FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Work-related question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
juicifruit89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Work-related question
    Posted: May 16 2013 at 2:41pm
I work at a small (around ~100 employees) nonprofit; after graduating college, I started off as an Receptionist sitting at the front desk (which I personally disliked). Seven months later, I became a HR Assistant (same department) and we hired a new Receptionist for our 4-person team that makes up the HR dept.
Now, when the Receptionist is on her lunch break or is on vacation/sick, we have Interns cover the front desk. However, lately I have been asked to cover during times in which none of our 12 interns are "unable to cover" (as part of their hiring, they were informed of covering the front desk). I have mixed feelings about this--on one hand, I worked hard to get a job away from the front desk; but I don't want to alienate my boss (who manages both the Receptionist and I) during future reference checks. It doesn't help that staff members stop by, stare and question why i'm back at the front desk.
With almost two years at this company, I'm actively applying to other HR jobs that are less tied to front desk administration work. Any advice on how to a) deal; b) say no to covering without burning bridges and/or c) chide the Interns into covering the desk, while I continue my job search?
Sponsored Links

yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 2:53pm
Hmm, have you broached the subject with the boss? On another hand are they clear and you are of color? If so then you know the rule about us working 10x harder. Sadly it often happens that we work super hard for only a fraction of their pay. Hope someone chimes in with their advice. 
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 2:59pm
Yes, I am one of the (very few) black people here...that's another reason why I really resent sitting at the front...I don't want to be pigeonholed into doing a job that's not mine (which is also another reason that I'm planning to leave the company this summer. Yep, I do well in my job, but I get what you're saying about working 10x harder...
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 3:01pm
have other much more pressing things to do, preferably for your boss or her boss and up

what are the interns doing that takes priority over the front desk?
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 3:05pm

Nothing that they cannot accomplish at the desk...while @ the front desk, there's a computer that they should be using for work...I just know the next time this happens, I better be more aggressive about getting the interns to do their job or saying no. It'll be nice to find a way to say no and still be okay with my boss. Fairly new to the workplace, so I don't have much experience with office politics.

Edited by juicifruit89 - May 16 2013 at 3:06pm
lexis83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexis83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 3:09pm
IMO, your boss asks you to cover the reception because he/she knows you are very capable. IA with making yourself look busy always. Also, be proactive, if you see the desk needs covering ask an intern to do it before your super realizes it needs covering.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 3:25pm
Yeah, I think i'm going to start working with intern's supervisors as well to make sure that they are able to cover (even though the receptionist primarily interacts with the interns, I have to step in to ensure that I won't have to cover!)

Edited by juicifruit89 - May 16 2013 at 3:26pm
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 3:36pm
have lunch @ the same time as reception

set up a schedule for the interns, and convince your boss to distribute

let her know that this would assure it's always covered
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 4:25pm
can you have a schedule for the interns? that way there is no confusion on who is supposed to be there.

I would tell your boss that its vital that they cover the front desk, so that they can learn about all aspects of the business, or something like that. idk.

I would tell your boss that you have other things to do.
texasmami0117 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasmami0117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 6:23pm
i would also suggest excelling at the duties that are actually in your job description so that they will see your value there and not at the front desk. I know the feeling tho. You don't want to look like the bitchy black girl when all you're doing is speaking up for yourself.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic