Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Work life: being the star at work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MassGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 8:52am
Originally posted by stardaqueenb23 stardaqueenb23 wrote:

As far as socializing... 

A lot of people I work with like to go out and drink when we have national meetings and some go really crazy. I usually make an appearance I am back in my hotel room within 1-2 hours and I have a one drink limit. Also if I have a business lunch or dinner I order no alcohol.

Indeed. Our department had a going away party for an attorney and one of the managers got so bombed she stumbled when she got up to talk to the senior VP. He told her to " be careful" and got up to help her, I was embarrassed for her.  She proceeded to ramble to him,trying to discuss matters she should have brought up in an office meeting. They were important issues  but the look on his face...

And , wouldn't you know it, that defined her. When she is late to a meeting  or rambles incessantly ( she always does) the comments are made that she is " probably three bottles deep" on & on. It is a running joke now. No one takes her seriously  now.

I was away at a seminar recently and was pressured because I refrain from drinking ( I am just not a drinker) but watched my  colleauges go crazy to the point where they forgot where they were,behaved like idiots,  got lost in the city,  could not function the next day,missed seminars , etc etc. 

Speaking of seminars and off site events - remember away from the office does not mean Saturday at the mall  attire or club wear.  If you sign up for a seminar , attend the sessions. People will notice if you skip out and  you will get labeled as someone who signs up for  those events just to hit the town.

And, watch that expense account - don't abuse it.

Edited by MassGal - Oct 08 2013 at 8:55am
Sponsored Links

MassGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 9:04am
Originally posted by lala71848 lala71848 wrote:

The advice that is given is excellent. does anyone have anymore books that they can recommend?

When  I was in my 20's I came across a book by the former editor of Cosmo, Helen Gurley Brown called
 ' Having it All'  --it was dated but I pulled a lot from that book in regard to working, working with people, etc. I also read Jill Nelson's book "Volunteer Slavery' about her experience overall but much focuses on work experience ( in the journalism industry but applicable everywhere.)

'When & Where I Enter' by Paula Giddings is informative & illuminating as are general books like 'Managing Up' & 'Difficult Conversations.'
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 9:21am
Don't bring emotions into anything.  That will be the death of you.  Strategize before you do something, don't act on impulse or emotions.
honeyb87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeyb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 9:35am
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

From my experience...

Never get caught slipping...

So basically, no slacking...

Always look busy even after you've completed all tasks...

Don't goof off in your workplace and don't associate with those who do.

Make sure your work is flawless and make sure you complete your tasks before the deadline.

Don't let anyone disrespect you, regardless of who they are or what position they hold. There's always a tactful way to put someone in their place.

Don't be a meek mouse. Even if you're quiet/shy...make sure everything that does come out of your mouth is golden and make sure you have ideas to contribute. Remember, you need to stand out from the rest.

Don't come off as a ditz...if you're going to ask a simple question, don't. Just look it up and research it on your own time.

Don't ever become too playful with people at work. Some ppl tend to forget about boundaries...

Don't give anyone the opportunity to steal your idea. No matter how excited you are about it, don't share it with your colleagues...ppl can be snakes.

Keep a paper trail. Anything important that was discussed (verbally), send a recap email afterwards just as confirmation that the convo took place.

Let your work ethic speak for you.

Just started a job in corporate.....this advice is GOLDEN.
Clap
honeyb87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeyb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 10:30am
*bookmarking thread*
stardaqueenb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardaqueenb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 5:32pm
As far as books I recommend How to Succeed in Business Without Being White by Earl Graves, Good is not Enough by Keith Wyche, and Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg.

Edited by stardaqueenb23 - Oct 08 2013 at 8:47pm
stardaqueenb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardaqueenb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 5:53pm
DP

Edited by stardaqueenb23 - Oct 08 2013 at 8:46pm
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 7:03pm
this was really a good thread...
yellalady08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellalady08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by sunshine321511 sunshine321511 wrote:

I agree with all these tips....especially keep written documentation....send emails and never rely on verbal conversations...when the sh*tz goes down...your same supervisor will say...he did not tell you that...supervisors tend to stick together...Document everything....examples

1 - Per our conversation, my part of the project is SYX, Jane will do JKL, the due date is October 20th.
2 - Please see the attached scanned copy of my doctor's note for my absence....
3 - Per our conversation, I arrived 1 hour early today and will be departing at 3:00 pm

Always send yourself emails -
Note to the file -
I submitted XYZ project to division director Jones on 10/1/11 @3:00 pm

Dress professional understand...you are not at the club..how you dress on the weekend with tight shirts, skin tight pants, breast showing is great...for work...tone it DOWN.
  • watch the super bright eye shadow and 24,26,28 inch weaves...keep hair consistent...long halle berry today.26 inch wig tomorrow.
  • come on time, don't be late often
  • you don't want your sexy clothes, your long weaves, or flashy makeup to overshadow your work or be the main topic of conversation...I never forget I was in a meeting and this white manager asked this black girl about her  weave....
  • don't mistake white people's professionalize as true friendship..
 Even if you have a black supervisor, don't think they are going to defend YOU...or go out their way to promote you or help you.  My worst supervisors have been black.
  • don't tell any negative things about your personal life...they not telling you their kid on heroin.
  • always lock your desk
  • don't take or make many personal calls on your office phone.
  • no cursing at your desk on your phone, arguing with you man, etc etc.
  • even if you have no work, pull up a random excel spreadsheet so when someone comes around you can minimize the internet.
  • have your true friends OUTSIDE THE OFFICE....keep things separate....

understand..... racism is alive and well.

Some of the things...white people can get away.... with ..... a black sister never willOuch
Don't give "them" ammunition to use against you.  Even if "they" don't like you, if you are phony professional, do your work, are dependable, are not on the phone chatting all day or online....they can't do nothing to you.

But if you are always late, take long lunches, always calling out with issues, don't do your work, always on social calls, you MAKE IT EASY FOR THEM TO FIRE YOU, or justify not promoting you.

All of this. Especially the emails. I have emails from people who dont even work for the company anymore. But if that was the last conversation about something, I keep it. I work in inventory and logistics and my company runs on emails. Someone will throw an email out quick to prove a point. And I have seen numerous people lied on because they didn't have documents to plead their case.

I also strongly agree with not telling your personal business. I, just like many others, will judge you. Keep your business to yourself. There is a girl in my office who tells everything. And in listening and judging. It don't add up. Lol. So keep it to yourself.
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

It depends on where you work. At my job, the highest producers get the most spotlight. I just come early, stay late, work every weekend, and work hard. They already know me though, because most of my coworkers are White males, so Black women stand out without trying to.

Damn!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic