Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Work life: being the star at work.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
 

Work life: being the star at work.

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>




The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 02 2007
Status: Online
Points: 179561
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 7:03pm
this was really a good thread...
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
yellalady08 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 15 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 3501
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellalady08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by sunshine321511 sunshine321511 wrote:


I agree with all these tips....especially keep written documentation....send emails and never rely on verbal conversations...when the sh*tz goes down...your same supervisor will say...he did not tell you that...supervisors tend to stick together...Document everything....examples
 
1 - Per our conversation, my part of the project is SYX, Jane will do JKL, the due date is October 20th.
2 - Please see the attached scanned copy of my doctor's note for my absence....
3 - Per our conversation, I arrived 1 hour early today and will be departing at 3:00 pm
 
Always send yourself emails -
Note to the file -
I submitted XYZ project to division director Jones on 10/1/11 @3:00 pm
 
Dress professional understand...you are not at the club..how you dress on the weekend with tight shirts, skin tight pants, breast showing is great...for work...tone it DOWN.
  • watch the super bright eye shadow and 24,26,28 inch weaves...keep hair consistent...long halle berry today.26 inch wig tomorrow.
  • come on time, don't be late often
  • you don't want your sexy clothes, your long weaves, or flashy makeup to overshadow your work or be the main topic of conversation...I never forget I was in a meeting and this white manager asked this black girl about her  weave....
  • don't mistake white people's professionalize as true friendship..
 Even if you have a black supervisor, don't think they are going to defend YOU...or go out their way to promote you or help you.  My worst supervisors have been black.
  • don't tell any negative things about your personal life...they not telling you their kid on heroin.
  • always lock your desk
  • don't take or make many personal calls on your office phone.
  • no cursing at your desk on your phone, arguing with you man, etc etc.
  • even if you have no work, pull up a random excel spreadsheet so when someone comes around you can minimize the internet.
  • have your true friends OUTSIDE THE OFFICE....keep things separate....

understand..... racism is alive and well.

Some of the things...white people can get away.... with ..... a black sister never willOuch
Don't give "them" ammunition to use against you.  Even if "they" don't like you, if you are phony professional, do your work, are dependable, are not on the phone chatting all day or online....they can't do nothing to you.
 
But if you are always late, take long lunches, always calling out with issues, don't do your work, always on social calls, you MAKE IT EASY FOR THEM TO FIRE YOU, or justify not promoting you.
 


All of this. Especially the emails. I have emails from people who dont even work for the company anymore. But if that was the last conversation about something, I keep it. I work in inventory and logistics and my company runs on emails. Someone will throw an email out quick to prove a point. And I have seen numerous people lied on because they didn't have documents to plead their case.

I also strongly agree with not telling your personal business. I, just like many others, will judge you. Keep your business to yourself. There is a girl in my office who tells everything. And in listening and judging. It don't add up. Lol. So keep it to yourself.
Back to Top
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 28 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 39682
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

It depends on where you work. At my job, the highest producers get the most spotlight. I just come early, stay late, work every weekend, and work hard. They already know me though, because most of my coworkers are White males, so Black women stand out without trying to.
 
Damn!
Back to Top
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 09 2008
Location: Washington
Status: Offline
Points: 35008
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 9:02pm
Find work you're passionate about and you will do it well.  

Eye contact.  When you speak to someone, look them in their eyes.  Work bullies are always looking for a sign of weakness.  Look them in their eyes, say what you mean and mean what you say.  Don't cower in the presence of the known @#%holes.  

Be proactive.  If you foresee something being problematic, have a solution ready.  

Posture is underrated.  Walk with a purpose.  Stand like you are somebody.

Don't flirt and don't entertain flirting.  That is, if you want to be taken seriously.

Know your stuff.  The moment you realize you don't know something, learn it and know it for the next time.

Be human.  Everyone I work with knows I love basketball. They know I'm married with three kids and a dog.  I cry when we lose someone.  I don't hide and cry, I let the tears fall.  I never saw people cry and it made me feel weird when I bawled after my first very long and unsuccessful code.  Now I let the doctors and nurses I work with see it.  I know it means I'm human.  I'm prudent and know my craft but I'm human.  Coming to work with a guard up all the time looks and feels defensive.  Defensive people often have something to hide.  It makes you suspect.  Hurting people and getting hurt is part of life.  You can't protect yourself from it no matter how hard you try.




Back to Top
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member


Joined: Oct 06 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 247365
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 9:27am
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

Find work you're passionate about and you will do it well.  

Eye contact.  When you speak to someone, look them in their eyes.  Work bullies are always looking for a sign of weakness.  Look them in their eyes, say what you mean and mean what you say.  Don't cower in the presence of the known @#%holes.  

Be proactive.  If you foresee something being problematic, have a solution ready.  

Posture is underrated.  Walk with a purpose.  Stand like you are somebody.

Don't flirt and don't entertain flirting.  That is, if you want to be taken seriously.

Know your stuff.  The moment you realize you don't know something, learn it and know it for the next time.

Be human.  Everyone I work with knows I love basketball. They know I'm married with three kids and a dog.  I cry when we lose someone.  I don't hide and cry, I let the tears fall.  I never saw people cry and it made me feel weird when I bawled after my first very long and unsuccessful code.  Now I let the doctors and nurses I work with see it.  I know it means I'm human.  I'm prudent and know my craft but I'm human.  Coming to work with a guard up all the time looks and feels defensive.  Defensive people often have something to hide.  It makes you suspect.  Hurting people and getting hurt is part of life.  You can't protect yourself from it no matter how hard you try.






yeah this is what I was trying to get at

I think you have to share something about yourself, you can't keep all your "personal business" to yourself....but hey maybe it is different for certain industries
Back to Top
journeytolong View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 14 2012
Location: NY
Status: Offline
Points: 9134
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote journeytolong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 9:44am
This should be a sticky since we all have to deal with workplaces.
Back to Top
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 08 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 165020
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


yeah this is what I was trying to get at

I think you have to share something about yourself, you can't keep all your "personal business" to yourself....but hey maybe it is different for certain industries


I agree with this. 

This reminds me of the threads about not having personal photos on your desk at the office. I disagree with that. I've known people to put  [tasteful] fake family pix on their desk so they will appear to be more grounded.

I read an article about this that said  pix of your s/o-spouse  shows that you are able to manage complex relationships over time and that you have responsibilities  and   less likely to jump ship at moment's notice.  Pix of Kids/niece/nephews/godchild show you as rooted. Those are the people who are promoted, I was told.  But I guess all of this does depend on the industry.


Edited by PurpleHaze - Oct 09 2013 at 1:48pm
Back to Top
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member


Joined: Oct 06 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 247365
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 1:51pm

my husband can't have personal photos on his desk
Back to Top
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 08 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 165020
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


my husband can't have personal photos on his desk


so no one has any, he doesn't stand out as being the only one w/ no pix LOL

eta: or is it that he is the only one not allowed???  you must be TOO gorgeous for display.


Edited by PurpleHaze - Oct 09 2013 at 1:52pm
Back to Top
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member


Joined: Oct 06 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 247365
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


my husband can't have personal photos on his desk


so no one has any, he doesn't stand out as being the only one w/ no pix LOL

eta: or is it that he is the only one not allowed???  you must be TOO gorgeous for display.


lol

it is company policy, no one can
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down