Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedYour first 3/4 wig ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Lo0vely101 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your first 3/4 wig ?
    Posted: Sep 08 2011 at 11:40pm

I never made one, but would like to soon for a few good reasons, & hoping It comes out right.... 

How did your first 3/4 wig turn out ?

& what are your Pros/Cons about them?
Sponsored Links

so_GLAM View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2011 at 11:52pm
My first 3/4 wig turned out pretty good(I've made two more sunset then)
Pros- very versatile, easy upkeep, time saving, and very comfortable.
Cons-the combs sometimes get stuck in my braids
queenkc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2011 at 12:08am
My first came out really good and i wore it for 7 months, but I read so much and saw so many pics and was very careful. 
I think if you know how to sew weaves already you should be good, you have to be able to visual how to sew the tracks based on the style that you want. 

The first time i measured my head with a ribbon and pinned the ribbon on the styrofoam head and then made a line with a sharpie for the measurement. I had to stretch the net further than the line because when you sew through the net and pull it, the net gets smaller. 

I also measure on my head how big I wanted my part to be and leave out area and used a pen that would show on the net and drew a line for that space. I sewed up to that line used fabric sealant on the line so the net wouldn't unravel then cut the space out. and voila a U-Part wig. LOL

Now i'm wearing one with a closure and have stopped sewing all the way around. I sew in front and put a comb in the back. ( just saw glamdollhair with hers like this)
queenkc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2011 at 12:10am
Oh, i forgot about the pros and cons. I don't think I have any cons the whole thing is a pro. I'll never wear a regular sew in again. I can take better care of my hair, I don't have to sit all day to get it done. And I always have a new weave. ( i take the perimeter braid down and re braid it often so I never have the pushed back weave look)
so_GLAM View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2011 at 6:17am
Originally posted by queenkc queenkc wrote:

<span ="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; line-height: normal; font-size: medium; "><div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">My first came out really good and i wore it for 7 months, but I read so much and saw so many pics and was very careful. 
I think if you know how to sew weaves already you should be good, you have to be able to visual how to sew the tracks based on the style that you want. 

The first time i measured my head with a ribbon and pinned the ribbon on the styrofoam head and then made a line with a sharpie for the measurement. I had to stretch the net further than the line because when you sew through the net and pull it, the net gets smaller. 

I also measure on my head how big I wanted my part to be and leave out area and used a pen that would show on the net and drew a line for that space. I sewed up to that line used fabric sealant on the line so the net wouldn't unravel then cut the space out. and voila a U-Part wig. LOL

Now i'm wearing one with a closure and have stopped sewing all the way around. I sew in front and put a comb in the back. ( just saw glamdollhair with hers like this)
</span>

What type of wig cap did you use
mzsophisticated View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2011 at 10:05am
mine came out really good, my first wig I made was a bobraz wig that I still wear to this day "avi pic". I have made 2 more wigs since then, "U" part and closure wig.
Some tips
1. Don't pull the thread too tight and try it on throughout the process because mine seemed to get smaller when I tried it on at the end. I think from thread being pulled tight.
2. Measure your head and mannequin head, if its too small then one tip I saw was to tape plastic cap stuff with something like grocery bags, plastic wrap etc to the mannequin head to increase the circumference.
3. Sew combs and not clips, they dont hurt as bad

I really prefer them over sew ins because its less tension on my fragile hair and I can get to my scalp and take care of my hair better. I can change up styles more often and I dont have to worry about styling the hair every morning. I take off the wig every night and the curls can last a week when I curl my straight wigs. I have not tried sewing them on yet but I may try that soon.

Edited by mzsophisticated - Sep 09 2011 at 10:08am
Bribby View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2011 at 10:29am
Do you all make the upart for a middle part sew in can it be done for a side part, not a side bang but a side part?
Lo0vely101 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2011 at 1:38pm
Thanks for the all info! Which cap do you ladies prefer? I really want to make one because I like the fact of switching the parts around to having a side or middle part...

Lolliren View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2011 at 1:41pm
I braided my hair how I planned to wear the wig, put a plastic cap on, then taped my head to make a mold. Stuff the mold a bit then pin it on the mannequin. Came out with my exact head size. Thumbs Up
OneLove1987 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2011 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by mzsophisticated mzsophisticated wrote:

mine came out really good, my first wig I made was a bobraz wig that I still wear to this day "avi pic". I have made 2 more wigs since then, "U" part and closure wig.
Some tips
1. Don't pull the thread too tight and try it on throughout the process because mine seemed to get smaller when I tried it on at the end. I think from thread being pulled tight.
2. Measure your head and mannequin head, if its too small then one tip I saw was to tape plastic cap stuff with something like grocery bags, plastic wrap etc to the mannequin head to increase the circumference.
3. Sew combs and not clips, they dont hurt as bad

I really prefer them over sew ins because its less tension on my fragile hair and I can get to my scalp and take care of my hair better. I can change up styles more often and I dont have to worry about styling the hair every morning. I take off the wig every night and the curls can last a week when I curl my straight wigs. I have not tried sewing them on yet but I may try that soon.

thanks so much for this! i made my first u part last weekend and its wearable but its not where near perfect. once i cut it for the u-part the wig was too big. then i cut off the elastic (i used a dome cap) and it was even bigger. i added wig clips and it's just irritating my scalp a lot.  should i make my next one with an adjustable wig cap you think?

thanks ladies.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic