Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "You're a SAHM? What do you DO all day?"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection
 

"You're a SAHM? What do you DO all day?"

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>




The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 08 2006
Location: southside holla
Status: Offline
Points: 236790
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2014 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

it isn't easy to care for babies/young children, it's time consuming, can be all consuming, and it's often thankless


The only person who should be offering thanks is the child's other parent.
 
i don't agree...society is a better when children have healthy home lives.
 
isn't this something we talk about all the time?  the fact that part of the solution to our problems (i'm talking black people here) starts at home?
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 08 2006
Location: southside holla
Status: Offline
Points: 236790
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:



both are "work"
 
of course they are...LOL
Back to Top
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 27 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 75967
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2014 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

volunteering is typically void of self interest...


True but what I meant is their not the ones benefiting from it. A volunteer is actually helping someone with no relation to them. You can't volunteer to tutor your own kids because that's your responsibility. But if you tutor a stranger's kids for free or charge, that's work because you're not getting the benefit.
 
this not true.  i have volunteered my skills for church and for other organizations in which i know the people.  you do not have to volunteer for a stranger in order for it to be considered work...gtfohLOL

Depends on what you were doing but your church is not your friends or family.

Like I said, the difference is self interest. Doing something for friend or family member for free isn't legit work for the same reason a corporation doesn't allow nepotism. Self interest.


Edited by liesnalibis - Jun 14 2014 at 4:54pm
Back to Top
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 02 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 90453
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

it isn't easy to care for babies/young children, it's time consuming, can be all consuming, and it's often thankless


The only person who should be offering thanks is the child's other parent.
 
i don't agree...society is a better when children have healthy home lives.
 
isn't this something we talk about all the time?  the fact that part of the solution to our problems (i'm talking black people here) starts at home?


I agree that society is better off when children are raised well, obviously.

But I don't believe that society should be thanking a parent for taking care of their parenting responsibilities. That's just part of the package of being a parent. The only person who might owe you thanks is the other parent.

I mean in the sense of "thanks for keeping your kid clean, fed, and sending them to school"...if that makes sense.
Back to Top
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 08 2006
Location: southside holla
Status: Offline
Points: 236790
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

volunteering is typically void of self interest...


True but what I meant is their not the ones benefiting from it. A volunteer is actually helping someone with no relation to them. You can't volunteer to tutor your own kids because that's your responsibility. But if you tutor a stranger's kids for free or charge, that's work because you're not getting the benefit.
 
this not true.  i have volunteered my skills for church and for other organizations in which i know the people.  you do not have to volunteer for a stranger in order for it to be considered work...gtfohLOL

Depends on what you were doing but your church is not your friends or family.
 
listen lady...i have watched the neighbors kids for free and i don't even kick it at all with the mom or dad.  not even a lil...that was work and i don't give a rats azz what you say...LOL
Back to Top
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 27 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 75967
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2014 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


lol

trying to better understand your perspective

you made the distinction between helping non relatives versus relatives and what motivates you to do things for them

I assumed we help people for the same reasons so watching a younger relative is the same thing as watching a neighbor's kids for free or for a fee

both are "work"

It is because you care about them both.

But you wouldn't regularly babysit someone's kid that you don't know for free.
Back to Top
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 27 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 75967
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2014 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

volunteering is typically void of self interest...


True but what I meant is their not the ones benefiting from it. A volunteer is actually helping someone with no relation to them. You can't volunteer to tutor your own kids because that's your responsibility. But if you tutor a stranger's kids for free or charge, that's work because you're not getting the benefit.
 
this not true.  i have volunteered my skills for church and for other organizations in which i know the people.  you do not have to volunteer for a stranger in order for it to be considered work...gtfohLOL

Depends on what you were doing but your church is not your friends or family.
 
listen lady...i have watched the neighbors kids for free and i don't even kick it at all with the mom or dad.  not even a lil...that was work and i don't give a rats azz what you say...LOL

Yeah we established that a couple pages back...fine by me...
Back to Top
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 08 2006
Location: southside holla
Status: Offline
Points: 236790
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2014 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

it isn't easy to care for babies/young children, it's time consuming, can be all consuming, and it's often thankless


The only person who should be offering thanks is the child's other parent.
 
i don't agree...society is a better when children have healthy home lives.
 
isn't this something we talk about all the time?  the fact that part of the solution to our problems (i'm talking black people here) starts at home?


I agree that society is better off when children are raised well, obviously.

But I don't believe that society should be thanking a parent for taking care of their parenting responsibilities. That's just part of the package of being a parent. The only person who might owe you thanks is the other parent.

I mean in the sense of "thanks for keeping your kid clean, fed, and sending them to school"...if that makes sense.
 
well...i thank moms/dads who i feel are doing a great job in real life all the time.  and i'd like to get more involved helping those who appear to be struggling...but that's another thread for another day...i suppose... 
Back to Top
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 06 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 280732
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2014 at 5:00pm

hmmmm I don't know

I don't like my neighbors enough to even continue this conversation

lol

even when I was 8 I knew I needed to get paid to watch my neighbors cat.....I made sure after the first time they gave me more than a tee shirt
Back to Top
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 08 2006
Location: southside holla
Status: Offline
Points: 236790
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2014 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


lol

trying to better understand your perspective

you made the distinction between helping non relatives versus relatives and what motivates you to do things for them

I assumed we help people for the same reasons so watching a younger relative is the same thing as watching a neighbor's kids for free or for a fee

both are "work"

It is because you care about them both.

But you wouldn't regularly babysit someone's kid that you don't know for free.
 
well again we are back to if the sahm of 1 who is watching 2 children and being paid...she putting forth the same amount of effort as a sahm of 3.  one is working in your mind and the other isn't...ok.


Edited by ThoughtCouture - Jun 14 2014 at 5:03pm
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down