Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Would you go (regularly) to a natural hair salon?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would you go (regularly) to a natural hair salon?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
shortnsweet08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortnsweet08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 10:12am
Thanks for all the responses ladies. I'll be honest, I didn't even think about the cost, I'm very eh.....spoiledConfused.
I do imagine that they might not take the time really needed. Caring for natural hair DOES take time, and it seems like a stylist, who might not have much time, would be likely to tear a comb through the hair rather than taking the time to slowly and gently detangle. I think if I found someone I knew was good, I'd go, cause I'm kind of at a loss and feeling a little hopeless. I've been natural for like 4-5 year, and did my last BC about 2.5 years ago (due to severe heat damage after having my hair straightened ONCE), and my hair is about 2 inches past APL. I'm ok with my length, but I just CANT get this CensoredCensored breakage under control. It's not horrible breakage, and it's mainly when I wash cause I only style my hair once or twice during the week so I'm not touching it, but I can't stand it. My hair is very fine and I think prone to over moisturization, so I did an aphogee 2 step for the first time 2 weeks ago and have been upping my protein, but still, breakage!! some of the pieces are really short, some are up to 4 inches. I don't have split ends per se, but I do have splitting up the shaft, and some times the splits go pretty high up. I had a 3 inch trim back in June/July to get rid of them and have been wearing braids ever since, but the splitting is back!! How the hell is my hair splitting if its not even being manipulated? I'm just getting so fed up. I feel like my hair is too weak and fine to be able to withstand even the slightest touch. I try my best to be very slow and gentle, but still, breakage. I just am not sure what to do next, and am thinking maybe a stylist will know something I dont... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhh
Sponsored Links

modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 2:19pm
I have to agree with others on here, I've gone to stylists in the past when I relaxed my hair, and short of providing a good relaxer, the actual "style" given to me was lackluster. Now I would pay for someone to give me a weave as my closing skills are so so. But I don't need to pay someone to "install" a FLW when I know how to do that. And now that I learned how to do my own twist extensions, I'm certainly not paying for the pleasure of someone yanking on my head for 7+ hours.

If you don't know what to do with your hair or aren't good at styling, I think that you should go to a pro. However, do your research. As others have said, even up here in the Bronx, the "natural" stylists are really overcharging for basic styles that could be done at home if you take the time to research it.
wanderlust87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderlust87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 7:31pm
@shortnsweet-   weren't you contemplating paying for the Komaza Care Analysis??  maybe you should re-consider trying that service.

@modelbusiness- I'm loving your style.   

Based on some of the replies, a thread listing top notch natural hair stylists/salons would be great.   
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 7:38pm
Thx wanderlust...I just finished it yesterday!!

I just think a lot of natural stylists throw crazy prices at people because they know they can't cut down on time by just slapping "creamy crack" on someone's head or blasting them with heat to tame the natural curl pattern.

Natural hair can be intimidating. But if you're willing to take the time to research and learn about your hair pattern and willing to go through trial and error, you can do it yourself for cheaper. Short of a professional trim, you don't really need to pay a stylist every week or two weeks. I literally don't spend a lot of time on my hair and it's super thick and the longest it's ever been *just past APL* in a natural state.

Edited for grammar!Embarrassed

Edited by modelbusiness82 - Nov 17 2012 at 7:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderlust87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 7:50pm
^^very very nice.  Can you do my hair?? LOL   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortnsweet08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 9:38pm
Wanderlust- LOL yes!! But it's been sold out since I don't know how long. It's been about 3 months. There's a long thread about it on LHCF, and I think a lot of people caught on to it and ordered it, so Komaza is overwhelmed with everyone's orders. I've been checking regularly to see if it's back in stock, it has to be back SOME day.
I want someone to figure it out for me.LOL I feel like I've been at this for too long. I feel like I've tried everything, and I still have this CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored breakage.
KinksnWinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KinksnWinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by PinkIsPowerful PinkIsPowerful wrote:

Yes!  It is amazing how women would spend hundreds when they were wearing relaxers and weaves, but will not spend $60 or $80 on professional natural hair care...  I just don't get our people...Unhappy

I wouldn't spend anything over 30 on my hair when I was relaxed, I'm def not gonna do it now, now that I know how to properly take care of my hair so im not willing to spend 60-80 dollars on services that I can do faster and the way I like it...there are other ways to keep money in "our" pocket

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderlust87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 8:50am
Originally posted by shortnsweet08 shortnsweet08 wrote:

Wanderlust- LOL yes!! But it's been sold out since I don't know how long. It's been about 3 months. There's a long thread about it on LHCF, and I think a lot of people caught on to it and ordered it, so Komaza is overwhelmed with everyone's orders. I've been checking regularly to see if it's back in stock, it has to be back SOME day.
I want someone to figure it out for me.LOL I feel like I've been at this for too long. I feel like I've tried everything, and I still have this CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored breakage.

I read that LHCF thread because last month you started a thread about the Komaza protein ingredients vs Aphogee's.   The reviews and results were very interesting.  I forgot the analysis service is sold out.

After reading your thread with the protein ingredients & browsing the co website I decided I'll probably buy the Komaza protein once I finish my 2 step.  My hair responds well to hard protein txs. I realize I need to use it more often. 

Do you foresee cutting more hair in the near future?  I hope you find your hair fix/solution.  
Butta Cookie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butta Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:23am
I still go to my stylist every 2 weeks. She only charges $35 for a wash, deep condition and style. And I'm in and out in about a hour. I haven't dealt with that other mess (folks coming to hang out, her on the phone, etc) since I started going to her. She convinced me to stop getting a relaxer and ever since then my hair has been healthy and long (until I wanted it cut). I love my stylist!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortnsweet08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 10:31am
Butta Cookie- Wow!! She sounds like a great find. That's unusual. I guess it just underscores the fact that the level of service and price really depend on the stylist, even though in general its sounding like ppl's experience of natural stylists aren't too good. You just have to find the right one, but that can be hard to do without trial and error, and who wants to go through that? lol. But I'm glad you have someone that works for you. I wish I could try her. Where exactly is Butta's Bakery? lol

Wanderlust- awww you know my posts! I'm kinda touched that someone knows me Embarrassed. But yeah, I think the komaza protein treatment is probably stronger, I mean it's nothing but protein!! But I am a little scared. It looks like it may be TOO hardcore for me, since I'm new to experimenting with protein. I'm not sure I really liked the aphogee 2 step though. I'm gonna try it again, and then consider something else if i dont get the desired results. I'm pleased with the komaza products I've tried, the ingredients are great. I just repurchased the califia spray, it's great for moisture and detangling.  As far as cutting more hair, I'll probably have to at some point to get rid of the raggediness. The splits are just eventually gonna break. Right now I'm between installs, but  right now I'm doing braids long term to avoid aggravation by manipulation.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic