Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Natural Hair Care - Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedWonderful Hair Grower Secret???

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
morenae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wonderful Hair Grower Secret???
    Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 12:47pm
Here's a random thought - We all know about Madam CJ Walker, the first black female millionaire "hair culturalist" from way back - without her there would be no black hair product industry....

BUT RIDDLE ME THIS - In 1905 she perfected her first product, the "Wonderful Hair Grower" which history says grew her hair after severe damage. She said the recipe came to her in a dream and that some of the ingredients came from Africa. This product was her most popular and was marketed all over the world.

WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS IN IT????? I'm SO curious. The only thing I've found via research is SULPHUR.

Here's a bit of history:

http://www.black-collegian.com/issues/35thAnn/walker.shtml
Sponsored Links

TexasBelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by morenae morenae wrote:

Here's a random thought - We all know about Madam CJ Walker, the first black female millionaire "hair culturalist" from way back - without her there would be no black hair product industry....BUT RIDDLE ME THIS - In 1905 she perfected her first product, the "Wonderful Hair Grower" which history says grew her hair after severe damage. She said the recipe came to her in a dream and that some of the ingredients came from Africa. This product was her most popular and was marketed all over the world.WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS IN IT????? I'm SO curious. The only thing I've found via research is SULPHUR. Here's a bit of history:http://www.black-collegian.com/issues/35thAnn/walker.shtml

Hmmmm a little history mystery. I love to research, I'm going to look into this!

wavylady View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 4:00pm
Please let us know what you find..good thread!
Tetsuko26 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 5:42pm
This was a curious search. I went to the Madame CJ Walker site, but I couldn't find anything, but on Google, I found a middle school's kid's report. She lists the ingredients as: "beeswax, copper sulfate, sulfur, violet extract, coconut oil, and carbolic acid." She lists her sources, but a lot of the links don't work anymore. http://www.oberlin.k12.oh.us/talent/isp/reports2004/6Robyn.htm

I'm still looking.
morenae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 7:17pm
Great find! "Juices and berries," as Eddie Murphy said in Coming to America. LOL.

I'm glad you ladies are finding this as interesting as I am. I wonder what the benefits of each ingredient were for the hair.

Also, I wonder what was in the Glossine product. Was it regular grease (mineral oil, petrolatum, Vaseline and all that bad stuff), or was it something more wholesome? I'm not too sure how much access we had to "extra vigin olive oil" and stuff like that....

Makes you say "Hmm..."
wavylady View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 7:58pm
I also thought about Miss Jessie..I know her products are expensive but maybe they are on to something..why else would they charge $60 for it unless they  knew it was really good?.  BTW, I didn't like the curly pudding myself but tried the buttercream and LOVED it.
morenae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 5:45pm
bump

still searching........
SwtyPie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 6:21pm
After reading this topic you had me out searching for what the ingredients were.  It was so long ago so it may be hard to find.   One of the sites said that some sales man told her to try mixing her ingredients together and that's what she did until she came up with something that worked for her hair.   I won't believe what I find until I see it in more than one place or so.  Anyway, while doing my search here's what I came across...

1)  It was in St. Louis that Walker thought of putting together the ingredients for a solution that would treat a then-common scalp disease, using massage, frequent shampooing, and an ointment or pomade containing therapeutic sulfur. The system also employed hot combs, though she did not invent this tool, despite its having been credited to her in the past

http://web.mit.edu/INVENT/iow/cjwalker.html

2)      She developed three products - Wonderful Hair Grower, Glossine and Vegetable Shampoo

http://www.topblacks.com/business/madame-c-j-walker.htmz

3)  The ingredients were beeswax, copper sulfate, sulfur, violet extract, coconut oil, and carbolic acid http://www.oberlin.k12.oh.us/talent/isp/reports2004/6Robyn.htm

I will post whatever else I come across

Edited by SwtyPie - Oct 11 2006 at 6:22pm
morenae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 7:20pm
Thanks. Me too...I'll beleive something when I see it in more than one "credible" place.

I haven't seen any other list of ingredients besides on that www.oberlin.... site - the little girl's school report. I wonder where she go her info.

On more than one site, I've seen sulphur mentioned. Was sulphur believed to stimulate hair growth or just condition the hair and protect from breakage - like Sulphur 8 (*pwew!* Can't stand that smell!). I wonder... And these ingredients from Africa......I REALLY wonder....

Madame Walker's mansion still stands in upstate NY. Maybe I'll go bustin' up in there........LOL
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic