Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Work life: being the star at work.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection
 

Work life: being the star at work.

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>




The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 05 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 21930
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:54am
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

Is rather be known as an over achiever than a slacker any day...
true..but it gets irritating when the clear people say that... 
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 29 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Status: Offline
Points: 22513
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:57am
Originally posted by IslandSuga IslandSuga wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Do your job and do it well..

Leave no room for doubt and always take credit for your work..

Even in team work scenarios..

You also need to master the art of intelligent yet extremely articulate put downs .. They go a long way than brash put downs


I'd like to know how to do this, I'll be entering the work force soon and I don't want people to see me sweat at all.
 
Hold it .. you want to learn ' to master the art of intelligent yet extremely articulate put downs .. They go a long way than brash put downs '?
 
Really, you are taking THIS advice above all the other good advice given so far? Wow because
this is really very poor advice  especially if you are new to the workforce.
 
You will set yourself up in a pattern of communication that you will not be able to break such that you go from company to company ... never being able to last very long. These people end up in medicore jobs from which they can never rise... and they will say it's because they are Black ... but it's really because they are always trying to get back at someone.
 
I repeat. This is BAD ADVICE. I would tell my little niece the same thing.
 
You need to AVOID putting people down in the workforce. I don't care how clever you are about it .. people are not stupid. Learn how to GET ALONG with people. Yes, some people are nasty .. but you don't need to become ONE OF THEM.Shocked Duh!
 
Geesh people will figure it out. You just need to keep YOUR nose clean so what you say does not come back and bite you in the butt. I've seen it.
 
Be careful.
Back to Top
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 05 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 21930
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:57am
Originally posted by MassGal MassGal wrote:

Originally posted by MsBMW MsBMW wrote:

This is a great topic...I have followed a lot of the suggestions but still get labeled as an Over-achiever..I don't get that smh

You will find that many people run scared  --threatened by people who go above and beyond because  their insecurities  & lack of knowledge will be exposed.   Once you can get a  read on  people you can handle them.  I don't  mean via gossip, I mean watch people, study them.

Make your case.  It's all a game, a delicate balance.

I feel better knowing and doing all I can so I take personal satisfaction in a job well done but I will be real - I sister needs to make ends too. The reward$ like being asked to speak at seminars or meeting with executives, partners, etc., started to come so then I knew what I ALREADY knew deep down, now others are seeing it.  Yours will come too. 

This sounds callous but focus on those who matter , stay away from the little people with petty gripes and minimum effort people.






Clap Thanks Lady Great advice!!! that I will follow....
Back to Top
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 06 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 116496
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 9:00am
So much good advice already I'll just stick to making the next steps:

Once you have established your reputation as an intelligent, hardworking, team player you want to make yourself indispensable.  

This is never measured in the number of people you pass over but the number of people who say your input / contribution is impossible to place a value on.

Identify a problem that someone is having and be seen helping to solve it.   Manage up and manage down.  Help those above look good and help those below you be the best employee they can be.

Don't work based on your title, work based on your abilities.

Titles and pay increases will come later. 

Always be working as if you're already in the next level of leadership. 

As a leader hold yourself and your team accountable.  Be fair and firm at the same time.   Your team can take you down or propel you to stardom.  

That last one is the one people in corporate settings forget once they make it to the big office.  They focus only on the executive level and forget about the troops.

Last but not least be willing to accept the fact that white boys in corporate America get a free ride for a long time.  DO NOT MEASURE YOURSELF AGAINST THEM.  The expectations for them are so much lower than you actually think. 

Keep a positive attitude and good luck in your journey.  

BTW - Corporate America ain't sh*tLOL


Edited by kfoxx1998 - Oct 03 2013 at 9:01am
Back to Top
Chyna_Li View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 14 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 21413
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chyna_Li Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 9:22am
Learn/KNOW...MASTER you job. 
MIND YOUR BUSINESS & KEEP your business to YOURSELF
Show Accountability and hold others accountable
GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING
inquire about additional training that can take you to the next level
remain professional but personable, well kept, courteous, reliable...
BEING KNOW AS A RESOURCE FOR OTHERS IS KEY
attempt to implement new, refreshing ideas for your personal workflow/company
Back to Top
Chyna_Li View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 14 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 21413
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Chyna_Li Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 9:24am
You will find that many people run scared --threatened by people who go above and beyond because their insecurities & lack of knowledge will be exposed. Once you can get a read on people you can handle them. I don't mean via gossip, I mean watch people, study them.

Make your case. It's all a game, a delicate balance.
 
ONCE YOU KNOW THESE KEY THINGS...LIFE RUNS MUCH SMOOTHER I PROMISE YOU.
 
if you are not a strong individual/ slightly rough around the edges this corporate world will use and then abuse you.
 
DONT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BECOME USED AND ABUSED.
Back to Top
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 24 2010
Location: US...PR...VI
Status: Offline
Points: 64860
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 9:35am
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

So much good advice already I'll just stick to making the next steps:

Once you have established your reputation as an intelligent, hardworking, team player you want to make yourself indispensable.  

This is never measured in the number of people you pass over but the number of people who say your input / contribution is impossible to place a value on.

Identify a problem that someone is having and be seen helping to solve it.   Manage up and manage down.  Help those above look good and help those below you be the best employee they can be.

Don't work based on your title, work based on your abilities.

Titles and pay increases will come later. 

Always be working as if you're already in the next level of leadership. 

As a leader hold yourself and your team accountable.  Be fair and firm at the same time.   Your team can take you down or propel you to stardom.  

That last one is the one people in corporate settings forget once they make it to the big office.  They focus only on the executive level and forget about the troops.

Last but not least be willing to accept the fact that white boys in corporate America get a free ride for a long time.  DO NOT MEASURE YOURSELF AGAINST THEM.  The expectations for them are so much lower than you actually think. 

Keep a positive attitude and good luck in your journey.  

BTW - Corporate America ain't sh*tLOL



All of this awesomeness.

Especially...Don't work based on your title, work based on your abilities.

I know ppl who were awesome at entry level, and became lazy after getting a promotion...

I saw those same people get demoted.

If your workload is complete, and there is an area of opportunity to help out...please help. Don't have the "I'm the boss, I get to sit on my ass" mentality, or "I'm done with my work early, I'm just gonna sit around"

Work while you are at work...you're adding value to your position in the company when you do this.
Back to Top
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 19 2008
Location: South London
Status: Online
Points: 882146
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Originally posted by IslandSuga IslandSuga wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Do your job and do it well..

Leave no room for doubt and always take credit for your work..

Even in team work scenarios..

You also need to master the art of intelligent yet extremely articulate put downs .. They go a long way than brash put downs


I'd like to know how to do this, I'll be entering the work force soon and I don't want people to see me sweat at all.




 

Hold it .. you want to learn ' to master the art of intelligent yet extremely articulate put downs .. They go a long way than brash put downs '?




 

Really, you are taking THIS advice above all the other good advice given so far? Wow because




this is really very poor advice  especially if you are new to the workforce.
 

You will set yourself up in a pattern of communication that you will not be able to break such that you go from company to company ... never being able to last very long. These people end up in medicore jobs from which they can never rise... and they will say it's because they are Black ... but it's really because they are always trying to get back at someone.

 

I repeat. This is BAD ADVICE. I would tell my little niece the same thing.

 

You need to AVOID putting people down in the workforce. I don't care how clever you are about it .. people are not stupid. Learn how to GET ALONG with people. Yes, some people are nasty .. but you don't need to become ONE OF THEM.Shocked Duh!

 

Geesh people will figure it out. You just need to keep YOUR nose clean so what you say does not come back and bite you in the butt. I've seen it.

 

Be careful.


In work environments you have to learn how to be tactful in addressing hostile colleagues..colleagues who throw their weight

Unless you suggest she becomes a pushover .. Knowing you it wouldn't far fetched.. She needs in fact everyone needs to learn how to be tactful with their put downs..

There will be no know your place nig-ger here as much as you would love that
Back to Top
MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 11 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 22134
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote MissCassC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 11:26am
Overall, find yourself a mentor in the company.  Maybe even two.  One who can help you navigate the political waters and one who you can ask your "dumb" technical questions without being judged.  The mentor(s) should be people who will keep it 100% real with you.  They will tell you how you are perceived, keep you privy to the things that are going on at higher levels, and can help you think through tough things.

The other good piece of advice I've received is to be careful who you have your "freak out" moments in front of.  Corporate America is demanding and occasionally you may feel overwhelmed.  You don't want everyone in the office to know how you're feeling even if its just for a moment.

On a side note, you shouldn't worry about being perceived as an over achiever.  This isn't high school.  In Corporate America, you're in the business of increasing profits.  The more you increase profits the better you'll be.    You should, however, worry about being the annoying person in meetings who talks a lot but never has anything insightful or valuable to say. 


Edited by MissCassC - Oct 03 2013 at 11:26am
Back to Top
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 12 2010
Location: SC
Status: Offline
Points: 283341
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 11:30am
And it is also a possibility that you can work your ass to the bone and have all the technical abilities necessary but if you just aren't likable to TPTB you can and will be passed over.


I have seen it happen...
Charisma is an overlooked component    
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down