BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Women Prisoners in Cali Sterilized

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Katrenia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

where are the white women?
There's many of them in Los Angeles Jail however the article seems to exclude them. ¯\_()_/¯
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by JasmineE02<font size=5> JasmineE02 wrote:

Eek, this thread is scary.
  They actually admitted either not knowing that they needed to get approval or purposely putting "medical emergency" on the paper to avoid going through the proper channels.  That's at best incompetence.  This is a very easy situation for abuse to happen.  I get that people are eager to diminish the occurrence of "undesirables" having children.  It seems like people are even willing to overlook glaring problems with the system to allow it.  We should ALWAYS empower women to make healthy decisions about when and how they conceive.  That doesn't happen when someone is being nudged while drugged or when they're being pressured by someone who is simply looking at the bottom line.  You don't solve systemic problems with shortcuts.  Yes, it's a good opportunity for a lot of women to get the healthcare they need, but I'm really not okay with ignoring the fact the doctors aren't going through the proper channels to do this.

I'm shivering right now, for real.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

^guuurl!

I'm just surprised so many Black folk are for this shady man's methods of sterilization that will be targeting mostly poor brown women. It's like we forget how the govt likes to treat brown people.

Surprised and terrified. People are just losing their damn minds.
thewonderfulwa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thewonderfulwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

^guuurl!

I'm just surprised so many Black folk are for this shady man's methods
of sterilization that will be targeting mostly poor brown women. It's
like we forget how the govt likes to treat brown people.

Starrygurl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starrygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 7:45pm
I heard about this before. There's was a story like this in an other country. I think they were either testing the kids, or given the mothers some type of shot.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 7:46pm

POVERTY, NOT RACE, TIED TO HIGH CRIME RATES IN URBAN COMMUNITIESCOLUMBUS, Ohio -- Violent crime rates have more to do with poverty levels in a neighborhood than with the race of local residents, new research has found.

A study of Columbus neighborhoods found that violent crime rates in extremely disadvantaged white neighborhoods were very similar to rates in comparable Black neighborhoods.

The violent crime rate in highly disadvantaged Black areas was 22 per 1,000 residents, not much different from the 20 per 1,000 rate in similar white communities.

There are still many people who mistakenly believe there is something about Black neighborhoods that make them more violent and prone to crime, said Lauren Krivo, co-author of the study and associate professor of sociology at Ohio State University.

Our research shows that neighborhoods with the most crime tend to be those with the highest rates of poverty and other types of disadvantage -- regardless of whether they are predominantly Black or white.

In this study, overall rates of violence were nearly three times as high in Black neighborhoods as in white neighborhoods. But thats because Black neighborhoods are much more likely than white ones to be highly disadvantaged, she said. 

Krivo conducted the study with Ruth Peterson, a professor of sociology at Ohio State. Their study was published in the current issue of the journal Social Forces. 

The researchers examined crime rates for 1989 to 1991 in 177 census tracts in Columbus. They separated the census tracts -- which are the units researchers use to approximate neighborhoods -- into those with low poverty rates (less than 20 percent), high rates (20 to 40 percent) and extreme rates (more than 40 percent). They also separated the census tracts into those that were predominantly white or Black (at least 70 percent of one race). 

Along with poverty rates, the researchers also compared neighborhoods on other measures of disadvantage: levels of male joblessness, female-headed families, and professionals living in the community. They then calculated a disadvantage index that combined all of these measures. 

Violent crime rates were lowest in those neighborhoods with low disadvantage, regardless of whether they were predominantly Black or white. Extremely disadvantaged neighborhoods had violent crime rates that were 16.3 per 1000 higher than rates in low disadvantage neighborhoods. 

The results showed that extremely disadvantaged Black neighborhoods still had slightly higher violent crime rates than did similar white neighborhoods. One possible reason may be that the Black neighborhoods in this study are still more disadvantaged than the comparable white neighborhoods, Krivo said. 

In addition, the highly disadvantaged Black neighborhoods were more likely than the white neighborhoods to be grouped together, which may intensify the negative effects. 

The researchers also looked at property crimes in the study. The results were similar in that extremely disadvantaged neighborhoods -- both white and Black -- had comparable rates of crime. However, in the case of property crimes, white neighborhoods had slightly higher rates than did Black communities. 

This may be because residents in the Black neighborhoods are more impoverished, and there is less to steal, Krivo said. 

Krivo said this study was conducted in Columbus because it has relatively large numbers of both white and Black high-poverty neighborhoods, which made comparisons possible. Many large cities have very few impoverished white neighborhoods, she said. The results show a clear connection between poverty and crime, according to Krivo. 

Disadvantage has the same patterns of effects on crime in white and Black neighborhoods. Black urban neighborhoods tend to have higher crime rates than the typical white city neighborhood, but this is largely because there are more Black communities that are highly disadvantaged.

Edited by SamoneLenior - Apr 21 2014 at 7:52pm
Katrenia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 7:57pm
Some of the accusations made in this thread are frightening however I work for the Ca Correctional System and I don't know where many of these situations are happening.
Some may be isolated cases but on the whole I've never heard of any forced or cohered sterilization.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 7:59pm

For both racial groups,
increases in poverty were related to increases in violent crime. As in the cross-sectional
results, the magnitude of the effect of poverty appeared larger for black neighborhoods
than white neighborhoods, but the standard test for coefficient differences suggested that
this discrepancy was not statistically significant (p=.27).3 Unlike the cross-sectional
results, increases in the percent white were significantly associated with increases in the
violent crime rate in predominately black areas. This effect was significantly different
from the coefficient for predominately white areas (p<.05 for the difference). Although
somewhat unexpected, this finding could reflect the strains created by residential
displacement and the general social disruption associated with gentrification (Taylor and
Covington, 1988).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:15pm

I don't have access to articles on psychinfo and ebscohost

but if any of you do search crime in poor white neighborhoods

I posted what I could find from my google search

black and latino crimes rates are all over google but it's hard to find articles that focus on crime rates in poor white communities....I wonder why
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:28pm
Yes...this thread is a little scary
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style