Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

WTF? He Must Finish 98 Yr Prison Sentence!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTF? He Must Finish 98 Yr Prison Sentence!
    Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 7:20am
http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014/06/turning-life-around-man-mistakenly-released-prison-ordered-finish-98-year-sentence/
there's a video in the article but I can't embed it
After Turning His Life Around, Man Mistakenly Released From Prison Ordered to Finish 98 Year Sentence

by Britni Danielle — Jun 6, 2014

Rene Lima-Marin is back in a Colorado correctional facility after serving a decade in prison for robbing two video stores with an unloaded shotgun gun. At the time of his crime, Lima-Marin was just 19-years-old and headed down the wrong path, but unlike many ex-felons who return to prison for committing another crime, Lima-Marin turned his life around, got married, had children, and bought a house. Now, he faces an impossible 98-year sentence all because of an error.

In April 2008, Lima-Marin was released from prison after being convicted of eight charges stemming from his robberies. Although he normally would have been sentenced to anywhere from four to 16 years, he was aggressively prosecuted under a now-defunct Colorado policy. Although no one was hurt in either incident, Lima-Marin was given 98 years in prison.

“Ninety-eight years for what? You know, for what?” he told local reporters.

“People have raped, molested kids, taken lives and had 15, 20, 25 years,” Lima-Marin said. “And I made a mistake and tried to steal some money, and I am given my entire life in prison?”

He added: “I acknowledge the fact that I did something wrong. I take responsibility for the fact that I did something wrong. But I also believe I completed the punishment.”

After serving a decade in prison as a model inmate, Lima-Marin’s appeal lawyer said his sentenced had been reduced.

“She came to visit me, said you no longer have 98 years, you basically are given 16 years, which is what we were fighting for anyway,” he explained.

Unfortunately, his attorney was wrong; so were the documents filed with the court.

Before being sent back to prison in January, Lima-Marin had it all: a wife and two beautiful children, something that wouldn’t have been possible had he spent his life languishing in jail.

“I would have never had a wife. I would have never had children. I would have never bought a house. I would have never done any of those things,” Lima-Marin said. “But I did those because you let me out. And now they are being punished for something they had absolutely nothing to do with.”

While Lima-Marin takes responsibility for his past crimes, he wants to make it clear he has turned his life around and has paid his debt to society.

“I want people to see, is that I’m not that guy,” he said. “I don’t deserve 98 years. I deserve the time that I did.”

Some are calling on Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper to commute Lima-Marin’s sentence and set him free. If Gov. Hickenlooper does not act, Lima-Marin will be eligible for parole in 2054, when he’s 75.

Lima-Marin’s family started a petition to help pressure Colorado Attorney General John Suthers, Arapahoe County Chief Judge William Blair Sylvester, and Colorado Appeals Chief Judge Alan Loeb to release him from prison. So far, it has more than 23,000 signatures.

Learn more or sign the petition here.

Sponsored Links

sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 7:45am
wow  what kinda justice system is this?Why is he still in Colorado??
keelolo1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote keelolo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 8:53am
I'd earn the fukc out of them 98 years. I'm killing the judge the lawyer hell even the court reporter. No fukcs would be given. 
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 11:09am
thats crazy retarded….. 

im gonna sign the petition. 
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 11:17am
That's a shame. But one thing they do not play about is armed robbery.

I posted a story in the Crazy News Stories thread about about young man they gave 30 years in an armed robbery where no one was hurt. They care more about money than people's lives.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 11:23am
theyre such a nice looking family… 

id be heartbroken to have my freedom sooner than i thought.. start a new life.. then have it yanked from me because of incompetent fools… 

harley_quinn View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harley_quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 12:04pm
I feel sorry for the family. Poor wife.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 12:25pm
Sad. smh. kinda 
reminds me of Stephen Fray got 84 years for supposedly "hijacking" a plane, in which no one was hurt, and although it was proven that he was suffering from depression and was mentally unstable at the time.

Yet murderers are walking. 

Edited by Wildfire - Jun 07 2014 at 12:26pm
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 12:36pm
Welcome to united states where 10 percent of the nation is run by despots while the other 90 percent allows them to. Take back your country!
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 12:39pm
Ugh so much injustice in the world.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic