Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Your experience at BHM

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your experience at BHM
    Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 3:06am
Thread by anthroplogygirl here:
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/your-experience-at-bhm_topic351430.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, I am a senior anthropology student and I am preparing to write a paper on an online community. I have visited sites such as this one in the past and I thought it would be an interesting topic to find out more about the community here at black hair media. I would like to interview people who are familiar with this site. I have included a questionnaire below and you can post your responses here or answer them in a private message. Thanks in advance!

1.     How did you learn all the terminology and abbreviations used on the site?

2.     Do you ever find yourself confused about the terminology or do you think that it is easy to figure out?

3.     How long have you been using blackhairmedia?

4.     What are the differences between the member statuses (i.e. platinum member, elite member, junior member, new member) and how does status affect interactions on the boards? Are there certain benefits to having a higher status? Do people trust the advice of higher status members more than that of lower status members?

5.     What boards do you most frequent?

6.     Why do you visit these boards the most?

7.     How would you describe the culture here at blackhairmedia (i.e. do you think it is competitive, supportive, hierarchical, etc.)?

8.     What do you like most about blackhairmedia?

9.     What do you like the least?

10.  Have you formed relationships with any members of blackhair? Do you ever specifically read posts if you see that they are by a certain member?

11.  Do you feel that you can freely discuss any topics that you want or do you feel that there are certain topics that are against the rules to discuss or that you would receive negative feedback from the other members?

12.  Would you be interested in conducting a more in-depth interview?
Sponsored Links

ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 3:31am
I asked other posters what it meant

Yes until I was told what they meant

I lurked for nearly a year before I joined so about 4 years now.
Statuses don't mean anything anymore. Sometimes it's a free pass to get away with things, sometimes it isn't. There have been platinum scammers and newbie scammers. Your history on the board is what makes your advice trustworthy or not. Sometimes good advice is good advice no matter who it comes from.

This one.

The foolishness and effery.

Some people take this ish way to seriously and some of the trolls.

Yes I have e-friendships with members here. Yes, I will click on a topic if it is posted by a certain poster but only if the topic sounds interesting.

Some topics can be freely discussed while some can't.

Depends on what the in-depth interview entails.

HTH.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 4:13am
1. google. =/
2. man i was always confused until i googled.

3. since 06 or 07 i think...i had another account.
4. theres no difference between the status really..only thing is you cant access certain sections..but you're not missing anything there. lol i dont trust alot of ppls advice, but im like that in real life too.

5. just this one. i dont go to the other anymore so its not mentioning.
6. pure comedy.

7. eh....let me get back to you on that.
8. we're a family!! Stern SmileBig smileConfused

9. when ppl bring up a quote you said 3 years ago to make/get a point/laugh. some ppl cant stay on topic without going back in time.

10. yup i talk to alot of ppl outside of bhm those are my loved ones. i go into every topic i dont care who started it.

11. i think any topic can be discussed but alot of them shouldnt....just cause some folks in the family are a little 51/50 imo...i might be one of them, not sure though.

12. no..no...no interview.

Edited by Lady ICE - Nov 30 2012 at 4:14am
babelipsss View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babelipsss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 7:01am
I don't understand why this post got bumped up here.Confused
EasterBell View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasterBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:00am
That is too many questions. I ain't answering all dat.
nala52808 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nala52808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:03am
My answer is yes to all the above. hope that helps.
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

Thread by anthroplogygirl here:
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/your-experience-at-bhm_topic351430.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, I am a senior anthropology student and I am preparing to write a paper on an online community. I have visited sites such as this one in the past and I thought it would be an interesting topic to find out more about the community here at black hair media. I would like to interview people who are familiar with this site. I have included a questionnaire below and you can post your responses here or answer them in a private message. Thanks in advance!

1.     How did you learn all the terminology and abbreviations used on the site?
context clues and time

2.     Do you ever find yourself confused about the terminology or do you think that it is easy to figure out?
no

5 years

4.     What are the differences between the member statuses (i.e. platinum member, elite member, junior member, new member) and how does status affect interactions on the boards? Are there certain benefits to having a higher status? Do people trust the advice of higher status members more than that of lower status members?
platinum was invite only, elite, junior, and new are based on post count. I think new is also based on time here. It just made for more drama and separation

bhm, lhcf

random chat, hair and health info

7.     How would you describe the culture here at blackhairmedia (i.e. do you think it is competitive, supportive, hierarchical, etc.)?
hierarchial

TTT

the inability for people to have differences of opinion

10.  Have you formed relationships with any members of blackhair? Do you ever specifically read posts if you see that they are by a certain member?
yes, no

11.  Do you feel that you can freely discuss any topics that you want or do you feel that there are certain topics that are against the rules to discuss or that you would receive negative feedback from the other members?
you will get slack for certain topics, like light skin vs dark skin and threads about fat vs thick

no
_leah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _leah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:12am
1.     How did you learn all the terminology and abbreviations used on the site? Still don't know them all, don't really use abbreviations that much

2.     Do you ever find yourself confused about the terminology or do you think that it is easy to figure out? No I can understand the basics

3.     How long have you been using blackhairmedia? I've been visiting the site since 2006

4.     What are the differences between the member statuses (i.e. platinum member, elite member, junior member, new member) and how does status affect interactions on the boards? Are there certain benefits to having a higher status? Do people trust the advice of higher status members more than that of lower status members? I'm not sure I just assume the longer you've been on the board the higher the status. I'm not sure what there is to trust or not trust about people I will never meet, the interactions are what you make them, insert yourself in a conversation make your point and continue browsing.

5.     What boards do you most frequent? Weave

6.     Why do you visit these boards the most? I love weave

7.     How would you describe the culture here at blackhairmedia (i.e. do you think it is competitive, supportive, hierarchical, etc.)? I posted a thread about having trust issues everyone was supportive and provided their insight.

8.     What do you like most about blackhairmedia? Getting opinions on subjects and situations that are unbiased, sometimes it's hard to get the truth from people close to you.

9.     What do you like the least? I try to pull the positives and leave before I have a reason to like something the least. 

10.  Have you formed relationships with any members of blackhair? Do you ever specifically read posts if you see that they are by a certain member? No.

11.  Do you feel that you can freely discuss any topics that you want or do you feel that there are certain topics that are against the rules to discuss or that you would receive negative feedback from the other members? Sure, as with people outside of the internet, certain topics like politics, race relations, etc invoke those with strong personalities and opinions. 

12.  Would you be interested in conducting a more in-depth interview? No
laceyfront View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote laceyfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

I just picked it up after being her so long

Its easy to figure out

Since 2006

When it comes to every section except TTT you need to suck up knowledge from the people who have been here longest because they have tons of info on lacefronts, weaves, natural hair, perms etc. Other than that I don't see a huge difference in status, you can be new and still be popular around here.

TTT, and Weave

Celeb gossip, messiness and to get info on hair

Messy

Getting celeb gossip first, and the mess.

It's getting a little dry around here.

Nope, but I do specifically skip over certain members.

Yes, nothing is off limits here.

Girl this wore me out.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply