BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Work life: being the star at work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IslandSuga View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IslandSuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 6:10pm
I co-sign on the facebook, but I also don't befriend co-workers unless I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY cool with them. I don't need people I don't know in my ish. Also if you have a facebook, make it impossible for someone to get a hold of your profile by making them friend request you. On my profile only my name and picture is available. If you want more you gotta friend request me.
Sponsored Links

DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 2:34am
  @SUNSHINE321511ClapClapClapClapClapClap

Edited by DiorShowGirl - Oct 04 2013 at 2:35am
sbrownie84 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbrownie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 7:54am
Sidenote: what are ways to be assertive and express yourself/stand up for yourself without being branded as rude or the angry black girl?

There is a new manager who seems to always single me out to do things and she is well rude. She would never address me with a greeting. (good morning/hi sbrownie,can you do such and such. She would just ramble an order with no eye contact. I think it is rude.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 8:14am

for those that say don't get too close, I wonder how this really works

for example, I had a boss I could not stand but she never knew that

she "liked" me to the point of buying my gift cards, birthday/holiday gifts, inviting me to her home more than once, and would chat with me quite often

when she left our company she asked if I wanted to come along with her, reviewed my resume (and I finally got the type of advice I have needed for a year or so), and spoke with the HR dept at her new job about hiring me

now if I kept it hi and bye and strictly work related with her I doubt she would have done all of that

so I post all that to say, what exactly do you share?

I'm pretty sure I have a good understanding of what not to share

also, at my job they do share a lot of personal info and like to come by your office and chat, so I think you have to behave somewhat like the others in your office so you don't get branded as rude, standoffish, shy, weird, mean, aloof

Edited by SamoneLenior - Oct 04 2013 at 8:14am
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 8:23am
Originally posted by sunshine321511 sunshine321511 wrote:

I agree with all these tips....especially keep written documentation....send emails and never rely on verbal conversations...when the sh*tz goes down...your same supervisor will say...he did not tell you that...supervisors tend to stick together...Document everything....examples

1 - Per our conversation, my part of the project is SYX, Jane will do JKL, the due date is October 20th.
2 - Please see the attached scanned copy of my doctor's note for my absence....
3 - Per our conversation, I arrived 1 hour early today and will be departing at 3:00 pm

Always send yourself emails -
Note to the file -
I submitted XYZ project to division director Jones on 10/1/11 @3:00 pm

Dress professional understand...you are not at the club..how you dress on the weekend with tight shirts, skin tight pants, breast showing is great...for work...tone it DOWN.
  • watch the super bright eye shadow and 24,26,28 inch weaves...keep hair consistent...long halle berry today.26 inch wig tomorrow.
  • come on time, don't be late often
  • you don't want your sexy clothes, your long weaves, or flashy makeup to overshadow your work or be the main topic of conversation...I never forget I was in a meeting and this white manager asked this black girl about her  weave....
  • don't mistake white people's professionalize as true friendship..
 Even if you have a black supervisor, don't think they are going to defend YOU...or go out their way to promote you or help you.  My worst supervisors have been black.
  • don't tell any negative things about your personal life...they not telling you their kid on heroin.
  • always lock your desk
  • don't take or make many personal calls on your office phone.
  • no cursing at your desk on your phone, arguing with you man, etc etc.
  • even if you have no work, pull up a random excel spreadsheet so when someone comes around you can minimize the internet.
  • have your true friends OUTSIDE THE OFFICE....keep things separate....

understand..... racism is alive and well.

Some of the things...white people can get away.... with ..... a black sister never willOuch
Don't give "them" ammunition to use against you.  Even if "they" don't like you, if you are phony professional, do your work, are dependable, are not on the phone chatting all day or online....they can't do nothing to you.

But if you are always late, take long lunches, always calling out with issues, don't do your work, always on social calls, you MAKE IT EASY FOR THEM TO FIRE YOU, or justify not promoting you.

THis post was sooo on pointClap

AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 1:51pm
This is out the blue but my office is having a talent showcase once we're off furlough. I'm a really good singer but my brother said that I shouldn't sing. What do yall think?
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

for those that say don't get too close, I wonder how this really works

for example, I had a boss I could not stand but she never knew that

she "liked" me to the point of buying my gift cards, birthday/holiday gifts, inviting me to her home more than once, and would chat with me quite often

when she left our company she asked if I wanted to come along with her, reviewed my resume (and I finally got the type of advice I have needed for a year or so), and spoke with the HR dept at her new job about hiring me

now if I kept it hi and bye and strictly work related with her I doubt she would have done all of that

so I post all that to say, what exactly do you share?

I'm pretty sure I have a good understanding of what not to share

also, at my job they do share a lot of personal info and like to come by your office and chat, so I think you have to behave somewhat like the others in your office so you don't get branded as rude, standoffish, shy, weird, mean, aloof

I love this post
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 2:52pm
Great topic & advice!! Smile
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

This is out the blue but my office is having a talent showcase once we're off furlough. I'm a really good singer but my brother said that I shouldn't sing. What do yall think?

I say go in and crush it, and enjoy your Starbucks gift card, lol. Just be prepared for the "Man....they ALL can sing!" remarks.
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Miss B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 2:56pm
SN: Any of y'all professionals HIRING?? A quick learning college educated sista with a broad skill set is looking.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>