BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Would you renovate a rental?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Im_oh_so_hott View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Im_oh_so_hott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 7:46am
Can't do that here.
Sponsored Links

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 8:31am
i've done it.  once when we lived in military housing and once when i lived in my uncles building.  i have to have my living space comfy.  i knew it was basically a sunk cost but i didn't care...
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:49am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

good advice, yall. 

i rent mostly because i'm single and my job location can change at a moment's notice and make my commute impossible so i'm still in the inbetween unsure phase. i like the place overall though. it's really big and ish but i don't want a mortgate until i'm really settled. 

I feel since you are in a transient phase, you shouldn't waste your money on a major renovation project like changing tiles and flooring right now.  Save your money and wait, especially since you do like the place except for the bathroom.
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:11am
There's this website called save the pink bathrooms. I thought it was cute. Maybe reading about them will make you feel a little more affectionate towards the deco:-)
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:44am
thanks so much for sharing your advice and experience guys. i really appreciate it!

@herwoman, i kinda dig the idea of grey with the pink and brown. might just work.

i like the websites you guys mentioned. they're cute.Thumbs Up
Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

off the top, no

But if you plan to be there for years and the owner will deduct the renovation cost from your rent and it'll make you happy

Then why not

This... 
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:52pm
there are? hmmm...lemme go look
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:52pm
Could you paint the tile neutral? White or similar?there are kits

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:54pm

this is removable - for tiles on the wall of course

1.  Change the Backsplash.  If you’re lucky, you’ll have decent cabinets in your rental but if you dislike the backsplash there is good news, you can always change it. Sure you won’t be ripping out tile but here are some smart and equally effective ideas. Nester wasn’t crazy about the pinkish tile in hers so she installed white beadboard panels to lighten up the look in her rental home.

white beadboard backsplash nestingplace copy

Nesting Place

Jessica at Four Generations One Roof took it to the next level with her removable backsplash where she installed beautiful glass tile on panels, ones she can take with her or reuse in the future.

glass tile backsplash in rental fourgenerationsoneroof

Four Generations One Roof

Mount boards covered with chalkboard paint, consider tin tiles either plain or painted; tattoo your tiles with a few of the available products, or use vinyl to add a pattern to a plain backsplash wall. Did you know there are peel and stick tiles on the market? Time to get creative incorporate a look you love that you can install as a temporary solution while you live with someone else’s design choices.

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jun 06 2014 at 12:56pm
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:56pm

Solutions for Renters: Bathrooms

April 25, 2013

Hello hello, how are you? I thought I’d continue the Solutions for Renters series today and chat about the bathroom – a space that poses challenges equal to kitchens in rentals since most everything is fixed. The cabinets, the fixtures, the tile. Yep, you’re stuck with it. So how do you make the space feel more like you? I thought about all the ways to tackle the job and came up with ten solutions.

1. Curtains with Style.  Add a happy shower curtain in a bold floral or a mod geometric and suddenly the space has more color and personality.

bathroom shower curtain bhg[2]

Better Homes & Gardens

botanical shower curtain tenjune

Ten June

floral shower curtain bhg

Better Homes & Gardens

2. Hide the floor. A stylish floor mat helps to disguise flooring and also brings comfort underfoot. There are plenty of retail options or you can get creative with a DIY project. As an alternative, ask if the landlord will allow you to adhere peel and stick linoleum tiles.

bath mats

west elm / garnet hill / east coast creative

3.  Skirt the Sink.  Fabric softens a space and also hides toiletries, think about stitching up your own version to disguise the cabinet or pedestal below the sink.

skirted bathroom sink

Cote de Texas

bathroom vanity skirt bhg[2]

Better Homes & Gardens

skirted sink leverone design

Leverone Design

4.  Add Extra Storage.  Look for extra space wherever you can find it, from the inside the vanity cabinet to freestanding containers or storage units.

shelving inside cabinet bhg

Better Homes & Gardens

rental bathroom

Apartment Therapy

wisteria table

Wisteria

5.  Accessorize with Your Personality.  Bring favorite finds into the bathroom like a rustic chair, table, ladder, or a storage cabinet. Turn shelves or walls into a mini art gallery. Paper the inside of the medicine cabinet. It’s small touches like these that add charm and will make the space more cheerful and more you.

bathroom table storage bhg[2]

Better Homes & Gardens

bathroom with pink accents

art filled bathroom

sources unknown

papered cabinet bhg

Better Homes & Gardens  west elm accessories

West Elm

6. Rock the Vintage Tile.  We’ve all seen those bathrooms tiled in colorful ceramics from way back in the day. Instead of fighting it, go with it and have fun while you’re doing so by either playing off the retro vibe or adding modern touches.

yellow vintage tile yhl

Young House Love 

vintage tile apt therapy

Apartment Therapy

pink tile bathroom yhl

Young House Love

7.  Refinish the Tub and/or Tile.  To save money in a bathroom remodel last year, we used an epoxy kit to rescue the dingy tub. Since it’s a permanent solution, make sure you get permission from your landlord but is an affordable way to cover tile that’s in desperate need of a facelift!

tub and tile epoxy

alma project/ rustoleum kit / homax kit / cottage in the oaks

8. Cover with Temporary Wallpapers. Get the look of the permanent versions by spending a few bucks on temporary removable wallpapers to add that dash of panache to your plain bathroom walls.

temporary wallpapers

pulp design studios / honeycomb / blue floral / jade marrakesh

9.  Hang Window Shades or Privacy Film.  Window treatments offer privacy and also the opportunity to bring fabric or texture into a bathroom space. Modern privacy films are another way to add subtle pattern and protect you from neighbor’s eyes while you primp.

window shade lonny

Lonny

privacy window film

1 / 2

clementine and olive bathroom

Clementine and Olive

10.  Splurge on Good Towels.  It’s a little bit easier to forget about all the ways you’d change the bathroom when you’re wrapped in a cushy towel so treat yourself to some nice ones!

pottery barn towels

Pottery Barn

bathroom towels

Houzz

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training