Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedWIRERY DRY HARD EDGES PLEASE HELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
ExotiqBeautii View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: WIRERY DRY HARD EDGES PLEASE HELP!!!
    Posted: May 12 2013 at 8:10pm
So I shaved my head bald Dec 31 of 2011. I had been previously relaxed since I believe about 4 years old. This was my first attempt ever, to go natural. I have maybe 4a hair in the middle back area of my hair, and the rest varies between a 4b-4c (maybe even 4z). Much of the texture (not the curl pattern) is pretty much the same around my head, except for the front, about an inch from the hairline going back. At first when my hair started to grow back, it would grow kind of straight, with no curl or zig zag at all. Now, my hair grows kind of zig zagged in the front. The issue i've been dealing with, is I can not find any product or method that works for me that can lay my edges down! I've tried every serum, edge control, etc. and nothing works. I've read up about scab hair, but I'm not sure that's what I have, being I've been natural for a year and a half now. I've heard of ladies saying the scab hair grows out overtime, and everyone's time frame will be different, but I'm desperate to lay them down until they do and I can handle it better. I've tried just about every youtube video and google search, but even the ladies with 4c hair has some type of soft, curly, fine, baby hair in the front. I don't have any baby hair; all of the hair in the front hairline is coarse, hard, and wirey, and I can't find a "hair twin" that deals with this issue. Please help me out; I'm very desperate, as I've been on this search for about a year and a half now with no success. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links

darlinnic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 10:58pm
Have you tried curls pomade or 4naturals edge control?

Now that lays my 4c edges down!!! Ors edge control - nay nay
Murray's-nope

Also are you using the scarf method when attempting to "lay down your edges"?

Maybe your edges are not moisturized enough?
KikiScorpio92 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:41am
I was just about to mention the scarf method before darlincc. You basically wet your hair to make it damp put on your favourite pomade, gel etc and lay a silk scarf on the edges until dry or almost dry and voila nice layed edges.
If your into natural products you can use castor oil or aloe vera gel on them, works just a well. Hope I helped a little.
solena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 1:00pm
sounds like your hairline needs more moisture as well
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 7:39pm
maybe water and oil would help b4 you use product.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 8:42am
Thanks for all the feedback; Ive been gone for a few days. but yes, i ve tried the scarf method, but it was with edge control. Living in GA, I find it hard to keep the straightened look, because the humidity reverts my hair and the product "melts" down my face. It's so frustrating. Could you all  give me specific instructions on how you guys do your tie down method? Also, everytime I moisturize my hair, everywhere else is okay, but the front dries out after a minute of putting anything in it. I usually use the triple moisture neutrogena silk touch leave in cream and for leave in, i use nexxus humectress luxe ultimate moisturizing leave-in spray. I wear upart wigs and leave out my edges, so I don't want anything too heavy or greasy for the part that I'm leaving out. Any suggestions on products to use as well that wont be too heavy?
KikiScorpio92 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 4:12am
I couldn't suggest specific products because not one size fits all but I find to try get my edges to stay slick and moisturised is to do the L.O.C. method then further put extra castor oil and sometimes ecostyler on the area so it stays laid.
It's really a try ad error type of problem bab but still check youtube for techniques there are plenty out there.
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 8:07am
Where the scarf method is concerned it's basically just putting your hair into a ponytail or puff and then you tie the scarf around it.

So that at least from the front of your forehead area it will be like this:

You basically put the scarf or do rag on like this:

One important thing to know is to make sure that the scarf or rag is from 100% polyester or silk(even better) as cotton pulls away moisture so if the satin is made from cotton it might end up doing the opposite of what you want it to do, so if you get a satin scarf always make sure the satin is not made from cotton no matter how soft it looks/feels.

Was trying to find something that would help where moisturizing is concerned... and I came across urbanbushbabes on youtube(www.youtube.com/urbanbushbabes) and one of them has gorgeous and amazing 4b/c hair(you should see her updo, it's huge, wow!Cipriana is her name.) and they had really good advice where moisturizing hair is concerned, like making sure no water is dripping from your hair at all when you're sealing moisture with oils for instance and stuff like that, just little things that you might overlook because you think that oil will seal in the moisture and that you can just let your hair air dry, but when it's still dripping the oil might drip along with it and also your hair can only retain a certain amount of water so you actually end up with dryer hair than if you'd make sure nothing was dripping before (moisturizing and) sealing.
So perhaps some of their videos can be helpful? Hope so.

Goodluck!
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 8:16am
Originally posted by KikiScorpio92 KikiScorpio92 wrote:

I was just about to mention the scarf method before darlincc. You basically wet your hair to make it damp put on your favourite pomade, gel etc and lay a silk scarf on the edges until dry or almost dry and voila nice layed edges.
If your into natural products you can use castor oil or aloe vera gel on them, works just a well. Hope I helped a little.
This is the only way my edges lay down.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 8:37am
I follow them on Youtube and I love them, but the one with the 4c hair, her edges are not crusty like mine lol. That's exactly what I meant too, when I said even the 4c girls have that fine soft baby hair. I don't have a strand of baby hair at my hairline. I will take pictures of my hairline so you guys can see what I mean. I'm about to go check out the LOC method right now. Thanks to all, and please keep them coming!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic