Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Would you go (regularly) to a natural hair salon?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Would you go (regularly) to a natural hair salon?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>

Author
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 11:48am
Regularly-- No.

I have found a natural stylist in Dallas that is really great though. She has been natural for 15+ years and was reccomended to me by my SO's sister who is also natural.. but like others have posted.. those prices are not for me.

I used to go once a month for her to shampoo DC blowdry and cornrow.. Her technique was flawless, she works in a cute suite and NEVER talks on her phone or  eats over my head or overbooks (huge pet peeves of mine). Its just me, her and soulful music and conversations for my allotted 1 hour appointment.

She is truly a gem.

However, now that I have my blowdry technique down she'll probably only see me when I feel like treating myself to a handsfree hair day.

Great  natural stylists ARE out here. My natural stylist did not do any of those things femme listed.
I'm not going to say that there are many, but they do exist.

Edited by yaya24 - Nov 16 2012 at 11:52am
Sponsored Links

PinkIsPowerful View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkIsPowerful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 1:08pm
Yes!  It is amazing how women would spend hundreds when they were wearing relaxers and weaves, but will not spend $60 or $80 on professional natural hair care...  I just don't get our people...Unhappy
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoxieDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by csungrl09 csungrl09 wrote:

not at those outrageous prices they stay charging!

this
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by PinkIsPowerful PinkIsPowerful wrote:

Yes!  It is amazing how women would spend hundreds when they were wearing relaxers and weaves, but will not spend $60 or $80 on professional natural hair care...  I just don't get our people...Unhappy

You don't understand how saving money to do something you know how to do (yourself) makes sense?

I'm confused.
You must be a stylist?
You mad? Geek
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote RoxieDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 2:10pm
You SHOULD pay for relaxers and other chemical services. People do a lot of damage to their hair trying to do these things alone. Same goes with weaves. Not to mention, a lot of people don't know how to do their own weaves anyway.

Natural hair care services are almost double the cost of relaxed services and they're almost always something you can do on your own. It's not like we're not supporting black owned businesses. We're keeping money in our own pockets. I can shampoo, deep condition, steam, etc. my hair at home and I will still have hair left on my head.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkIsPowerful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 2:10pm
No I'm not a stylist. I'm someone who wore weaves for years and who enjoys the pampering of a good salon, thanksSmile  Going to a salon for many women is about more than getting your hair done, it's also about the experience and pampering...
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoxieDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 2:11pm

No I'm not a stylist. I'm someone who wore weaves for years and who enjoys the pampering of a good salon, thanksSmile  Going to a salon for many women is about more than getting your hair done, it's also about the experience and pampering...

I'm all for pampering .... but i can't see doing that on a regular basis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkIsPowerful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 2:14pm
Well it sounds like bcz we are still in the early adoption stage of natural hair care, there are not many well educated natural hair stylist in abundance.  I happen to have a great one where I live, thank God!  So, for me being a business woman, I don't mind paying 60-80 bucks after a long two weeks of working.  But that's me...
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 2:17pm

Thanks for the clarification Thumbs Up
Like Roxie said:: I'm all for pampering but..I still don't find a natural stylist on a regular basis beneficial for ME.

I like doing my hair weekly, and I don't see the need for my stylist to get paid $200 a month (not including tip) to do what I can do for myself for free at the house.

I work and like my money to go where I think it needs to go.
Everyone has a preference, not sure why/how thats confusing.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RoxieDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 2:19pm
Oh there are lots of educated hair stylists, at least here in Atlanta. I'd just rather put my $60+ elsewhere than in someone's pockets for doing what I could do.

Besides, I sweat from working out so much that going to the hair salon is pointless.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic