Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Your real hair is so long so why do u wear weaves?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Your real hair is so long so why do u wear weaves?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KanDy994 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanDy994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by JaceDummy JaceDummy wrote:

Originally posted by KanDy994 KanDy994 wrote:

Does it irritate you more when it comes from men or women?
For me it's men like most of them don't even have hair for real

I dont mind when girls ask- that is a compliment. When guys ask, it's meant to kinda tear you down. Next time a guy asks, I'm going to ask him about his fico score.

I don't think it's necessarily meant to tear you down. I know some guys are just into completely natural girls (no weave, no make up, real eyelashes and all that)
Sponsored Links

imfunsized View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imfunsized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by lalaLeslie lalaLeslie wrote:

I would still wear a sew in if my hair was long, because I'm natural and with a sew in I don't have to go through detangling and all that and it's just easier. Although I hate getting any type of braids now that I'm natural because stylists are really rough on my hair and it seems like it causes more damage to get one sometimes. But they definitely helped when I was relaxing. Mainly because I was getting full sew ins and was able to stretch my relaxer for a long time and it was protecting my ends. It doesn't promote hair growth, though, it helps with length retention. I don't believe women of all races wear weaves though. I've seen like maybe one white woman on youtube who wore a weave like an actual weave. The rest seem to wear clip in extensions, but lets be real it's not as common as how much black women wear weaves. I have no problem w/ that as long as it looks good... but I find it funny how people try to justify what they do by saying other people do it as well whether it's true or not. Just because other races do it, doesn't make it okay. (Again, I am fine w/ weaves, as I have one in right now... I just don't like this whole justification thing, hope this makes sense!) I also don't think weaves are like wearing make up. Wearing make up is more like wearing a wig. You put it on in the morning and take it off at night and some days you forget to put it on. Weaves you can't do that. And it's definitely not comparable to working out. When you work out (at least if you strength train) you build muscle but when you stop you will lose muscle. If you stop getting weaves you won't lose hair unless you start neglecting it, which isn't automatic after not getting weaves - that's on you. 

I am not really bothered by questions like this, as I was asked this in high school when I wore my real hair in ponytail and everyone was like "your hair is so long, why do you wear weave?" I simply answered because I liked the way they looked. Not really a big deal to me... 

One question that did bother me though is when a girl asked me why I bought hair that looks like my natural hair... I thought that was a stupid question. Would you buy extensions that don't blend with your hair? Why would I buy some silky straight extensions and then have the front of my hair not be the same...

I kinda agree with you on the justification part. I honestly don't care of white or any other group of women wear weave. I like them an they are really helping with length retention. But a lot do wear them more than half of white female celebs wear weaves Britney Spears, Kim k, and so many others, but like you said why use others to justify what you're with your head as a black woman. Shoot people are gonna criticize us wether we're natural, relaxed, or in a weave so why care?

I think the questions are rude tho, you would never ask if a woman's boobs were real so why ask about her hair. Unless the woman is really interested in weaves then sure ask away but if she is just being catty, it's is rude. As far as men go most of them don't know what the heck they are talking about. Non black men will ask because they saw good hair and think they have all black women figured out, black guys will bring up usually to try and humiliate black women.
just.dreamiin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote just.dreamiin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 3:26pm
I'm wearing a upart to grow out my hair and I can't wait till my hair is long and I will probably still wear weaves. Nothing better than taking out your weave and showing people you full, healthy and soon to be long hair :)
SinCityKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SinCityKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by lalaLeslie lalaLeslie wrote:

I don't believe women of all races wear weaves though. I've seen like maybe one white woman on youtube who wore a weave like an actual weave. The rest seem to wear clip in extensions, but lets be real it's not as common as how much black women wear weaves. I have no problem w/ that as long as it looks good... but I find it funny how people try to justify what they do by saying other people do it as well whether it's true or not. Just because other races do it, doesn't make it okay. (Again, I am fine w/ weaves, as I have one in right now... I just don't like this whole justification thing, hope this makes sense!) I also don't think weaves are like wearing make up. Wearing make up is more like wearing a wig. You put it on in the morning and take it off at night and some days you forget to put it on. Weaves you can't do that. And it's definitely not comparable to working out. When you work out (at least if you strength train) you build muscle but when you stop you will lose muscle. If you stop getting weaves you won't lose hair unless you start neglecting it, which isn't automatic after not getting weaves - that's on you. 

I certainly wasn't trying to justify that wearing weaves is ok simply because other races wear weaves. Comments like yours: I've seen like maybe one white woman on youtube who wore a weave like an actual weave. The rest seem to wear clip in extensions, but lets be real it's not as common as how much black women wear weaves.    
Is apart of the reason why I felt the need to point out that women of all races get weaves. There is a HUGE misconception that mainly only black women wear weaves. My sister,aunt, god mom and mother-in-law are all hair stylist and I have sat and watched them do FULL sew-ins on plenty of Caucasian and Hispanic women. In fact they are my sisters largest clientele. I even saw an Asian lady AND an Indian lady get a Full sew in. (SN:We were all dying laughing when the Indian lady left the salon.) Hell....Although my hair is thick and textured. I am only one third African, so I am one of those women!! Also I don't care if it's fusion, micro linked, etc. Its a weave boo!! ..In my opinion. 

Also, weaves are like make-up to ME more-so than wigs because wearing make up is simply enhancing your facial features. I get partial weaves therefore I am enhancing my natural hair in MY opinion. Wearing a wig is covering/hiding your hair, unfortunately you cant hide your face with make-up.  Lastly.... I can understand why you don't think weaving weaves can be compared to working out but wearing a weave promotes your real hair growth, strength and durability just like working out does to our bodies. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I guess we have very different life experiences and that is why you don't see my point of view but thanks for reading my post anyways. 

ALSO JUST TO BE CLEAR: The point of this post is to say.... It's my hair and I can wear it how "I" please, damn it! Now that that is clear I could care less who agrees with my analogies and who doesn't. Certainly didn't want to turn this post into a who wears weaves the most post. So on that note yall can have this post.. Toodles.

Edited by SinCityKitty - Oct 29 2013 at 6:54pm
MrsJHorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsJHorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 3:37pm
I feel like weave is weave no matter how it's worn, wig, tracks, full sew-in, "extensions" etc. I have personally done weaves on both Latina and Caucasian women so yes, women of all races wear them. I've even seen them on Italian and Persian women.

I LOVE my weaves, it gives me versatility and convenience. I HATE having to wash, condition, de-tangle and twist my natural hair every other day. There is nothing wrong with it and I hate that people think you have an image problem just because you're not "natural".

Edited by MrsJHorn - Oct 29 2013 at 3:43pm
Misjaguar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Misjaguar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

I agree with, if done properly, weaves will help with length retention. After I big chopped I really insecure with short hair so I went to weaves and real hair has been thriving. Each time I take my out I always an inch or two of growth. Nothing wrong with weaves. I notice the least people know about something the more thy have to say about it.

I used weaves to grow my hair to BSL in 1.05 years, my edges were fine and my hair was healthy. then I BC'ed
Brjasuga51 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 6:31pm
I am lazyyyyy...end of story
mzjuicy553 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzjuicy553 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 12:09am
I've yet to understand why this is a heated debate. I know a guy that says weaves are disgusting. He asked me "why would I wear hair off another's person's head?" I answered why do you wear clothes. They come from animals. I mean he refuses to date women that wear them & punished his 16 yr old when she went & got braids. What's the crime???? This is such a huge topic nowadays because more & more women are wearing weaves. I don't understand the fascination people have with those who wear them...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234