BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women Prisoners in Cali Sterilized

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 10:56am
Thanks CherryBlossom. I was also going to mention IUDs.  It's one of the reasons why France has waaaay lower rates of accidental pregnancy than the US.  It's temporary and the coercion aspect is much less of an issue.  If she wants to get pregnant in the future, she can.  

As for abortions, they can be a huge pain in the butt to obtain while incarcerated.  It's their constitutional right and has been upheld by the supreme court (for inmates specifically).  A lot of times, ACLU has to get involved which is a cumbersome process that many inmates don't know about.  It's always best if it can be avoided in the jail, just for practical reasons. 

I love the idea of helping women have access to more and better reproductive options, but coercion shouldn't be a part of the equation. 
Sponsored Links

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 10:57am
*not mad*
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 11:01am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I think it's always good to be skeptical of these sorts of things because it helps keep people in check.

I don't think there's a way to really remove the sense of pressure from the situation though. Dr-patient relationship is already an imbalance of power because of the perceived authority of the doctor...and it's even more imbalanced since it's dr-prisoner.

But, this is one of those things that I think is a net positive. Many women don't exercise permanent birth control options because they don't have the right information and access. And this gives them that chance. And I hate being paternalistic but sometimes people really do need others' prodding to make good decisions for themselves.

They absolutely do!  Regular old ob/gyn doctors offer this procedure daily. Damn near every single one of them ask this as part of the delivery of a child process.   Pressuring women who are being held captive and taking the decision mostly out of their hands is very unsavory IMO. 

I bet nobody with more than 1 child on this entire forum never discussed this while in the hospital for delivery.  Its basically a standard practice. 

i/a some skepticism is warranted in this case. 

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Apr 21 2014 at 11:01am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 11:08am
It also makes me uncomfortable that they weren't getting approval do this when they're supposed to.  
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 11:12am
I am against IUDs for myself personally. For me a tubal ligation is my only choice. I don't agree with limiting the choices of these women either way.

In my state there's a waiting period after consent and before the procedure can take place. Deciding to do it on delivery day is illegal. Also even though there is a waiting period a certain number of women will regret it later and seek a reversal, it just happens.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 11:18am
Oh, I have no issue with people deciding what works best for them.  Sometimes that's tubal ligation, which is perfectly reasonable.  I also agree that the way they have things set up seems wildly inappropriate. 
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 11:52am
Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with that, especially because the women were given an option but why aren't they sterilizing the men in jail too? They can procreate too and worse, many will leave the woman to take care of the child alone.

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 11:58am
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with that, especially because the women were given an option but why aren't they sterilizing the men in jail too? They can procreate too and worse, many will leave the woman to take care of the child alone.

That's so true and then they be having different women pregnant at the same time.
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 12:01pm
if they're not forced, then i dont see a problem

...but it still makes me think of genocide

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I'm at least glad they're being given an option.. but are they really being given options?

I mean.. they're being pressured. These women could be receiving pressure to be sterilized through means such as bribery, mistreatment, or other methods of coercion. Is it really voluntary or are they just putting enough pressure on the inmates to where they have to choose to be sterilized for the sake of better treatment?

No wonder people of color literally get funneled into prisons. It's not only highly profitable, but it's population control.

This. First thing that came to mind. Y'all are crazy if you think that some of these women aren't pushed against the wall to accept sterilization. This is the LAST thing that women of colour should accept in America. This is doomsday scary. That's what Hitler started out doing.

The things that people find increasingly normal with a little bit of persuasion... It's freaking me out.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Apr 21 2014 at 12:13pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>