Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Would You Marry Someone w/ No College Degree?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus
 

Topic ClosedWould You Marry Someone w/ No College Degree?

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
iliveforbhm View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Avatar

Joined: Dec 27 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 15114
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:07pm
I think college is great, but I think the academics of just became way too commercial and for upward mobility to higher brackets of money vs true academics and the truth worth of learning. I'm more self taught and it's easier for me to understand then someone talking to me and expecting me to do homework and I noticed I keep the majority of the information far better if just debate and learn arguments and counter arguments. Writing papers aren't no big deal for me and it keeps me focus. So when I do make the move I'll have to be there for a year before going back to school, but probably do a trade or something new just for an extra hustle.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 19 2008
Location: South London
Status: Offline
Points: 1266520
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

People use a lot of things to boost their self-worth though, degrees being just one. Weave, hair length, texture, clothes, bank account, skin tone, cars, where they live       Not the topic of discussion.


 

It's def not exclusive to people with degrees.  Never said it was. Any accomplishment is gonna build anybody's self-esteem. Valid.

head shot
Back to Top
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Apr 30 2013
Location: QBORO
Status: Offline
Points: 27533
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

People use a lot of things to boost their self-worth though, degrees being just one. Weave, hair length, texture, clothes, bank account, skin tone, cars, where they live       Not the topic of discussion.

 
It's def not exclusive to people with degrees.  Never said it was. Any accomplishment is gonna build anybody's self-esteem. Valid.
 
It's all valid.
Back to Top
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Sep 04 2008
Location: WorldWide
Status: Offline
Points: 24983
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

I indeed understand the point of a degree. Goal setting and realizing that goal shows discipline, a skill that is very important for human life.

Perhaps I was not clear so let me say what I said in another way.

I've noticed that some people think of themselves more valuable THAN THE NEXT because of their educational path. This could to be due to the relationship between education and resources. If you developed, and are proud of your discipline to follow through with higher education that is wonderful. However, you are not of
MORE VALUE than someone else because of that, but you sure are more disciplined than you were before. So good for you.

It was really a passing comment that you ran with because one line rubbed you the wrong way.

My bigger thought then, was that the educational system is in place as a machine to keep the resources in the hands of but a few, and that we aren't learning anything that takes us out of those hands and that machine.


I understand, and agreed.

I personally, rarely mention my educational or professional status. Oftentimes my friends will chime in and tell folks how modest I'm being.
Point is, what I do, or how far I've went in school does not define who I am. I'm TruDawg, first and foremost, my unique personality and wisdom is what defines me. To this date, my children are my greatest accomplishment and probably always will be. 
I guess I had the luxury of establishing my self-worth as a person long before I did anything else. However, I do not dismiss something someone else is proud of just because it's meaningless to me. However if they acting all stank about it, then of course, Phuck em, and the ship they rode in on, lolLOL
Back to Top
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 19 2008
Location: South London
Status: Offline
Points: 1266520
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

I think college is great, but I think the academics of just became way too commercial and for upward mobility to higher brackets of money vs true academics and the truth worth of learning. I'm more self taught and it's easier for me to understand then someone talking to me and expecting me to do homework and I noticed I keep the majority of the information far better if just debate and learn arguments and counter arguments. Writing papers aren't no big deal for me and it keeps me focus. So when I do make the move I'll have to be there for a year before going back to school, but probably do a trade or something new just for an extra hustle.
if you go to uni and you come out knowing just your one subject then you're a bigger idiot than what you were when you went in

however people love to critique the higher ed argument by saying that exactly, (you're just versed in your one subject) however learning to critically appraise data, or as you say it in simpler more layman's terms, to counter one argument with another, is an essential life tool that is invaluable to our individual existence as we digest information from all sources

most higher ed graduates leave uni with that essential skill
Back to Top
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 26 2008
Location: Paradise
Status: Offline
Points: 74306
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:13pm
I guess I just have a problem with one person's newfound self esteem leading to the degradation of another's.
Back to Top
juicifruit89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: May 08 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 6638
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

People use a lot of things to boost their self-worth though, degrees being just one. Weave, hair length, texture, clothes, bank account, skin tone, cars, where they live

 
It's def not exclusive to people with degrees. Any accomplishment is gonna build anybody's self-esteem

This. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your achievements,  and it doesn't take away from anyone else to prefer a partner with a similar educational background as you. 
Back to Top
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 13 2008
Location: In my zone
Status: Offline
Points: 400523
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

I guess I just have a problem with one person's newfound self esteem leading to the degradation of another's.


The point flew right over their heads Derri.......



Back to Top
juicifruit89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: May 08 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 6638
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:17pm
I don't know of too many people who have openly flaunted a degree everywhere they go. 

Edit: Nevermind...I worked with a Harvard grad and she would be relentless in discussing the details of her studies. Most people are not like that though, and I didn't feel less - than after listening to her. She was kind and non condescending as well, so any feelings of ill will towards her would be unwarranted. 


Edited by juicifruit89 - Apr 08 2014 at 2:22pm
Back to Top
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 26 2008
Location: Paradise
Status: Offline
Points: 74306
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:21pm
LOL
Back to Top
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down