BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women Prisoners in Cali Sterilized

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:56am
maysay, it doesn't say that they are forced but they are certainly pressured

..this made me raise an eyebrow:

In the California prisons, the jailed women are not being forced to be sterilized. But the women say they get pressured by the doctors to make the decision. One inmate said, “I figured that’s just what happens in prison – that that’s the best kind of doctor you’re going get.”

if it's coming from the inmates and it's their decision to do it then I'm 100% okay with that..if that's the path you want to take in order to better you life then so be it

there just shouldn't be this element of coercion or pressure...makes me feel uncomfortable tbh esp since they're dealing with minorities

Edited by CherryBlossom - Apr 21 2014 at 8:57am
Sponsored Links

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 9:00am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

This article doesn't give the full story.

The women aren't forced. Those who are most likely to be offered sterilization are women who are giving birth in jail or already have multiple children. Women also can request the procedure, and many of the ones who get it do so because they requested it. Why? Because there's no financial burden and they're better able to recover.

It's a great and needed program. Women who already have multiple children and the stigma of conviction already have a hard enough time to readjusting. They need all the help they can get and having more children they can't afford (emotionally or financially) is detrimental.

That's basically my point as well. I plan to get my tubes tied at some point, many women in my family have as well. This article is written as if tubal ligation isn't a routine procedure women request on a daily basis provided they have access to the health care system.
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 9:07am

I'd rather they be pressured into doing this procedure that does prevent unwanted children then have them go thru the emotional and physical trauma of an abortion.  Its the lesser of the two evils. 

Edited by Tbaby - Apr 21 2014 at 9:08am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

I'd rather they be pressured into doing this procedure that does prevent unwanted children then have them go thru the emotional trauma of an abortion.  Its the lesser of the two evils. 
what kind of logic is this honestly?

the lesser of two evils for whom?

yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 9:31am
I just don't see them pressuring white prisoners. Then again they will hardly make it there as they are more apt to be seen as worthy of saving and rehabilitation and not jail. How many have played the I am too pretty and good for jail and had the argument bought?
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 9:41am
I think it's always good to be skeptical of these sorts of things because it helps keep people in check.

I don't think there's a way to really remove the sense of pressure from the situation though. Dr-patient relationship is already an imbalance of power because of the perceived authority of the doctor...and it's even more imbalanced since it's dr-prisoner.

But, this is one of those things that I think is a net positive. Many women don't exercise permanent birth control options because they don't have the right information and access. And this gives them that chance. And I hate being paternalistic but sometimes people really do need others' prodding to make good decisions for themselves.
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 9:42am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

I'd rather they be pressured into doing this procedure that does prevent unwanted children then have them go thru the emotional trauma of an abortion.  Its the lesser of the two evils. 
what kind of logic is this honestly?

the lesser of two evils for whom?

For women who don't have the mental capacity to make rational decisions or possess basic life-coping skills.  They aren't in prison for illegal jaywalking, or for speeding tickets.
Choosing to be sterilized>>>>> unwanted pregnancies, possible child abuse or abortions

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 9:58am
http://www.thewire.com/national/2013/07/california-prisons-were-illegally-sterilizing-female-inmates/66905/
..found some more info that wasn't included in the original article..turns out this story is from last year

Of course, the inmates tell different stories: 

“As soon as he found out that I had five kids, he suggested that I look into getting it done. The closer I got to my due date, the more he talked about it,” said Christina Cordero, 34, who spent two years in prison for auto theft. “He made me feel like a bad mother if I didn’t do it.”

Cordero, released in 2008 and now living in Upland, Calif., agreed, but she says, “today, I wish I would have never had it done.” 

Some inmates interviewed for the piece were happy to have the procedure done, but noted that they weren't informed of the medical reasoning for having it — nor were they given alternate recommendations of less permanent equivalents, like a removable IUDLamp. Those who refused the tubal ligation were not forced into undergoing the procedure, although one former inmate says that she was pressured to agree to a tubal ligation while strapped down and sedated in preparation for a C-section, in violation of the law. 

Edited by CherryBlossom - Apr 21 2014 at 10:05am
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 10:21am
If they're repeat offenders that's good.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 10:55am
I get it.  I'm in for birth controls and what not but something in the water ain't clean.  Its yt doctors making decisions for mostly Black and Hispanic women.  The water is never going to be clean.  When is it okay for doctors to make social and political decisions?  Aren't they supposed to treat people and STFU.  Or are they merely employees of local, state and federal governments following quota requirements like the police?  Government employee cancels out the Hippocratic oath?  Oh yes it does for abortions and lethal injections. Oh.    

Its great when you have indentured servants held captive in a secured facility.  You can do as you please. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic