People have multiple reasons of doing it these days, don't group ALL black women into the "ignorant about their own hair" category. That's being judgmental just like EVERYONE else.

SN: The Kardashians obviously wear extensions but in threads like this no one wants to bring them up. Last time I checked, they weren't Indian either.
OneLove1987 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 9:12am
I totally understand where you're coming from OP and i wear weave myself, and as much as i'd love some long curly hair, i've chosen straight relaxed coarse hair extensions because i was believability over just having a weave.
i don't agree with the notion that other ethnic groups feel superior over us based on the fact that some people wear indian or chinese hair. i don't agree only because i guess i haven't witnessed this or seen this before, i thought other ethnic groups felt superior over blacks for other lame reasons, like our skin color and the big earring we wear lol. but again, all women are wearing weaves these days black, white, hispanic you name it, i just think everythings a bigger deal when it comes to what black people and what we do in our culture.

i don't wear weave because i hate my nigerian hair texture, i wear weave because i know for a fact that i could never take care of my hair in a healthy way because i don't want to put in the time or effort. i don't want to fuss about my hair like that. i work out 5 days a week and having to constantly wash, condition, moisturize and seal and put it into a decent style every other day would be draining. i can take care and condition my hair easier if its braided and not being relaxed every few months. in fact i love the resilience of my hair, this sh*ts stronger than steel and thicker than rope.

so bottom line, i think hair is an accessory just like you change your hand bag, and switch your lipstick colors.  hair is just a big deal because we all know when you go to get your acrylic nails and them sh*ts aint yours but no ones running around screaming that they're not being true to their natural growing nails, and when people have breast implants no ones running around screaming you're not being true to your small chested self, and when you wear green, yellow, and blue eyeshadow no ones running around saying you're not being true to your natural eyelid color.
WannaBeeStunnah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 9:14am
The money issue,.. I agree with.  If you are struggling to make car payments, can't come up with the extra dollars to put your kid in a good summer activity program, don't have health insurance but yet are spending hundreds on weaves,.. then I say you have a priority issue and you're just foolish.  Most likely you're putting A LOT of other things above those necessessities,.. not just your hair.

But, if you have the money,.. why not spend it?  I think the real issue here is "hair sensitivity".  When you are sensitive about something that you think others perceive as a flaw, the natural response is to become empowered by that "flaw".  "Black natural hair UNITE.. bLACK HAIR POWER!"  When people try to replace/cover up short, stubby, brittle nails with fake nails.. there is no problem... there is no backlash.  My advise, if they had the money, is to find a method where they could take care of and embrace their own natural nails while wearing fake fab nails so that eventually they will look the business whether they are rocking their natural or fake nails.

However, we don't associate nails with race as we do hair and that is probably why we are less sensitive about it.

As for indian people laughing at us.  Well they would have to be laughing at all the superstar white people and regular white people who rock weaves/extensions/ clip in's all the time.  But I don't think they have the time to laugh considering that they are technically still a third world country, they have a comparably high illiteracy rate, and an HIV epidemic effecting regions of the country....Confused

I personally, just started wearing full head weaves.. and yes I do buy Remi Indi at times, Yaki, etc,.. but when it comes to my looks there is no such thing as "staying in my lane.".  I've worn cornrows, afro-puffs, box braids for years. I'm "transitioning right now."  My suggestion is to embrace yourself,.. when you are confident in yourself, show poise, embue a positive attitude,.. people will see that you're not just some faker trying desperately to look like someone else.
carmenqueasy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 9:19am
Originally posted by bellacnella bellacnella wrote:

what is a "Jesus" part

The son of Christ has been rocking a middle part for almost all of his eternal life, although he sometimes changes up the color. Here, he's lightened his shoulder length tresses to a cornsilk blonde for a light, summery look.

I really don't give much thought as to what Indians think of black women wearing weave. In fact, i'm certain most people in India don't think little about American (or European, or African) blacks either way.

bellacnella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 9:38am
Originally posted by carmenqueasy carmenqueasy wrote:

Originally posted by bellacnella bellacnella wrote:

what is a "Jesus" part

The son of Christ has been rocking a middle part for almost all of his eternal life, although he sometimes changes up the color. Here, he's lightened his shoulder length tresses to a cornsilk blonde for a light, summery look.

I really don't give much thought as to what Indians think of black women wearing weave. In fact, i'm certain most people in India don't think little about American (or European, or African) blacks either way.

hey thanks for the pic! :)

they definately think about us Americans and our habits because we are helping their economy out by constantly outsourcing jobs to them, and spending money on their products (hair being only one industry we support).  not sure if this is still going on, but at one point our gov't was providing tax incentives for businesses to outsorce jobs...now look at the unemployment rate..it's terrible. 

then they send their families over to america to start businesses so they can send their kids to college, medical school, etc....not gonna expound on that issue though. but it is pretty common. 

ok now i am off topic.  but remember i said that i personally also feel that it a personal choice, i just dont completely understand it so don't flame me...pretty pls  Smile

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 10:41pm
hmmm.......while IA with what most of ya are saying.  Hair in regards to black folks.....it seems it will always be A "but that's different though".    Make up and nails aren't in the same category because of the fact that it has no stigmas attached.   White folks wearing extenstionS ain't seen as that big of a deal because "they could grow their own hair down to their ass in 6 months if they wanted to" or "when they get weaves and wigs we 'know' that they have their own hair" or "when they get weaves and wigs its in their natural texture".

As the OP stated I think the beef is........well part of the beef is black women wearing hair that is "silky".   TBH.........most don't really care why you wear hair (u coulda had alopecia or cancer) but the fact that you wear "virgin" hair shows that you feel some type of way.   No one cares that you have KS, KC, yaki's and lite yaki's in your arsenal.   Just the fact that you got a "virgin" anything.......smh......SELF HATE!!
etoile View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

hmmm.......while IA with what most of ya are saying.  Hair in regards to black folks.....it seems it will always be A "but that's different though".    Make up and nails aren't in the same category because of the fact that it has no stigmas attached.   White folks wearing extenstionS ain't seen as that big of a deal because "they could grow their own hair down to their ass in 6 months if they wanted to" or "when they get weaves and wigs we 'know' that they have their own hair" or "when they get weaves and wigs its in their natural texture".

As the OP stated I think the beef is........well part of the beef is black women wearing hair that is "silky".   TBH.........most don't really care why you wear hair (u coulda had alopecia or cancer) but the fact that you wear "virgin" hair shows that you feel some type of way.   No one cares that you have KS, KC, yaki's and lite yaki's in your arsenal.   Just the fact that you got a "virgin" anything.......smh......SELF HATE!!

Lets be real--I wear other people's hair on my head. Love the versatility and love the minimum stress to my natural hair. However, I know that hair is deep with black women. Ever since the Chili's of the world walked down the street, there have been black women wishing that their own, perhaps, kinky/curly hair would grow out of the scalp just like Chili's. The very fact that thick, silky hair can grow out of a black woman's scalp (like Chili) makes it seem like that should be their norm, and not the exception, even though hair like that is an outlier. However, in parts of the world (like parts of Africa) where hair does not 3A(?) like Chili's, people do not even sweat having super silky long locks.

My best friend has hair like Oprah, i.e., super thick and grows like a weed. When it is relaxed, it is pin straight with body. When its in natural state, it is curly, like a 3B.  I have seen many people envy her as a result. I think that people get weave, wigs whatever to look like her.

Personally, I have never worn virgin hair. I prefer kinky straight or a coarse yaki texture. However, I also like kinky curl textures even though my own hair does not have that same curl pattern. So I guess I am just as guilty as those admiring a different hair texture from their own.

Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic