BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Womanist Characters in TV: Maxine Shaw

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Womanist Characters in TV: Maxine Shaw
    Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:26am

An Ode to Womanist Characters in TV, Film, and Print: Maxine Shaw

Womanism serves as a response to the exclusion of marginalized communities form the mainstream feminist movement. Womanism, for me, is the true way to advocate for the legitimization of all types and interpretations of womanhood (and manhood) in our civilization. This article chooses to highlight a character in television, print, or film whose fictional journey embodies womanist mandates and principles.

• Character: Maxine Shaw
  • Show: Living Single
  • Year(s): 1993-1998
  • Actress: Erika Alexander

Description:

Living Single portrayed the professional, romantic, and social lives of four women: Khadijah and Synclaire James (cousins), Regina "Régine" Hunter, and Maxine Shaw. Although Khadijah, Synclaire, and Régine lived together in a New York brownstone across the hall from two gentlemen, Overton Wakefield Jones and Kyle Barker, Maxine basically was their fourth roommate, as she was over ALL THE TIME, eating all the food and cracking all the jokes especially towards her foil-turned-love interest Kyle.

Maxine Felice Shaw herself was a damn good attorney at law, choosing to follow in the footsteps of her mother (played in one episode by the awesome CCH Pounder, and by Jove if your mother is played by CCH Pounder you are destined to be great). Max later chose to run for public office under the ever hilarious campaign motto "Ride the Maverick".

Why was Max a Womanist character?

It is difficult to highlight just one character from Living Single as being Womanist. To fail to mention the messages of Womanism promoted by Living Single, including the emphasis on female sexual and professional autonomy, the representation of Black excellence in the midst of negative stereotypes of the Black diaspora, and the importance of women standing in solidarity with one another, would be an error on my behalf. This article may be coming from a sense of bias, however, because Maxine Shaw was by far my favorite character on the show.

Max was different to me. I felt her distinctiveness even when I watched the show during it's original run as a youth and in syndication during my high school years, but I couldn't put my finger on why she stood out. I can now articulate Max's impact as a forceful disruption of the stereotypes* imposed on women, particularly those directed at policing and defining black womanhood. Max did not conform to the four cardinal virtues of piety, purity, submissiveness, or domesticity required of White women, nor the stereotypes of obediency, neglectfulness, hyper-agressiveness and sexual deviancy expected from Black women. This is not because she avoided sexuality or confrontations or kindness, but that those limiting classifications of womanhood established by a racist patriarchy did not define the totality of her being.

Max was the block braid wearing, little black dress stuntin', quick to put anyone in a verbal vice grip but would show you kindness and have your back when times get rough type of woman. Her interactions with Kyle firmly established Max's refusal to be submissive. She was outspoken, but not on accident. She didn't stumble into her wit, unlike other stereotypical representations of comedic woman characters as having to be "neurotic" or "weird" a la Myra from Family Matters, Phoebe from Friends, Jess from New Girl, Hannah from Girls, and even Living Single's own Synclaire. Maxine Shaw was very important to my self-identification as a Black Woman, and how I carried myself on several planes of existence.

*It is a legitimate claim to classify Max as a "Sapphire" like character who is portrayed as emasculating Kyle and displaying other characteristics similar to the "Angry Black Woman" stereotype. This is an important counter-argument against considering Max a Womanist character, for in order to improve the representation of marginalized communities in media/art, we must examine even "positive" instances of diversity with critical eyes. However, considering the origin and content of the show (created by Yvette Lee Bowser, led by a Black female cast, the overall themes of female agency), and the personal influence Living Single and Max's character had on me, I felt it appropriate to classify Max's storyline as aligning with the values of Womanism.

Edited by SamoneLenior - Apr 16 2014 at 8:26am
Sponsored Links

Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:18am
Angry Black woman... aren't we all
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:31am
Someone's paper?
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:33am

it was on jezebel
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

Angry Black woman... aren't we all
[ak]guuuurl[/ak] 

also? i adore max.
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 12:13pm
I tried to read the whole thing but it started to sound like blah blah womanist blah blah in my head.

Loved the show and her character, tho!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply