Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Would you post bail for her ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 89>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2014 at 9:07pm
Substance abuse? Was she an addict?
Sponsored Links

thewonderfulwa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thewonderfulwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2014 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Substance abuse? Was she an addict?

When there is a allegation of child abuse they ask you to submit to a drug test even if the neglect is not based on the parent being a drug addict.
aNgElIc*SoUl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aNgElIc*SoUl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2014 at 10:27am
"Taylor’s children remain with family and under the supervision of the Division of Child and Family Services."

But um where the hell was "family" when you had the job interview to go to?
She better watch they money grubbing asses.
I hope she puts the money in the trust because I know she don't want them charges reinstated, and I hope she does what she needs to do for her and her children with the rest.
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2014 at 1:43pm
I CAN'T GET THE VIDEO TO POST . Tanesha gave a candid interview on CNN today . Please check it out .

When justice is 'merciful' in child abuse cases

By Emanuella Grinberg, CNN

updated 1:33 PM EDT, Thu August 7, 2014

Watch this video

A mother's 'desperate' choice

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Arizona mother Shanesha Taylor left her children alone in a car during a job interview
She was arrested and charged with two counts of felony child abuse
Maricopa County Attorney agreed to drop charges pending completion of parenting classes
Legal experts say the outcome highlights fluid line between bad parenting, criminal behavior

(CNN) -- Shanesha Taylor walked out of a job interview on March 20 at a Scottsdale, Arizona, insurance company feeling like her luck was about to change.

After months of fruitless job searching and moving her three children from one home to another, she was optimistic that she had found not just a job, but a career that would ground her family. The interview went well, lasting longer than expected. The 35-year-old single mother felt like she had the job "in the bag."

All that changed in an instant as she walked out to the parking lot and saw police around her Dodge Durango, where she had left her two sons during her hourlong job interview. A woman on her lunch break had called 911 after hearing a child crying in the hot car.

"I felt lost at that moment, like everything I had built myself up for, everything I was trying to do, had fallen apart," she said. "It went from how am I going to provide for my family to what's going to happen to my family?"

She was arrested on the spot and held in jail for 10 days on two counts of felony child abuse, losing custody of her three children. Her tear-stained face in a mugshot struck a chord among sympathizers nationwide, who thought the actions against her were unjustified given the circumstances.

Supporters coalesced on social media, starting a fundraising campaign to cover her $9,000 bail. It raised more than $110,000 over two months. An online petition asking Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery to dismiss the charges drew more than 58,000 signatures. At one point #isupportshanesha was a trending topic on Twitter.

To many she represented the plight of single and underemployed parents who face tough decisions each day related to child care. Others saw it as evidence that the criminal justice system metes out harsher penalties to African-Americans than other racial groups.

"There's a racial component in this case that can't be ignored," said social justice activist Mariame Kaba, who started the online petition. She also contributed to efforts to keep the case in the public eye through social media and her blog, Prison Culture.

Montgomery said he was unmoved by the public outcry. But further discussion with Taylor's lawyer led to an outcome with which both sides say they are satisfied.

Montgomery agreed to dismiss child abuse charges against Taylor if she successfully completes 25 hours of parenting classes and establishes education and child care trust fund accounts for her children. She also has to complete a substance abuse treatment program -- a standard provision in these types of cases to ensure the children's safety, a county attorney spokesperson said -- even though she has no drug-related criminal record.

Taylor agreed to the conditional plea deal in a July 24 hearing and began her parenting classes in August. The trust funds will be established through donations from the public.

"I realize I made a mistake, but I'm grateful that they took a look at my situation and what I was intending to do that day," Taylor said.

Taylor's lawyer, Benjamin Taylor II (no relation), said the resolution shows that "justice can be merciful." Legal analysts and activists say the tentative resolution of Taylor's case highlights the fluid line between bad parenting and criminal behavior in a moment when several cases involving child welfare are making headlines.

A 'desperate' moment

Taylor said she left her children, ages 6 months and 2 years, in the car "in desperation" after her child care arrangement fell through the morning of the interview. With less than two hours to spare, she found herself faced with two bad options.

"Do you pass up the interview that you know is going to save your family? Do you pass up the interview you know is going to give you a future?" she said. "It's a desperate moment where you decide do I provide for my children? Do I provide home, shelter, food, necessities? Or, do I stay here and do I care for the children?"

"The truth is that too many parents are finding themselves having to make a desperate choice between providing for their children and caring for their children. Unless you've been put in that situation, I don't think you're entitled to judge."

Hsanesha Taylor says she left her children in her car in a 'desperate' moment

"That's the way we do it," Guggenheim said. "What we ought to really be interested in is if this is a mother whom we can trust to raise children well. In this case the answer is unquestionably yes."

Montgomery said his office had an obligation to investigate due to the circumstances under which police were called to the scene. Someone parked near Taylor's vehicle called 911 to report a crying child inside the car, according to a police report. Responding officers found the front door unlocked, the windows rolled down about an inch, and keys in the ignition. Taylor's two sons were "sweating profusely" in the backseat and the 6-month-old was "crying hysterically." The children were taken to the hospital and later reported to have "no medical issues."

When further investigation revealed the situation "was the exception and not the rule" for how Taylor cared for her children, "we were able to look at this as a unique circumstance" and consider a wide range of alternatives to resolve the case, Montgomery said.

"It's always our concern in these types of cases to address underlying circumstances to see the risk going forward."

Taylor's lack of a criminal record or contact with law enforcement related to her children weighed heavily in her favor, he said, along with circumstances showing she was trying to find a job. Knowing that a felony record would seriously hinder her job prospects, Montgomery said he was inclined to give her an opportunity to prove she is a responsible parent.

"I have every expectation that she's going to be successful," Montgomery said of the conditional plea deal.

"We have enough violent and repeat offenders to keep us busy. If we can identify those who do not pose an ongoing threat to the community we're more than happy to give them the opportunity to demonstrate that and move on."

He resists the characterization of the agreement as lenient, and rejects allegations that race played a role in the case.

Edited by india100 - Aug 07 2014 at 7:12pm
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2014 at 7:14pm
Watch her live on Oprah next week .
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2014 at 7:13am

Mom Who Left Kids In Hot Car Refuses To Set Up $60,000 Trust Fund, Has Charges Reinstated

sphoto
By Lisa Fogarty, Tue, October 28, 2014

A Phoenix mother who was spared from jail after she reportedly left her two kids in a hot car so she could go on a job interview has had her charges reinstated because she failed to meet a judge’s demands.

As part of their bargain, Shanesha Taylor agreed to set up a $60,000 trust fund for her children’s education and childcare. But she showed up at a settlement conference with news that startled the judge: she had failed to meet the court’s deadline for providing the trust and admitted that she was afraid she might need some of that money for herself because she had yet to find a job, reportsazfamily.com.

The money in question includes more than $114,000 Taylor raised from anonymous supporters who felt empathy for her after hearing about her situation. 

When the judge asked Taylor to provide bank statements so there would be no question as to whether the woman spent that money on herself, she reportedly said the funds were in her mother’s bank account and she didn’t want to invade her privacy. She then asked the judge to accept a $35,000 trust fund instead and offered to supply an ATM receipt to prove she had it.

“We live pretty slim right now,” Taylor said of her situation. “Right now we are surviving off of the funds that were donated by the public, but a good portion of those are getting ready to be turned over to the state so the remaining amount is not going to sustain us for very long, which is why I’ve been looking for work.”

The 35-year-old had all charges dropped against her in March after a witness said he saw her leave her two children – ages 2 years old and 6 months old -- in her car so she could interview for a job, reports Opposing Views. At the time, the mom said she was unable to find a babysitter and that she figured it was better to keep the interview. The witness said the children were sweating and crying in the hot vehicle.

In addition to setting up a trust fund, Taylor was ordered to take parenting classes. She reportedly lost custody of her sons and regained custody rights in August.

The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office released the following statement Monday: “Due to the defendant’s failure to comply with the terms of the deferred prosecution agreement, the State has moved to reinstate prosecution.”

Sources: azfamily.comOpposing Views

Photo Credit: Facebook

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/charges-reinstated-against-mom-who-left-kids-hot-car-go-job-interview

Edited by bindy - Oct 29 2014 at 7:17am
Blac1Chyna View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Blac1Chyna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2014 at 7:23am
Omg these people wont give her a break. she was HOMELESS. A good chunk of that money would get eaten up by living expenses. People who are financially destitute have to live day to day. they cant worry about babies who aren't even in preschool yet going to college, when they trying to eat today. Its like they aint even want to help her. Give her a little bit of "help" but when she puts it to use the way she sees fit instead of letting them control her by dangling carrots in her face, they wanna lock her up
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2014 at 7:37am
I'm not sure why they wanted her to set up a trust fund ..

I really don't get it ..

Donors gave out of goodwill

There's clearly an agenda
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2014 at 7:39am
Then again she would have been left with just under 60k .. If she had set it up ..

I wonder where it is
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2014 at 8:31am
I don't understand why she HAD to set up a trust either. It's her money. That wasn't why the public gave it to her.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 89>
  Share Topic