Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woman sues dr for telling her she's HIV+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 1:01am
so is the conclusion of this thread that nursing staff [including CNAs] can look at a patients' chart if the patient is under their directive? if so--i don't understand the debate.

or are all saying CNAs cannot look at a patient's chart even if they are under their care? if so--that doesn't seem very sensible and i doubt that language would be in HIPAA.
Sponsored Links

stardaqueenb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote stardaqueenb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 1:04am
Originally posted by PeacefulOne PeacefulOne wrote:

Originally posted by stardaqueenb23 stardaqueenb23 wrote:

Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

Originally posted by stardaqueenb23 stardaqueenb23 wrote:

Anyone responsible for your care from CNA-Doctor can look at your charts. You just cannot disclose the information to anyone who does not directly provide care for the patient.

You can't tell them that in here.. They'll be like, "lol she don't know nothin about hippa" and try to make it like you're dumb..

Although I wouldn't say, "responsible" (they'll try to belittle the little cnas for that) id just say anyone partaking in the care...
I know about HIPPA since I worked in a nursing home for a few years and CNAs were aloud and even encouraged to read the charts, most chose not to and only took report from the nurse. Whenever certain issues would rise about not getting reports CNAs were often told by nurse management that the charts are there for you to read.
The lead CNA on every wing is present for care plan meetings with the doctor, charge nurses, administrates, and PT in which they cover what is in the charts as well as add to them. Also whenever a patient with specific care needs is brought in they have in-services in which they go over information in the charts with the CNAs and nurses. so yeah....

Gurl, ain't nobody belittling cnas.  If you are looking at joe blows chart, and you are not caring for that patient, you are violating that patients privacy.  PERIOD.  Now if you are responsible for all the pts that is different. 

I know I would be mad as hell if somebody who don't know me, is all up in my chart, just because they work at the hospital.  We have big RED fonts to prevent that kind of madness.

AND just because they are doing it that way doesn't make it right.  Duck the lawsuit.

But that is not what was said by F8. F8 said CNAs are not allowed to look at charts and I refuted her by saying yes they are if they are caring for the patient. The point is if I am a CNA on 3rd floor assigned to patients in room 301-310 I can look at their charts just as much as the nurse without violating HIPPA just like a PT or OT can look at the chart of a resident they are giving therapy. There is no titles that are bared from looking in the chart which is what F8 suggested.

Edited by stardaqueenb23 - Jan 23 2013 at 1:11am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stardaqueenb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 1:07am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

so is the conclusion of this thread that nursing staff [including CNAs] can look at a patients' chart if the patient is under their directive? if so--i don't understand the debate.

or are all saying CNAs cannot look at a patient's chart even if they are under their care? if so--that doesn't seem very sensible and i doubt that language would be in HIPAA.
I am suggesting the former and I don't understand either , but I did not read the whole thread.
PeacefulOne View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PeacefulOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 1:07am

Epitome,  I do not know the conclusion of the thread, I am saying that the only people who have the legal right to look at a patients chart, are those giving direct care. Anyone else looking at the charts are violating at the least, the patients privacy.  From the cook to the housekeeper, to a DOCTOR who is not that patients doctor.

The point of the thread has been derailed  Cry
Quiann00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quiann00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 1:09am
All I see is unauthorized personnel can not view patient personal information.  Maybe I overlooked the CNA info.  Point me to the line that specifically says CNAs.

When I trained in Medical Assisting back in high school, we did have access to charts.  In the small clinic I did my clinicals at, the patient's file was pulled from records and I screened them (vitals, weight, height, why they were coming in, etc..) before the Doctor came in.  That was a long time ago, but I think we took some type of HIPAA and OSHA training during that class.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardaqueenb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 1:09am
Originally posted by PeacefulOne PeacefulOne wrote:

Epitome,  I do not know the conclusion of the thread, I am saying that the only people who have the legal right to look at a patients chart, are those giving direct care. Anyone else looking at the charts are violating at the least, the patients privacy.  From the cook to the housekeeper, to a DOCTOR who is not that patients doctor.

The point of the thread has been derailed  Cry
Honestly we agree on that.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 1:13am
lol ok so the CNA providing direct care CAN look at the chart.
it seems as if many were suggesting otherwise...which again is nonsensical and i would HIGHLY doubt that legislation written by congress which is full of lawyers would contain such a specific division of duties in the medical field.  not that it couldn't happen...i would just be really really surprised if congress were that specific.
PeacefulOne View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote PeacefulOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 1:13am
lol. yep.

So I guess different states have different laws regarding notification of hiv status?
And this woman lives in a state that requires her to sign a release before submitting to an hiv test.
And she didn't give consent, and they did it anyway, and then told her she was positive.
And she's suing.
And she'll win.  If that is the law in her state. Confused
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 1:16am
yes... what star said. 

and there was belittling.. yall started quick about the ADLs and how cna's didnt need to know much... plus more. 

ftr im not a cna. but the tone of things in here is so obvious 

coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 1:18am
f8 clearly stated that cna's are a part of the care.. but couldnt look at the chart. 
and when i said that was wrong she got all exasperated about how she had to keep repeating things and cosigned whoever said that ppl didnt understand hipaa 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>