Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Women with careers 'twice as likely' to be victims
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women with careers 'twice as likely' to be victims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

Essentially all the article shows (could be the actual research is different) is that women who work outside the home are more likely to report abuse than those who don't.

This X 100
I agree.

Sponsored Links

Organic View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Organic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 7:42pm
I wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish my s/o would...
Organic View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Organic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

Imma need these dudes to get their lives. With the economy the way it is, one would think anyone would be happy to have a household with two incomes.

also, this:
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

If this is true shouldnt the study  be why are men who have working spouses more likely to be physically abusive?

Girl...

Women just can't win. Stay home and get our a$ses beaten, or go to work and get our a$ses beaten AND our paychecks taken. WTH.
BoutThatLife View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoutThatLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Is it  suggesting that SAHM/W are more submissive and less likely to question the word or "authority" of their husband....thus making them less likely to be roughed up....Is that correct?Confused
If this is true shouldnt the study  be why are men who have working spouses more likely to be physically abusive?

This article is biased. Probably written by men who beat their women

I think women who work are more likely to report abuse.a jobless woman has more to loose and less resources.sure she can call the police but who will pay the bills when he's in jail? Where will she go?

Women who rely on men are more likely to be victimized
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I believe it. Patriarchy is real, y'all. It teaches men to be threatened at any sign of feminization because femininity is perceived as weaker and less valuable. It's why it's common for dudes to behave towards women as if they are lesser beings and objectify them. It's also why if you want to insult a man, the most common strategy is to feminize him. It's also why gay men are often reacted strongly against by some heterosexual males. It's like "how DARE this man be openly feminine in his ways!" So for me to hear that career-having women have a higher chance of being abused does not surprise me at all. Because now this feminine figure has masculinized herself and is a force to be reckoned with. She's not the being society teaches the male to dominate. So he feels threatened and resentment builds up in certain men. Then some of these men resort to abuse to kick her down so she's easier to conquer. On the plus side, the woman has more resources to enable her departure.

The patriarchal society exists and we're living in one.
Star

Can't wait to read more responses.
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 9:35am
Originally posted by BoutThatLife BoutThatLife wrote:

This article is biased. Probably written by men who beat their women

I think women who work are more likely to report abuse.a jobless woman has more to loose and less resources.sure she can call the police but who will pay the bills when he's in jail? Where will she go?

Women who rely on men are more likely to be victimized

I don't know much about Ruth Whitehead, but I'm skeptical. LOL  Also, looking at the CV for the researcher, I'm very skeptical that was the intent as well.

http://dev.cjcenter.org/_files/ccj/vitas/Franklin-Cortney.pdf
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

a telephone interview? 

Stern Smile

mmkay. 

what's wrong with that?
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

that is interesting; especially this:

<<'When women are home-bound through their role as domestic workers, they lack connections to co-workers and the social capital that is produced through those connections, in addition to wages, job prestige, resources, and thus, power.

'In turn, they must rely solely on their male partner for financial sustenance and can benefit from the distinction that his employment brings the couple.>>

I would think that this would up the risk factor of being a victim of DV though

I would like to read the study to understand their reasoning better

This...

IMO, domestic violence has less to do with what the woman is doing and more to do with the fragile ego of some men. Unless you're making insane money, as others have said, in this economy there's nothing intelligent about expecting a woman to be a stay at home wife at the expense of the family unit struggling financially. Everytime I see a segment about a family that's struggling financially and the wife is a stay at home mom, I have to side eye it. I get that child care is expensive, but if you're struggling to keep a roof over your head and gas in your car, all grown adults in the household need to be working.

Likewise, a man who's ego is easily bruised by a woman who is successful in her own right is a man I don't want to know. I've definitely dated ppl like that in the past when I was much younger who couldn't take that I either went to a better school than them or thought that I was too ambitious. But a man like that to me is just a sad example of poor upbringing. If I ever have a son, I want him to know that he shouldn't feel threatened by a successful woman but rather encourage her as two successful people together is better than one person who's striving and the other who's an empty headed pretty face. A couple should be able to grow together, strengthen each other and be a united front - not one who's contributing 100% and another who's just needy.

Sorry for the rant.
honeyb87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeyb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 3:41pm
Unless he makes 100 grand or more a year and can pay off all my student loan debt, buy everything I want/need, buy the kids everything they want/need, pay the mortgage, taxes, and ALL the bills, then any man threatened by me wanting to work would need to seriously stfu...

Edited by honeyb87 - Dec 02 2012 at 3:42pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123