Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will you encourage your children to attend college
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Will you encourage your children to attend college

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.14  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will you encourage your children to attend college
    Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 11:23pm
 I'm not sure if higher education necessarily leads to upward social mobility in the United States. This article got me thinking. My SO is a skilled tradesman and has a much higher earning potential than I do. I honestly believe that vocational programs and skilled trades may pay more dividends than 4-year or advanced degree programs. I know we've had this discussion before, but I'm curious to see if the perception has changed.

Survey: Nigerians Most Educated in the U.S.

Analysis of U.S. Census data and other surveys show Nigerian immigrants and their descendants score highest when it comes to earning degrees.

By Naeesa Aziz
Posted: 03/20/2012 11:02 AM EDT
USA education, college, Nigerian immigrants, most educated in the United States

Nigerian Americans have long been known for their community’s intense cultural emphasis on education, and now an analysis of Census data coupled with several local surveys shows that Nigerians don't just value education, but surpass all other U.S. ethnic groups when it comes to obtaining degrees.

"Being Black, you are already at a disadvantage," Oluyinka Olutoye, an associate professor of pediatric surgery at Baylor College of Medicine, told the Houston Chronicle. "You really need to excel far above if you want to be considered for anything in this country."

According to 2006 census data, 37 percent of Nigerians in the U.S. had bachelor's degrees, 17 percent held master's degrees and 4 percent had doctorates. In contrast, the same census data showed only 19 percent of white Americans had bachelor’s degrees, 8 percent held master’s degrees and only 1 percent held doctorates, the paper reports.

The census data was bolstered by an independent analysis of 13 annual Houston-area surveys conducted by Rice University and commissioned by the Chronicle.

"These are higher levels of educational attainment than were found in any other...community," Stephen Klineberg, a sociologist at Rice University who conducts the annual Houston Area Survey, told the paper.

However, despite the strides in education made by many African immigrants, including Nigerian-Americans, discrimination still colors their prospects for employment. A study of 2010 employment data by the Economic Policy Institute showed that, across nationalities and ethnic groups, Black immigrants carried the highest unemployment rate of all foreign-born workers.

In addition to cultural expectations about obtaining higher education, the paper reports that many African immigrants are more likely to pursue higher education as a means of maintaining their immigrant status in the U.S.

"In a way, it's a Catch-22 — because of immigration laws you are forced to remain in school, but then the funny thing is you end up getting your doctorate at the age of 29," Amadu Jacky Kaba, an associate professor at Seton Hall University in South Orange, NJ, told the paper. "If you stay in school, immigration will leave you alone."

BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world.

Sponsored Links

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 11:30pm
Yes. I will be encouraging my Black American sons & daughters to go to college.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 11:35pm
definitely college is a great stepping stone and marker to hit

and there are lucrative degrees ...

you can be a business major and still learn a trade and build a great company ... a degree and a skill aren't mutually exclusive
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 11:36pm
I read this stat a couple years ago.
Amazing stat.

Tips hat
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 11:36pm
only 20% of whites have a degree, I wouldn't have guessed that number

gwan nigeria!
Up&Out39 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Up&Out39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 11:42pm
Yay, my peoples! And yes I would! I'm glad my parents made me go. Just the experience alone is worth it.
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Yes. I will be encouraging my Black American sons & daughters to go to college.

The question wasn't intended to be divisive. It was a genuine question of targeted investment. Despite being the most educated, Black immigrants have the highest unemployment rate. It is reflective of the deeply entrenched racism that exists in the United States. Honestly, I will most likely encourage my sons to go to trade school unless they have a scholarship or unless they are pursuing a field with high employment. I kind of think education has sort of become a tool to keep many minorities in crippling debt, leaving them limited assets to pass on to their children. A 4-year degree just isn't the same investment it was 20 years ago.

And a one-star for an existential topic? Really? LOL
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 11:47pm
Long overdue article

Tired of Asian Americans being paraded as the "model minorities"... what a backward ass compliment/myth

Edited by Alias_Avi - Oct 07 2013 at 11:48pm
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 11:51pm
I would like to know how many of them, in proportion to the degree-holders, have been able to successfully pay back their loans or are currently able to pay them
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

definitely college is a great stepping stone and marker to hit

and there are lucrative degrees ...

you can be a business major and still learn a trade and build a great company ... a degree and a skill aren't mutually exclusive

No, they aren't mutually exclusive, but from a cost benefit standpoint, college is only a good investment if there is a high probability of return (and usually the lucrative programs are difficult to get into, ergo most people can't pursue the lucrative programs) or if it is low cost. My issue is that many do not save to send their children to college, resulting in large debt with a limited opportunity for a return on that investment. Is it the prestige that we are pursuing, or are we actually thinking of college as an investment?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>