Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Work life: being the star at work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 9:02pm
Find work you're passionate about and you will do it well.  

Eye contact.  When you speak to someone, look them in their eyes.  Work bullies are always looking for a sign of weakness.  Look them in their eyes, say what you mean and mean what you say.  Don't cower in the presence of the known @#%holes.  

Be proactive.  If you foresee something being problematic, have a solution ready.  

Posture is underrated.  Walk with a purpose.  Stand like you are somebody.

Don't flirt and don't entertain flirting.  That is, if you want to be taken seriously.

Know your stuff.  The moment you realize you don't know something, learn it and know it for the next time.

Be human.  Everyone I work with knows I love basketball. They know I'm married with three kids and a dog.  I cry when we lose someone.  I don't hide and cry, I let the tears fall.  I never saw people cry and it made me feel weird when I bawled after my first very long and unsuccessful code.  Now I let the doctors and nurses I work with see it.  I know it means I'm human.  I'm prudent and know my craft but I'm human.  Coming to work with a guard up all the time looks and feels defensive.  Defensive people often have something to hide.  It makes you suspect.  Hurting people and getting hurt is part of life.  You can't protect yourself from it no matter how hard you try.

Sponsored Links

journeytolong View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote journeytolong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 9:44am
This should be a sticky since we all have to deal with workplaces.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

yeah this is what I was trying to get at

I think you have to share something about yourself, you can't keep all your "personal business" to yourself....but hey maybe it is different for certain industries

I agree with this. 

This reminds me of the threads about not having personal photos on your desk at the office. I disagree with that. I've known people to put  [tasteful] fake family pix on their desk so they will appear to be more grounded.

I read an article about this that said  pix of your s/o-spouse  shows that you are able to manage complex relationships over time and that you have responsibilities  and   less likely to jump ship at moment's notice.  Pix of Kids/niece/nephews/godchild show you as rooted. Those are the people who are promoted, I was told.  But I guess all of this does depend on the industry.

Edited by PurpleHaze - Oct 09 2013 at 1:48pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

my husband can't have personal photos on his desk

so no one has any, he doesn't stand out as being the only one w/ no pix LOL

eta: or is it that he is the only one not allowed???  you must be TOO gorgeous for display.

Edited by PurpleHaze - Oct 09 2013 at 1:52pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 2:46pm
ok. I get that. I think it's important that you go with the flow of the office.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 2:52pm
but now I'm curious. Is it a security thing? 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 3:20pm
makes sense for secure facilities.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678