Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Work life: being the star at work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sbrownie84 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sbrownie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Work life: being the star at work.
    Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 9:28pm
What are ways that you ladies use to stand out at work without being the annoying overachiever?

What are ways for blackwomen to stand out and be taken seriously without being seen as aggressive?
Sponsored Links

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (18) Thanks(18)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 9:34pm
sbrownie84 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote sbrownie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 9:37pm
This really is a serious question for those who work in a corporate environment or casual yet creative business setting. Any older mentor type women here can offer advice on how to achieve success and climb the corporate ladder.

I'
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 12:46am
Well, I think that one needs to show the company how valuable one is to the company.
I am not on the corporate world but I would suggest accepting or asking for bigger tasks?

BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 12:57am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

lmao
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 1:36am
LOL
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 3:45am
Do your job and do it well..

Leave no room for doubt and always take credit for your work..

Even in team work scenarios..

You also need to master the art of intelligent yet extremely articulate put downs .. They go a long way than brash put downs
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 4:36am
Originally posted by sbrownie84 sbrownie84 wrote:

What are ways that you ladies use to stand out at work without being the annoying overachiever?

What are ways for blackwomen to stand out and be taken seriously without being seen as aggressive?
]

You are digging your own grave when you define yourself in  this manner. Shocked

I have worked in Corporate America for many, many years and now in Corporate Europe (meaning France, Austria and The Netherlands) and it's always the same (aside from cultural and anguage differences).

You will be judged by the quality of your work, your work ethic, the way in which you conduct yourself (particularly in times of conflict) and in the ways in which you treat your co-workers. If you excel .. you excel. If the people choose to begrudge you your sucess they will fail. Ignore them.

If you can't learn how express yourself in a professional way ... no matter what.. you will lose the respect of your peers and no matter how hard you work .... you will fail. They will see you as being unstable, too sensitive and  avoid you, which is never a good thing.  Maybe it's not fair but .. whoever said life was fair? Life is not fair - you just have to get over it.

This advice has nothing to do with your color. If you can't get along with people in the work environment and build sucessful alliances ... you will fail and NOT excel no matter how will you work.

It's that simple. Confused

Edited by Printer_Ink - Oct 03 2013 at 4:42am
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (16) Thanks(16)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 5:03am
From my experience...

Never get caught slipping...

So basically, no slacking...

Always look busy even after you've completed all tasks...

Don't goof off in your workplace and don't associate with those who do.

Make sure your work is flawless and make sure you complete your tasks before the deadline.

Don't let anyone disrespect you, regardless of who they are or what position they hold. There's always a tactful way to put someone in their place.

Don't be a meek mouse. Even if you're quiet/shy...make sure everything that does come out of your mouth is golden and make sure you have ideas to contribute. Remember, you need to stand out from the rest.

Don't come off as a ditz...if you're going to ask a simple question, don't. Just look it up and research it on your own time.

Don't ever become too playful with people at work. Some ppl tend to forget about boundaries...

Don't give anyone the opportunity to steal your idea. No matter how excited you are about it, don't share it with your colleagues...ppl can be snakes.

Keep a paper trail. Anything important that was discussed (verbally), send a recap email afterwards just as confirmation that the convo took place.

Let your work ethic speak for you.
journeytolong View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote journeytolong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 5:18am
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

From my experience...

Never get caught slipping...

So basically, no slacking...

Always look busy even after you've completed all tasks...

Don't goof off in your workplace and don't associate with those who do.

Make sure your work is flawless and make sure you complete your tasks before the deadline.

Don't let anyone disrespect you, regardless of who they are or what position they hold. There's always a tactful way to put someone in their place.

Don't be a meek mouse. Even if you're quiet/shy...make sure everything that does come out of your mouth is golden and make sure you have ideas to contribute. Remember, you need to stand out from the rest.

Don't come off as a ditz...if you're going to ask a simple question, don't. Just look it up and research it on your own time.

Don't ever become too playful with people at work. Some ppl tend to forget about boundaries...

Don't give anyone the opportunity to steal your idea. No matter how excited you are about it, don't share it with your colleagues...ppl can be snakes.

Keep a paper trail. Anything important that was discussed (verbally), send a recap email afterwards just as confirmation that the convo took place.

Let your work ethic speak for you.

I agree with everything you said. My very first job everything was going fine until I started to get too comfortable around the people I was working with. My very first lesson learned working, work is work and your source of income, not a social outlet.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic