Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - You should NEVER deep condition after a relaxer...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedYou should NEVER deep condition after a relaxer...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
mysspooh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by NaturalNigerian NaturalNigerian wrote:

Originally posted by mysspooh mysspooh wrote:

i know this is off topic but i need help so i decided to post in a topic with alot of replies.. sorry Unhappy

well im gettin a relaxer tomorrow..  i havent washed in hair in 2 weeks due to bein sick. ive jus been moisturizing and bunning. i know that your hair needs more protein b4 a relaxer so  i was thinking about doin a protein treatment with eggs tonight.. no washing or scratching.. just rinse it out with my fingers and air dry.. good idea or jus leave my hair alone

i dont know if it would be too much manipulating right before a relaxer or if the water will open my pores or something.. idk.. jus seeking for help.

tia

The protein treatment is supposed to strengthen your hair after you break it down with the relaxer, so it probably will not do much if you do it before you get a relaxer. The best time to penetrate your hair with protein is immediately after a relaxer. You also don't want to have to shampoo to get it out, and the eggs could stick to your hair and block the relaxer, causing you to be underprocessed.

If your scalp is really dirty you may want to just do a regular wash and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner then wait a full day or two before you get the relaxer, but if your scalp and newgrowth is clean enough you can just get the relaxer tomorrow and then the protein treatment. When I relaxed my sister's hair I put the relaxer in, smoothed, rinsed, did the protein treatment, then rinse and used the neutralizing shampoo.
ok thanks naturalnigerian so i wont do the protein treatment tonight but my hair doesnt feel or look dirty. i had been using my fantasia ic heat protectant last week which has cones in it but mostly on my ends. and i oiled my scalp wit a coconut/grape seed/raw shea butter mixture 2 days ago and im pretty sure it got on my new growth. do u think that would cause me to ne underprocessed.
tia
Sponsored Links

bronzeg View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 1:08pm

i know this is off topic but i need help so i decided to post in a topic with alot of replies.. sorry Unhappy

well im gettin a relaxer tomorrow..  i havent washed in hair in 2 weeks due to bein sick. ive jus been moisturizing and bunning. i know that your hair needs more protein b4 a relaxer so  i was thinking about doin a protein treatment with eggs tonight.. no washing or scratching.. just rinse it out with my fingers and air dry.. good idea or jus leave my hair alone

i dont know if it would be too much manipulating right before a relaxer or if the water will open my pores or something.. idk.. jus seeking for help.

tia
i think you should leave your hair alone....just detangle properly with lots of oil! try to avoid getting oil on the NG
Carib_n_curly View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by 2coreysluvum 2coreysluvum wrote:

Originally posted by Carib_n_curly Carib_n_curly wrote:

most people just told her to deep conditioner and use a neutralizer because normal shampoo doesn't stop your hair relaxing.

vadouble said the neutralizers that change colour are only for colour changeDead and normal shampoos are ok and that you don't deep condition but use conditioner and she worked in a salon for a whole 6 months. the state of her air was another story, bleached and dry to high heaven

In her defense..( I dont know her by any means) I have seen other pics of her and her hair didnt look as bad...I could even venture to say it looked okay....
i agree,  her hair in her other pics  didn't look that bad but on the how to relax videoDead i don't think she should of closed her account
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 10:06am
Originally posted by ElectricLady ElectricLady wrote:

I bet this chick goes to a fast food restaurant and dips her hair in the fryer and calls it a hot oil treatment.

DeadLOLLOLLOL
          LOL    LOL    LOL
            LOLLOLDeadLOL
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 10:14am
Originally posted by 305bgirl 305bgirl wrote:

* but seriously, i was wondering how long i should wait to shampoo my hair after i get a relaxer & style...i usually shampoo once a week and DC twice a week but should i wait a while to continue the shampooing(i was wondering if my hair would be too fragile after the relaxer to shampoo)?????? i'm asking this bcuz my hair tends to feel sort of dry after my relaxers& i don't want the shampoo drying it out even more...btw i DC about a week after the relaxer but i wait 2 weeks to shampoo...is that ok?

Two weeks is perfectWink. I wait two weeks before I shampoo after a relaxer too. For those two weeks I do co-washes and at least two moisturizing DCs.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 10:18am
Originally posted by soglambitious soglambitious wrote:

I don't really think there is a time limit on when you can shampoo again after a relaxer treatment. If your hair is dry after the relaxer try just co-washing your hair and then DC as usual. And I personally would never recommend going two weeks between shampoos or co-washes. The hair needs to be cleaned in some capacity AT least weekly. 3-4 days seems more ideal.

Remember that co-washes do cleanse, just much more gently than shampoo.
So she can co-wash for two weeks before shampooing. Relaxers are very stripping/drying, so to shampoo too soon after IMO, is drying out the hair further.
I think the hair needs time to recuperate and re-adjust before shampooing which is always harsh, even the ones with moisturizing properties.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 10:34am

Well, this response is late, but you should definitely leave it alone. No form of manipulation especially 24 hours before a relaxer. Plus, you dont want to strip the hair of whatever oils that are on it and your scalp...these will help to combat the harmful effects of the relaxer, as well as protect your scalp

The protein treatment is supposed to strengthen your hair after you break it down with the relaxer, so it probably will not do much if you do it before you get a relaxer.

No, it is actually advisable to do a protein treatment before and after a relaxer. Doing it before will strengthen your hair to better prepare for the relaxer. However, it should be done maybe a week or two before the relaxer, not the day before...

Edited by Wildfire - Nov 16 2009 at 10:59am
RelaxedDiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 11:14am
Yep, me too. I felt sorry for her. But seriously, she didn't have to dismantle the vid from YT. If you want to do right for your hair, follow the advice of a pro who knows, and not from someone whose inexperienced. Most of us don't know how to do our hair, let alone what your mom claims will work. Not! Take this lesson to heart. That's what this board is here to help. Thank you
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 11:26am

Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Well, this response is late, but you should definitely leave it alone. No form of manipulation especially 24 hours before a relaxer. Plus, you dont want to strip the hair of whatever oils that are on it and your scalp...these will help to combat the harmful effects of the relaxer, as well as protect your scalp

The protein treatment is supposed to strengthen your hair after you break it down with the relaxer, so it probably will not do much if you do it before you get a relaxer.

No, it is actually advisable to do a protein treatment before and after a relaxer. Doing it before will strengthen your hair to better prepare for the relaxer. However, it should be done maybe a week or two before the relaxer, not the day before...

My answer was pretty much under the assumption she does regular protein treatments anyway, hence me telling her its not a good idea to do one right before relaxing.

Protein treatments are harsh, so to do one, then get a relaxer the same or even next day is not going to help. But after a relaxer it helps protect the hair after its broken down.

i'm not sure i understand what you mean... ive always seen on this board and elsewhere where its recommended to do a protein treatment when you have a relaxer coming up...some at two weeks, some long before that...are you saying a protein treatment shouldnt be done to prep for a relaxer? (I did agree that a mere day before is not a good idea, soi i'm not talking about a day or two before, but in the weeks leading up to the realxer.).

Yes, true, most of us do regular protein treatments every week anyway, but many ladies specifically prep for a relaxer by doing the aphogee heavy duty protein treatment (for example), 4-6 weeks before their relaxer.

Edited by Wildfire - Nov 13 2009 at 4:58pm
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 11:43am

wildfire, not EVERYONE does that.

That hard aphogee protein treatment can kill your hair, if some people do that good for them but that is not something you can just suggest for everybody, no matter who on BHM uses it. That treatment is specifically designated to use after a chemical service like a relaxer, or if you have damaged hair, but if it works for some people to just use it in between relaxers like that (which I haven't heard of but if you say so) then that's on them. But please don't just suggest that for everyone with a relaxer. That could cause some serious breakage.

Regular protein treatments should be just fine for most people, including the one immediately after the relaxer. That is why the Aphogee makes a 2 step treatment that is not too harsh.

True, hence I used the aphogee treatment as an example. Some people do light-moderate protein treatments to prep for a relaxer. What youre saying is not what I learnt on BHM and otherwise --if youre right, then all the other ladies such as Claudie, etc, have been wrong all along.

I doubt that, so I'll beg to differ and perhaps someone who knows more than either of us could come in and clear this up.

Edited by Wildfire - Nov 13 2009 at 11:49am
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic