Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Work life: being the star at work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 12:34pm
lol. I thought that was Sandra's advice for the being a star at work.

Edited by PurpleHaze - Oct 03 2013 at 12:34pm
Sponsored Links

sbrownie84 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote sbrownie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 1:59pm
Great advice. Thanking everyone.

I love how sandra has nothing to contribute but that gif. Very telling.
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 2:06pm

I just wanna add that my friend gave me a great book that answers a lot of career questions that women have, Smart Women, Smart Moves by Dr. Vanessa J. Weaver (a sista) and Jan Hill.

goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Chyna_Li Chyna_Li wrote:

Learn/KNOW...MASTER you job. 
MIND YOUR BUSINESS & KEEP your business to YOURSELF. - You need to be VERY mindful of what you tell your co-workers about your life. Especially if you a young, attractive black women. You tell them you are tired and they turn into "Sally was partying last night...she such a party animal". This especially happens when all of your yt counter parts are spending their evenings attending their kids softball games and watching Dora the Explorer. Everything you say about your personal life will be blown out of proportion.
Show Accountability and hold others accountable
GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. - This is a MUST. And if you have a conference call, RECORD IT. There is an option of every corporate conference call to press conference record or playback feature.  - 
inquire about additional training that can take you to the next level - you need to ALWAYS be thinking about your next move. Even it ifs outside of your current company. Its call "self-promotion". Find out what certifications/advanced degrees are needed to move forward in your career and GET THEM....
RULE OF THUMB- if you have been at your company for 5 years and they have not promoted you, you will not get promoted. Refer back to my statement about "self-promotion"....you may not get the manager position at your present company but you may be able to get it at another.
remain professional but personable, well kept, courteous, reliable... - you may not want to take my advice on this one but I do NOT laugh at raunchy/"cheeky" jokes in team meetings. Even if it is the most hilarious thing I've heard all day....to me, when you laugh it sends a signal to everyone in the room that they can now tell you a raunchy joke as well(and just may be about YOU).  
BEING KNOW AS A RESOURCE FOR OTHERS IS KEY 
attempt to implement new, refreshing ideas for your personal workflow/company

I agree and my additions are in blue. 

I'd also like to add...you need to know your personality. If you really want to manage people, really take time to understand what that entails. There are other ways to make the same money as high level executives without all the other bs that comes with. The corner office may look nice, but it always comes with a price...whether its time away from your family, stress that could affect your health or just the political bs of corporate america.

And I forgot you mentioned it...but please dress professionally. I don't care if its a causal work environment or not. If you look like a slacker.,..they will immediately size you up as that and treat you accordingly. 
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

I just wanna add that my friend gave me a great book that answers a lot of career questions that women have, Smart Women, Smart Moves by Dr. Vanessa J. Weaver (a sista) and Jan Hill.

This is also a good book as well..

Good Is Not Enough: And Other Unwritten Rules for Minority Professional

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:21pm

I dunno. I don't have that problem. I do think some women try too hard and end up being bittchy instead of respectfully authoritative and effective. I've seen too many examples of women going overboard and end up being disliked or ridiculed. The best female boss I've had was one whose mannerism was like a man's. Literally, right down to the tweed pants, low base voice, cropped cut
Sorry I couldnt be more helpful

Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Miss B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:22pm
Odds are that as a person (especially a woman) of color, people are already looking. Make sure there is something to see.

First and foremost: think of ways to add value to the company. That is why you are employed. ONLY to add value to the company. There may be natural ways to go above the call of your work if it will add greater value. IE keeping up with the national/global trends that relate to your industry. Seeking out conferences to attend.

Proofread everything you write. Emails, memos, etc. IA, get EVERYTHING in writing.

Sadly, sometimes the visual can go further than the work you did. Its what people remember, and adds to their impression of you therefore the impression of what you can do. Ie, taking notes during meetings.

Arrive and leave ON TIME. In many fields, if you focus and do what you need to do, you can knock it out between 9-5. If you are staying late, make sure its not for something that you COULD have done during the day. That doesn't get you extra points. It makes it seem as if you can't manage your time well.

IA with everyone who said dress professionally. Just because everyone else may take liberties with the interpretation of the dress code, make sure you are on the upper end of whatever that code is. People notice. Ladies, your makeup does not need to be heavy to be professional. I personally wouldn't recommend a bare face. Also, whether natural/relaxed/weaved/whatever keep your hair neat.

Keep your shoes polished. NO NO NO to scuffed, worn out heels/flats.

AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:30pm

This might be another thread but how do you stellar women excel in your workplace without feeling like you're being used or getting drained?? I just got hired at my job but I don't have access to everything just yet, but I noticed that there are 3 people, all women, who do everything and everybody else just fs around all day. One of them told me not to do too much bc they will see that and ease up on their own work.

nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Do your job and do it well.. 

Leave no room for doubt and always take credit for your work.. 

Even in team work scenarios.. 

You also need to master the art of intelligent yet extremely articulate put downs .. They go a long way than brash put downs
this 
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

From my experience...

and this 

eta: and co sign spokenword & kfoxx 

Edited by nekamarie83 - Oct 03 2013 at 4:45pm
sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:43pm
I agree with all these tips....especially keep written documentation....send emails and never rely on verbal conversations...when the sh*tz goes down...your same supervisor will say...he did not tell you that...supervisors tend to stick together...Document everything....examples

1 - Per our conversation, my part of the project is SYX, Jane will do JKL, the due date is October 20th.
2 - Please see the attached scanned copy of my doctor's note for my absence....
3 - Per our conversation, I arrived 1 hour early today and will be departing at 3:00 pm

Always send yourself emails -
Note to the file -
I submitted XYZ project to division director Jones on 10/1/11 @3:00 pm

Dress professional understand...you are not at the club..how you dress on the weekend with tight shirts, skin tight pants, breast showing is great...for work...tone it DOWN.
  • watch the super bright eye shadow and 24,26,28 inch weaves...keep hair consistent...long halle berry today.26 inch wig tomorrow.
  • come on time, don't be late often
  • you don't want your sexy clothes, your long weaves, or flashy makeup to overshadow your work or be the main topic of conversation...I never forget I was in a meeting and this white manager asked this black girl about her  weave....
  • don't mistake white people's professionalize as true friendship..
 Even if you have a black supervisor, don't think they are going to defend YOU...or go out their way to promote you or help you.  My worst supervisors have been black.
  • don't tell any negative things about your personal life...they not telling you their kid on heroin.
  • always lock your desk
  • don't take or make many personal calls on your office phone.
  • no cursing at your desk on your phone, arguing with you man, etc etc.
  • even if you have no work, pull up a random excel spreadsheet so when someone comes around you can minimize the internet.
  • have your true friends OUTSIDE THE OFFICE....keep things separate....

understand..... racism is alive and well.

Some of the things...white people can get away.... with ..... a black sister never willOuch
Don't give "them" ammunition to use against you.  Even if "they" don't like you, if you are phony professional, do your work, are dependable, are not on the phone chatting all day or online....they can't do nothing to you.

But if you are always late, take long lunches, always calling out with issues, don't do your work, always on social calls, you MAKE IT EASY FOR THEM TO FIRE YOU, or justify not promoting you.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic