Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Would you go (regularly) to a natural hair salon?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would you go (regularly) to a natural hair salon?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
PinkIsPowerful View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkIsPowerful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 2:20pm
Maybe it's confusing for me bcz I'm one of those who DO NOT like doing my own hair...lol  I'm sure there are more of us out here, especially in corporate America
Sponsored Links

RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoxieDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by PinkIsPowerful PinkIsPowerful wrote:

Maybe it's confusing for me bcz I'm one of those who DO NOT like doing my own hair...lol  I'm sure there are more of us out here, especially in corporate America

Lamp  Most likely
tvlady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvlady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 4:02pm
I never had a problem doing my own hair because I am rarely satisfied when leaving the salon. I always have to fiddle with my hair when I get home.  I stopped going to the salon regularly back i 2008 when I joined BHM and started taking care of my relaxed hair. I only went to the salon for a relaxer, weave or the occasional Dominican blow-out.  Now that I'm natural, I haven't been to the salon since I BC almost 8 months ago.  The prices are outrageous.  Twist outs last what a week tops and I'm suppose to pay 80+ for that.  That's more than a relaxer or a weave at the hood spot.  No thank you. 

There was a time when I spent 200-300 a month getting my hair done. I had a weekly appointment and my hair looked good all the time, but never did I get the results that I got on my own. My hair didn't grow and thrive until I took control of my hair care.  I'm sure there are some good natural stylists out there, but between the price and mixed reviews, I haven't found one that is worth my time or money. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkIsPowerful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by tvlady tvlady wrote:

There was a time when I spent 200-300 a month getting my hair done. I had a weekly appointment and my hair looked good all the time, but never did I get the results that I got on my own. My hair didn't grow and thrive until I took control of my hair care.  I'm sure there are some good natural stylists out there, but between the price and mixed reviews, I haven't found one that is worth my time or money. 

Yes I agree with that, there are not that many natural hair stylist here in CT either.  I just happen to have found one of the few good ones.  I'd be stuck doing it myself if I had not found her.  I go twice a month exept when I wear my braids to give my hair a break...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkIsPowerful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 4:08pm
*except
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 4:18pm
For me and Cleo, the answer is a NO. I have a wonderful STYLIST. I captialized stylist bc she can style all types of hair, do every hair technique and/or service on any type of hair. Plus, she's into healthy hair practices. Similarly, she's had every type of way one can wear their hair and keeps a healthy head of hair herself. Although, she's a family friend, her prices are not out of this world for styles that one could be done at home/ cheaper. I am style challenged, but I know that certain styles should NOT be the price of a mortgage payment (especially when it ALL MY DIGGITY DARN HAIR IS TO BEING USED).

I'm notorious for taking cards from stylists and/or stopping in a salon to feel them out. I lubs my stylist and have no plans on leaving her; but I like to see 'what's hot on in the streets'LOL. I have noticed in my antedotal and personal experiments in my area is that: 1. Most 'natural stylists/ salons' are really the regular salon re -packaged as a natural salon/stylist with no real knowledge of natural hair and a pusher of a relaxer, 2. The prices are geared to those women who have no clue that a.with practice they can do those styles themselves  b. have tried and admit that they are style challenged/ wants to be pampered and doesn't mind the price and/or c. they have no clue that they are being overcharged(again I feel this way SOMETHING FEIRCE when its a style without extensions).

IMO, most of the "natural salons" in my area see natural hair as a NEW way to make money and have some women dependent on the stylist for the care and styling of their natural hair at ridiculous prices. Same product different packaging.

Edited by luvmybiga$$fro - Nov 16 2012 at 4:20pm
Louel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 5:30am
I dont know if we even have natural hair salons in the Netherlands, but even if we did... I wouldnt go...

Havent been to a salon in the last 5 years, and from my own experiences and the experiences from others I understand that hairdressers ALWAYS cut more than you want them to. That would be really disappointing for paying such high prices and for being so attentive to my own hair growth 
marissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 7:02am
No, I wouldn't go to a natural salon regularly.

1. The prices are a bit steep.
2. I went to a supposed natural salon, it was a horrible experience. I am surprised that I have no
       split ends.

If I do go, I may go to one of two salons in the Raleigh area that I heard were good. I keep putting it off because for both you have to fill out forms as a new customer and they are always booked on the days when I am in town. Ouch

Not going to the salon is not an issue of not wanting to be pampered/corporate america/any other excuse. It is the cost benefit of it and how an individual likes to have her hair. I never liked salons, even when relaxed, but I only go when I want a technique done that I can't do myself. Often, I find that I can style my hair better to my liking than most stylists.

Also, I like washing my hair often so it would be a waste paying $60-$100 for a style just to have it washed out. LOL But then again, I was never a 'hair' person. I am more into perfumes, makeup, and skin care. I probably wouldn't bat an eye at spending $60 on some of those, lol.
AriesBabe09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AriesBabe09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 7:11am

I prefer to do my own hair now-a-days. But I do go to any reputable salon once per year to get my hair professionally trimmed and because I only go once a year I don't mind paying the prices some of them ask for (but I do have a limit of course). Especially if I've seen their work and know I'll leave the salon satisfied.

pnksky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 9:56am
I would go to a natural stylist regularly if her prices were reasonable. I've been natural for 5 years and I mostly wear braids because I cannot style my hair and natural stylists are expensive $75+.  I can get my hair braided for $180 keep them in for about 8 weeks so it's cheaper to get braids for me. There's just some things in life that we are not good at and hair is one of mine.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic