Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Your experience at BHM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
anthroplogygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote anthroplogygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your experience at BHM
    Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 2:23pm

Hello, I am a senior anthropology student and I am preparing to write a paper on an online community. I have visited sites such as this one in the past and I thought it would be an interesting topic to find out more about the community here at black hair media. I would like to interview people who are familiar with this site. I have included a questionnaire below and you can post your responses here or answer them in a private message. Thanks in advance!

1.     How did you learn all the terminology and abbreviations used on the site?

2.     Do you ever find yourself confused about the terminology or do you think that it is easy to figure out?

3.     How long have you been using blackhairmedia?

4.     What are the differences between the member statuses (i.e. platinum member, elite member, junior member, new member) and how does status affect interactions on the boards? Are there certain benefits to having a higher status? Do people trust the advice of higher status members more than that of lower status members?

5.     What boards do you most frequent?

6.     Why do you visit these boards the most?

7.     How would you describe the culture here at blackhairmedia (i.e. do you think it is competitive, supportive, hierarchical, etc.)?

8.     What do you like most about blackhairmedia?

9.     What do you like the least?

10.  Have you formed relationships with any members of blackhair? Do you ever specifically read posts if you see that they are by a certain member?

11.  Do you feel that you can freely discuss any topics that you want or do you feel that there are certain topics that are against the rules to discuss or that you would receive negative feedback from the other members?

12.  Would you be interested in conducting a more in-depth interview?

Sponsored Links

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 11:47pm
I think it would be better to ask the girls who have been members for a while....but since you don't have enough points (meaning not a lot of posts + being "thanked for" gives you points) you cannot post on Talk section for everyone who is junior member and above.
Post a bit more on sections that you can help and then try to either open a thread on the talk section for everyone or just post in one of the already open threads there.
Prazol60 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 3:21am
1.   How did you learn all the terminology and abbreviations used on the site?

There are several threads in the hair part which helped also just google

2.     Do you ever find yourself confused about the terminology or do you think that it is easy to figure out?

Easy

Two and a half years

4.     What are the differences between the member statuses (i.e. platinum member, elite member, junior member, new member) and how does status affect interactions on the boards? Are there certain benefits to having a higher status? Do people trust the advice of higher status members more than that of lower status members?

Depends on where you post. As a platinum member you can see other boards that normal members can not see. This private fourm is kinda boring. I would not trust the advice of a new member in the hair boards. Many of them are scammers.

Weaves and TTT

They hold my interest

7.     How would you describe the culture here at blackhairmedia (i.e. do you think it is competitive, supportive, hierarchical, etc.)?

Hair boards are supportive, TTT is rough. I find it can be supportive but many times a normal topic turns ugly due to a few members.

The knowlegde of members are hair issues and the one-liners in TTT

Lack of deep political topics without name calling, no clear moderation

10.  Have you formed relationships with any members of blackhair? Do you ever specifically read posts if you see that they are by a certain member?

Yes but I know this person offline too

11.  Do you feel that you can freely discuss any topics that you want or do you feel that there are certain topics that are against the rules to discuss or that you would receive negative feedback from the other members?

No

Depends on how more in-depth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote anthroplogygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:40pm
Thanks so much for your reply! Can you clarify number 11? Did you mean no, you don't think that you can talk about anything or no, there are no topics that would be received badly by other members?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote anthroplogygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

I think it would be better to ask the girls who have been members for a while....but since you don't have enough points (meaning not a lot of posts + being "thanked for" gives you points) you cannot post on Talk section for everyone who is junior member and above.
Post a bit more on sections that you can help and then try to either open a thread on the talk section for everyone or just post in one of the already open threads there.

Yes, I only posted in the new member section since I couldn't start a new topic on the other thread. I suppose I will try posting on one of the open threads since I can't wait four months to reach junior status. My paper is due in a few weeks lol Smile. I was just afraid people will get mad if I post something off topic. 
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 11:44pm
you don't have to wait four months...where did you read that?
i signed up early this month and in less than 2 weeks I was already a junior member because i was posting and being thanked for)
Prazol60 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 3:01am
No topic that will be received badly. Even topics which a lot of people might not like, there are still posters that will post in the topic seriously in TTT.  
Prazol60 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 3:38am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote anthroplogygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

Good luck with your study!
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/your-experience-at-bhm_topic351506. - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/your-experience-at-bhm_topic351506.html

Thanks so much for the repost!
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 2:33pm
How did you learn all the terminology and abbreviations used on the site?
I usually ask but most of the time I kind of infer what it means based on the context it is used, if that makes sense.
  Some forums have a list of what the abbreviations.

PrePretty easy.  I have been a member of various hairboards so it is somewhat a standard.

I wanna say almost 10 years.  This is my second screenname.  Last one I forgot the password and it was connected to an email account I disabled years ago.

I

I   I honestly don't see much of a difference between member statuses except where you can start threads.  Otherwise, me being a ____ member doesn't open keys to the kingdom for me.

I frequent BHM, specifically the Natural Hair threads and maybe TTT.

I  I have natural hair and need ideas to maintain  and style it.

Clique-y but not necessarily in a bad way.  It kind of reminds high school, but this time I am not pressed to curry favors from folks.  But I will say this, if you are sincere, folks will go out of their way to help you. 

It's somewhat honest.

Too many things to mention.

I wouldn't say relationship but something of a rapport with several members in a sense that I respect their ideas and opinions and they make me think.  Not really but when I see it, I am somewhat jazzed about it.

I feel no hindrance in discussing anything that is considered taboo.   It's just seems like number of the threads in TTT is superficial and frankly I don't feel compelled to comment.

Sure.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style