Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Work life: being the star at work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 5:28am
It depends on where you work. At my job, the highest producers get the most spotlight. I just come early, stay late, work every weekend, and work hard. They already know me though, because most of my coworkers are White males, so Black women stand out without trying to.
Sponsored Links

Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Spokenword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 6:22am
It depends on which field you are in.

However, my two scents is:

1. Dress like a power woman. Dressing does make a difference in how you are perceived. Many people do not know how to truly dress professionally, yet classy and stylish.

2. Find a mentor. If there is another woman, preferably black, seek her out as a mentor. If there are no black women, then you can find another race. sometimes depending on where you work its a man's world, so a female mentor can be beneficial, regardless of race.

3. Work hard and know your sh*t.

4. Have a positive attitude.

5. Be attentive without being overbearing.

6. Attend social work events.

7. And of course, whatever your job is, be strive to be the BEST at it. at the end of the day, you can't knock one's productivity. 

thats all i have for now. some of the other folks gave some good feedback as well!

Edited by Spokenword - Oct 03 2013 at 6:27am
IslandSuga View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandSuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 7:58am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Do your job and do it well..

Leave no room for doubt and always take credit for your work..

Even in team work scenarios..

You also need to master the art of intelligent yet extremely articulate put downs .. They go a long way than brash put downs

I'd like to know how to do this, I'll be entering the work force soon and I don't want people to see me sweat at all.
MassGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote MassGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:18am
SpokenWord  & GoodGirlGoneG8  ( and  a FEW others )have  said it all really.

Take credit for your work & don't fear the  arrogant tag.  If someone tries to take credit fro your work,speak up : As X and I were discussing on X date when I said X or I shared X. Don't whine or call out the person, diplomacy  is all it takes. And be ready to expand on the idea ,  display your spin to show that it is all YOU ( but that you value teamwork.)

Learn how to take credit and be confident without worrying about being seen as aggressive. It is also important  to respectfully disagree and know when to let something drop...until later.   Keep your grudges to yourself. 

STAY AWAY FROM GOSSIPS AND DO NOTHINGS. I keep my personal life private. I attend work functions but my private life is just that, private. As someone posted " boundaries" people become too familiar at times. I had a manager who would talk endlessly about her personal problems, gossip endlessly, etc. I politely steer conversation back to work and told her I don't care about anyone's personal  matters. She keeps trying, I change subject.

Learn the system &  know your stuff & how to present your thoughts , even zaps like afro wrote, without being angry. Let things  roll off your tongue without emotion or being passive aggressive.

One thing I've learned it that knowing/seeing the big picture goes a long, long way : your department, HR, corporate enviro goes a long way. Learn all you can.

But, there will be disappointments and setbacks. I am in a male-dominated industry mostly white males, and race comes up often. THEY mention it, I just keep it moving. I will get mine.

Edited by MassGal - Oct 03 2013 at 8:21am
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:36am
This is a great topic...I have followed a lot of the suggestions but still get labeled as an Over-achiever..I don't get that smh
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:39am
Awesome topic...
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:41am
Is rather be known as an over achiever than a slacker any day...
ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote ShadyLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:47am
I don't care about being labeled an overachiever, as long as I'm doing my job well and not stepping on toes to climb up.

Half the people who call you an overachiever and use it as an insult are just jealous you do your job well and are recognized for it.
MassGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote MassGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:53am
Originally posted by MsBMW MsBMW wrote:

This is a great topic...I have followed a lot of the suggestions but still get labeled as an Over-achiever..I don't get that smh

You will find that many people run scared  --threatened by people who go above and beyond because  their insecurities  & lack of knowledge will be exposed.   Once you can get a  read on  people you can handle them.  I don't  mean via gossip, I mean watch people, study them.

Make your case.  It's all a game, a delicate balance.

I feel better knowing and doing all I can so I take personal satisfaction in a job well done but I will be real - a sister needs to make ends too. The reward$ like being asked to speak at seminars or meeting with executives, partners, etc., started to come so then I knew what I ALREADY knew deep down, now others are seeing it.  Yours will come too. 

This sounds callous but focus on those who matter , stay away from the little people with petty gripes and minimum effort people.

Edited to add: I am not being elitist or hierarchical. By "little " I mean people with small minds & bad attitudes.

Edited by MassGal - Oct 03 2013 at 9:01am
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:54am
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

Is rather be known as an over achiever than a slacker any day...
true..but it gets irritating when the clear people say that... 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic