Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - WTH Was The Crazy BHMer who Recommended SALT ?????
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

WTH Was The Crazy BHMer who Recommended SALT ?????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MizzBrit View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MizzBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by natural girl natural girl wrote:

Originally posted by MizzBrit MizzBrit wrote:

i have some "coarse" sea salt i got from a Spanish supermarket..is that good enough?
im not gonna knock it until i try it..and if anything can get my hair soft and detangled easy..im ALL for it.Tongue

i only detangle about 1-4x every couple of months due to me being in protective styles.
brit brat you're gonna have to find a way to grind it. It needs to dissolve when you add to the condish and I'm not sure if it's as coarse as you say, if it will dissolve. If you don't have a salt grinder, put a tsp in a ziploc bag and WHACK IT! LOL

Cry
lmaooo
do you knwo how crazy my family will look at me..its not that cause..the salt are little balls the size of umm..lemme get a visual.the size of my salts are just a  bit biggerConfused

Edited by MizzBrit - Oct 15 2009 at 1:45pm
Sponsored Links

natural girl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by blaque_sassi blaque_sassi wrote:

Aw. Mixing salt into my conditioner didn't work for me. My hair is tangled... And I didn't notice less breakage or shedding. Guess I'll stick to random saltings on the beach.
try it with regular conditioner before you give up! use less next time. did you use sea salt?
natural girl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 8:16pm

Aw. Mixing salt into my conditioner didn't work for me. My hair is tangled... And I didn't notice less breakage or shedding. Guess I'll stick to random saltings on the beach. [IMG]smileys/smiley36.gif" align="middle" />
try it with regular conditioner before you give up! use less next time. did you use sea salt?

Wait... wait...!

*holds hand up in the air and feels head*

I've been airdrying for a while and I just reached up to touch it and... *touches hair a bit more*

it's fluffly as hell!

maybe I just don't get that instant gratification like yall do, lol

eta: I came back just to post this
LOLLOLLOLLOLyes, it makes you THAT enthusiastic. Next time use less.
tru_blu09 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tru_blu09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 8:27pm
^
ayshia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ayshia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 8:35pm
is this also supposed to help with breakage???
laz22girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laz22girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 8:51pm

Aw. Mixing salt into my conditioner didn't work for me. My hair is tangled... And I didn't notice less breakage or shedding. Guess I'll stick to random saltings on the beach.

Wait... wait...!

*holds hand up in the air and feels head*

I've been airdrying for a while and I just reached up to touch it and... *touches hair a bit more*

it's fluffly as hell!

maybe I just don't get that instant gratification like yall do, lol

eta: I came back just to post this
yes, it makes you THAT enthusiastic. Next time use less.

lol... Man now yall got me with my hands constantly in my hair... You should see me bouncing all extra hard when I walk because I know it's fluffin up behind me... I'm so tempted to flat iron... WHY BHM! WHY did you introduce me to this?! So many temptations...
wit yo thick azz hairAngry

LOLLOL

I completely forgot about this...I could have used them on my sister's hair when I took her twists down. Her poor hair was about to start locing so detangling was a nightmare!
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 12:52am
When my hair used to easily be tangled, this idea would have been handy.
I have read recipes calling to add milk, honey or sugar, but salt... only on BHMLOL
I will try it but I will add just a pinch of salt in enough for one wash, just in case I don't like the result.

Edited by sexyandfamous - Feb 13 2014 at 12:52am
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 8:18am
Salt is VERY DRYING to the hair. Please do not do this! Just because someone tried it on their hair and said it felt fluffy that does not mean it helped their hair. Just for your information.... SALT IS USED TO MAKE THE HAIR KNOT UP TO DREAD LOCKS. So I don't know if dred locked matted effect is what you're going for, but it is NOT what I ever go for. I think the original poster was just imagining it felt nice and we surely have no long term reports on how their hair started dissolving after months of salt  but it's your hair. 

Why do you think people try to correct the damage from sea salt from Summer swims?  Because the salt in the ocean damaged their hair!! HELLO! People try to AVOID too much salt damaging their hair when they go to the beach by putting coconut oil on the hair first to block it out. Yes your hair usually IS fluffy when you come back from the beach, it is also usually DRY AND DAMAGED for a while too. Is that what you're also going for? LOL

More information on what salt does to the hair:
"Salt is a natural abrasive. If salt is left in the hair for too long then it can rub away at the cuticles and also the scalp causing damage and hair loss. Salt also draws out water. It is dehydrating when used excessively. So again salt in the hair can cause dryness. It also strips hair of oil and can take off the outer keratin coating of the hair, as it can break down protein bonds, leading to excessive dryness. That is why it is recommended to wash your hair often when exercising. All the salt in sweat can have these negative effects and build up in your hair if you exercise regularly (everyday or every other day) and lead to breakage."
http://nadiasnotes.com/2010/10/14/qa-is-sea-salt-good-or-bad-for-our-hair/

But hey! if you want hair loss, excessive damage, dryness, loss of outer keratin layer, break down of protein bonds, baldness CryCry hey Go for it!!! LOL

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 19 2014 at 8:45am
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 9:24am
I am sorry I am being biased here. People use a lot of natural products from around the house to produce different desired effects on their hair.   Hey, after the Civil War, people discovered that washing their hair with pot ash, water and lard  OR with lye soaps straightened it. YES it damages but it also produced a desired effect.

SO,  those who have limp, naturally straight, thin hair and find that salt tightens the curls and tightens the kinks. Yes that is a fact, although it damages the hair. So who am I to say that those who want tighter curls should not use salt even though it also damages like lye damages to straighten. It is YOUR hair so YOU decide whether you want it tighter or looser. So there are many food stuffs and other products which DO produce many desired effects on the hair. Salt is one of them. SALT DOES NOT DETANGLE THE HAIR. But it does make your curls shrink tighter and it does TANGLE the hair, and it also dries it out and fuzzes it up. A lot of white sisters DO want fuzzier, tighter curls that is a little drier and fluffier. So yeah, if you want fuzzier, drier, tighter shrunken curls, then salt is for you. Do not use salt thinking it will detangle because IT WILL NOT. In fact it does tangle more.   

Lye damages and straightens. Salt damages and  draws up the hair making it more wiry. So both options are available with risk. I would say pick your poison. For those relaxed sisters who want more texture, please do not pick TWO poisons. I would recommend just relaxing less... texlaxing instead.

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 19 2014 at 10:26am
1cutechick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1cutechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 3:07pm
Sea salt....really? Im so excited to try this. For some reason I just don't believe that this will soften my hair but its def worth a try
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
  Share Topic