BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Women Prisoners in Cali Sterilized

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women Prisoners in Cali Sterilized
    Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:17am
http://tellmenow.com/2014/04/women-prisoners-sterilized-to-cut-welfare-costs-in-california/

WOMEN PRISONERS STERILIZED TO CUT WELFARE COSTS IN CALIFORNIA

1EA433529DDD7D15031E62A429B57_h316_w628_m5_cjSZUDxgj

Well, this is a story I never thought I’d be reading.

In California of all places, prison doctors have sterilized over 150 women. Why? They don’t want to have to provide welfare funding for any children they may have in the future.

The sterilization procedures cost California taxpayers $147,460 between 1997 and 2010. The doctors at the prison argue it is money well-spent.

Dr. James Heinrich, an OB-GYN at Valley State Prison for Women, said, “Over a 10-year period, that isn’t a huge amount of money compared to what you save in welfare paying for these unwanted children – as they procreated more.”

540a655f319c6cc4092058b77fcf6fb5-500x280

california-institution-for-women-3-664px-500x255

Although such procedures may seem harsh, they are not illegal. The Supreme Court ruled in 1927 that women can be forcibly sterilized in jail in Buck vs Bell. Writing for the majority, Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. said, “Three generations of imbeciles are enough.”

Holmes wrote, “We have seen more than once that the public welfare may call upon the best citizens for their lives. It would be strange if it could not call upon those who already sap the strength of the state for these lesser sacrifices, often not felt to be such by those concerned, in order to prevent our being swamped with incompetence.”

prison.si_-500x281

In the California prisons, the jailed women are not being forced to be sterilized. But the women say they get pressured by the doctors to make the decision. One inmate said, “I figured that’s just what happens in prison – that that’s the best kind of doctor you’re going get.”

There is a regulation in California that requires state approval for each sterilization procedure. Doctors at the prison were able to get around that, however. The prison medical manager said she signed off on the sterilizations since Heinrich listed them as a “medical emergency.”

Do you think these sterilizations are wrong? On one hand, the very idea is somewhat disturbing. On the other hand, however, it likely does prevent more generations of (expensive) children exposed to drug and crime filled lives.

Give us your two cents below.

Sponsored Links

eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:19am
Black and Latin Women...
smgdh
cant they sue?
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:22am
^^ I was thinking the same thing but since they're technically giving them an option, I guess not.
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:30am
I don't see a problem with them being given the option. This is the closest many of them will get to free health care. They need to investigate the coercion aspect though, that is unacceptable.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:30am
you know i just skimmed over an article yesterday about black women being sent to prison in record numbers as of late.  i guess now i know why.
Faithfully2002 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faithfully2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:45am
Smdh
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:46am
“Three generations of imbeciles are enough.”

dang.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:47am
I'm at least glad they're being given an option.. but are they really being given options?

I mean.. they're being pressured. These women could be receiving pressure to be sterilized through means such as bribery, mistreatment, or other methods of coercion. Is it really voluntary or are they just putting enough pressure on the inmates to where they have to choose to be sterilized for the sake of better treatment?

No wonder people of color literally get funneled into prisons. It's not only highly profitable, but it's population control.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:48am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

This article doesn't give the full story.

The women aren't forced. Those who are most likely to be offered sterilization are women who are giving birth in jail or already have multiple children. Women also can request the procedure, and many of the ones who get it do so because they requested it. Why? Because there's no financial burden and they're better able to recover.

It's a great and needed program. Women who already have multiple children and the stigma of conviction already have a hard enough time to readjusting. They need all the help they can get and having more children they can't afford (emotionally or financially) is detrimental.

I'm still skeptical, but these are valid points you've given.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 8:49am
This article doesn't give the full story.

The women aren't forced. Those who are most likely to be offered sterilization are women who are giving birth in jail or already have multiple children. Women also can request the procedure, and many of the ones who get it do so because they requested it. Why? Because there's no financial burden and they're better able to recover.

It's a great and needed program. Women who already have multiple children and the stigma of conviction already have a hard enough time to readjusting. They need all the help they can get and having more children they can't afford (emotionally or financially) is detrimental.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic