BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Work life: being the star at work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:43pm
I agree with all these tips....especially keep written documentation....send emails and never rely on verbal conversations...when the sh*tz goes down...your same supervisor will say...he did not tell you that...supervisors tend to stick together...Document everything....examples

1 - Per our conversation, my part of the project is SYX, Jane will do JKL, the due date is October 20th.
2 - Please see the attached scanned copy of my doctor's note for my absence....
3 - Per our conversation, I arrived 1 hour early today and will be departing at 3:00 pm

Always send yourself emails -
Note to the file -
I submitted XYZ project to division director Jones on 10/1/11 @3:00 pm

Dress professional understand...you are not at the club..how you dress on the weekend with tight shirts, skin tight pants, breast showing is great...for work...tone it DOWN.
  • watch the super bright eye shadow and 24,26,28 inch weaves...keep hair consistent...long halle berry today.26 inch wig tomorrow.
  • come on time, don't be late often
  • you don't want your sexy clothes, your long weaves, or flashy makeup to overshadow your work or be the main topic of conversation...I never forget I was in a meeting and this white manager asked this black girl about her  weave....
  • don't mistake white people's professionalize as true friendship..
 Even if you have a black supervisor, don't think they are going to defend YOU...or go out their way to promote you or help you.  My worst supervisors have been black.
  • don't tell any negative things about your personal life...they not telling you their kid on heroin.
  • always lock your desk
  • don't take or make many personal calls on your office phone.
  • no cursing at your desk on your phone, arguing with you man, etc etc.
  • even if you have no work, pull up a random excel spreadsheet so when someone comes around you can minimize the internet.
  • have your true friends OUTSIDE THE OFFICE....keep things separate....

understand..... racism is alive and well.

Some of the things...white people can get away.... with ..... a black sister never willOuch
Don't give "them" ammunition to use against you.  Even if "they" don't like you, if you are phony professional, do your work, are dependable, are not on the phone chatting all day or online....they can't do nothing to you.

But if you are always late, take long lunches, always calling out with issues, don't do your work, always on social calls, you MAKE IT EASY FOR THEM TO FIRE YOU, or justify not promoting you.

Sponsored Links

journeytolong View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote journeytolong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Miss B Miss B wrote:

Odds are that as a person (especially a woman) of color, people are already looking. Make sure there is something to see.

Its sad but true. Every job I have worked at I get the most attention out of everyone and I'm a very quiet person. Theres something about us black women that people are so drawn to they don't know how to handle or interpret it.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by journeytolong journeytolong wrote:

Originally posted by Miss B Miss B wrote:

Odds are that as a person (especially a woman) of color, people are already looking. Make sure there is something to see.

Its sad but true. Every job I have worked at I get the most attention out of everyone and I'm a very quiet person. Theres something about us black women that people are so drawn to they don't know how to handle or interpret it.

beautifully said.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:54pm
Another thing....DON'T USE YOUR REAL NAME ON FACEBOOK.

I had a new white supervisor who came a few months ago, and one day he slipped up and said he googled all the supervisors on the internet.

I pinched myself...and knew he probably did that for his entire staff...which I am member of his team.

If your name is spelled "right" on facebook and you now have your "700" friends...change the spelling...
I don't have  my real name.... anywhere online....unless you are in property records and know my name.

if your name Is Lisa Jones.....Change it to something.....Cupcake  Jones....so people in the office can't find you. .and don't have your picture by your name....unless you have a totally different name

block everything, pictures, friends...so if someone does find your page they can't see all your pictures, see you at this restaurant, DON'T PUT YOU BUSINESS ON FACEBOOK.

Edited by sunshine321511 - Oct 03 2013 at 5:01pm
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Originally posted by journeytolong journeytolong wrote:

Theres something about us black women that people are so drawn to they don't know how to handle or interpret it.
beautifully said.
agree
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

This might be another thread but how do you stellar women excel in your workplace without feeling like you're being used or getting drained?? I just got hired at my job but I don't have access to everything just yet, but I noticed that there are 3 people, all women, who do everything and everybody else just fs around all day. One of them told me not to do too much bc they will see that and ease up on their own work.

I study people....and find that most ppl who end up in those position, its their own fault. they tend to keep volunteering for things when they know they already have so much on their plate. 

regardless of your career goals...your mental and physical health is NUMBER ONE. I see a lot women WORN OUT by corporate america all for nothing. Dont let that be you.
IslandSuga View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandSuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 5:00pm
"The no asshole rule" by robert i. sutton is a great read as well
journeytolong View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote journeytolong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by sunshine321511 sunshine321511 wrote:

Another thing....DON'T USE YOUR REAL NAME ON FACEBOOK.

Thank you!! I should have mentioned this too.. People LOVE to be nosey and catch you slipping even outside of work. ALSO be careful about giving out your information to your employer. If you're going to have direct deposit then give them an account that you don't use or that isn't connected with where ALL of your primary cash is. You can never be too careful.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 5:23pm
I don't hate facebook but people must really watch it....that is why is it mandatory to not have your real name....I learned that from my little nephews/nieces...with all these funny names...and they live in DC and facebook says the live in  Atlanta, or wherever....names like...
prettygirl shawn...drazy drizzy jones...how could you find someone with that name ..... unless they tell you that is my FB name????

A few weeks ago my other coworker  said come to my desk.....then she took me on FB and showed me pictures of our coworker smoking weed on his open facebook page....now mind you this same neygro is going through stuff at work with his supervisor.....when you about to be fired...I'm sure his supervisor has looked on his page.  The dude was using his real name on one FB page...then had some comment on the main page saying I don't use this page connect to this link to my new page....which was open and had all the weed pictures.

I thought to myself....1) wow he put up those pictures and 2) she probably have looked up other people page...

I've even heard of people when applying for jobs, managers looking on FB for the top candidates to know about your personal character.

HowardAlumAKA View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HowardAlumAKA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 6:03pm
I dont condone being a star at work. People will kill you off just to take your spot.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>