Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - WTF? R Simmons Network Release 'H Tubman Sex Tape'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

WTF? R Simmons Network Release 'H Tubman Sex Tape'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 6:12pm
Sponsored Links

zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 6:15pm

Harriet Tubman relative demands personal apology from Russell Simmons for ‘awful’ sex tape parody

Harriet Tubman

Harriet Tubman pictured with a group of formerly enslaved African-Americans, in an undated photo.

In an emotionally-charged interview with theGrio, Rita Daniels says, “When I looked at it [the Harriet Tubman sex tape] tears streamed down my eyes. This is a woman who helped people. She was not about this.”
One of the direct descendants of legendary abolitionist Harriet Tubman has launched a scathing attack on Russell Simmons’ “crude and insensitive” depiction of her great-great-aunt.

“She was on the run from slave masters. There was a bounty on her head. For her to get into a relationship like that would have been far-fetched,” she added.

Daniels, the great-great-grand-niece of Tubman, was responding to the widely condemned parody video that portrays the abolitionist, along with a fellow slave, conspiring to make a sex tape of Tubman with her master to bribe him to protect runaways.

The video was posted Wednesday. It appeared on Russell Simmons’ All Def Digital YouTube channel.

She describes the three-minute clip as an “awful video” and “nasty portrayal” of Tubman as a “whoremonger” that has “tainted her reputation.”

Daniels, who now resides in Atlanta, but was raised in Auburn, N.Y., where Tubman settled after the Civil War, says the family is “torn by the video” which is an “abomination to my great-great-aunt Harriet’s legacy and does not depict her accurately.”

The clip has been widely condemned as distorting Tubman’s legacy and making a mockery of slave rape.

In response to the backlash, Simmons was quick to issue an apology Thursday. But Daniels says, “for the people has he most hurt, this is not enough.”

“If he really means that apology he needs to call me,” she adds. She also dares the hip-hop mogul to put his money where his mouth is and back an apology to the family with concrete action to elevate Tubman’s legacy.

“He has got to fix what he messed up by contacting the family, educating himself; [he has to] work on educating other people and by doing something positive to fix what he broke.”

“A lot of these women were married,” says Daniels. “Whenever their slave master decided he wanted them they had no choice. It was abusive. They couldn’t say no. It was survival.”

What angers her most is that the younger generation may not know enough about Tubman and her unwavering commitment to the abolitionist cause, she says. “For those people who have viewed it they’re going to think that’s what she was about.”

It comes at a particularly “bad time,” says Daniels. This year marks the 100th anniversary of Tubman’s death.

“All these things have given honor to Tubman then along comes Simmons with his negative of depiction of what she stood for.”

Tubman was born into slavery before escaping in 1849. She led hundreds of slaves to freedom as part of the anti-slavery resistance network known as the Underground Railroad.

Follow Kunbi Tinuoye on Twitter at @Kunbiti

zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 6:15pm
Man, that was a great pic as well. :( not showing 
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 6:25pm
If I am ever blessed to meet Shanna, I pray to God that I am close enough to spit on her.
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 7:02pm
Not working

Edited by Jess - Aug 17 2013 at 7:02pm
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 7:07pm
Fukk this dodo headAngry

Russell Simmons: I Plan to “Develop” Story of Harriet Tubman After Sex Tape Backlash

Russell Simmons has a new Harriet Tubman project in mind — and it’s not a sex tape.

Earlier this week, the mogul apologized for and pulled down a controversial comedy video featuring an actress portraying the Underground Railroad icon making a sex video with her “master” in 1851.

The clip had premiered on Simmons’ All Def Digital channel on YouTube.

On Saturday, Simmons took to Twitter to indicate that he may be backing a less comedic, more comprehensive treatment of Tubman in the future.

“I recently moved to hollywood I have began producing lots of content one of the things is a miniseries on Fredrick Douglas,” said Simmons.

He continued, “The last few dayz I have been speaking to some of the direct descendants of Harriet Tubman. (Rita and Geraldine Daniels).”

“They have not only accepted my apology but we agree that we should begin immediately to develop the story of Harriet Tubman,” added Simmons.

He concluded, “God works in mysterious ways. Thank you Rita and Geraldine Daniels You and your great great grandmother are amazing inspiration. #newfriends.”

Russell Simmons: I Plan to "Develop" Story of Harriet Tubman After Sex Tape Backlash | Gossip Cop
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 7:09pm
russell. her fam should know better
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 7:47pm
How much money did he offer?
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

Fukk this dodo headAngry

Russell Simmons: I Plan to “Develop” Story of Harriet Tubman After Sex Tape Backlash

Russell Simmons has a new Harriet Tubman project in mind — and it’s not a sex tape.

Earlier this week, the mogul apologized for and pulled down a controversial comedy video featuring an actress portraying the Underground Railroad icon making a sex video with her “master” in 1851.

The clip had premiered on Simmons’ All Def Digital channel on YouTube.

On Saturday, Simmons took to Twitter to indicate that he may be backing a less comedic, more comprehensive treatment of Tubman in the future.

“I recently moved to hollywood I have began producing lots of content one of the things is a miniseries on Fredrick Douglas,” said Simmons.

He continued, “The last few dayz I have been speaking to some of the direct descendants of Harriet Tubman. (Rita and Geraldine Daniels).”

“They have not only accepted my apology but we agree that we should begin immediately to develop the story of Harriet Tubman,” added Simmons.

He concluded, “God works in mysterious ways. Thank you Rita and Geraldine Daniels You and your great great grandmother are amazing inspiration. #newfriends.”

Russell Simmons: I Plan to "Develop" Story of Harriet Tubman After Sex Tape Backlash | Gossip Cop

"God works in mysterious ways."  Why do people always say this shyt when the situation is so damn obvious?  What kind of idiot would not expect backlash from a Harriet Tubman sex tape?  Just STOP.
indiecat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote indiecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 1:55am
Russel, please return your black card
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic