Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Will a blonde wig last long?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
Aphelion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aphelion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will a blonde wig last long?
    Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 8:47pm
I am thinking of ordering a honey or ash blonde custom unit from a CV, mostly because I cant be bothered with all of this knot bleaching and faux bleaching to hide the knots. But Im worried that lightening the hair to that extent ruins it since it wouldn't be european hair? If I want a wig that will last as long as possible at this color what is the best type of hair to order? chinese or malaysian?
     Also, I want to get a unit with a loose body wave, would the lighter color and process of creating the body wave compromise the integrity of the hair too much for it to last? Am I better off ordering a brown color with a body wave and ordering a silk top? Do silk tops actually hide the knots? and if I order from a CV will I have to specify where to put the silk top to hide the knots? 

I know Im asking lots of questions and trust me this post only comes after sitting here all day and night (now 3am) researching the forums and CV websites for all the info I could get myself but theres not much about blonde color wigs and I dont know how a CV would interpret an order of a silk top, if they would automatically hide the knots, some vendors state 'hidden knots' in their silk top cap construction info and some just state 'silk top, realistic scalp' but Im not concerned about that, Im worried about the hairline.
Sponsored Links

Aphelion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aphelion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 8:51pm

I know Malaysian is better to order as a curly unit as it holds curls better but chinese is stronger to handle all of the processing right? With curling AND lightening. Id rather order brown to not over color the hair but have heard all of these stories about silk tops being in the wrong place or the knots still having to be bleached with a silk top. 

starliteboo View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote starliteboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 10:41pm

Anytime you process a unit you are compromising the integrity of the wig. What you are asking for involves a double processing of the hair. One for color and the second for the curl pattern. I would suggest you start out with virgin hair and possibly color the unit yourself. And a silk top is primary used to simulate a natural looking scalp thus eliminating the need to bleach knots.

Becky View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Becky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 3:39am
Umm I don't know if wearing blonde hair .. is the appropriate remedy to avoid the knots showing. Wow.

Yes, these units are made out of Indian or Chinese hair so to have the unit colored is one thing - but to have it bleached is another thing altogether. I think this alone will shorten the life of your unit considerably - though it will last a little while.  But to add a body wave on top of that... not a good idea. I think it a vendor will give you whatever you want but it will turn into a furball at some point.

I think if you really want ash blonde or any blonde hair - you should source a vendor that sells European hair so that the blonde is natural or is lightly processed as the hair is already light.

If you want the knots bleached - you should ask and pay to have then bleached. That is a better option than wearing blonde hair to hide the knots.

If not that - you can use makeup to hide the knots - this is faux bleaching or you can use silk top - which they call 'hidden knots'.

I wore silk tops for years and the silk insert is always in the same place so I don't know what you mean by saying that you hear it's put in the wrong place. And silk tops by definition do not have to have the knots bleached because there are no knots showing.

There are limitations to the silk tops as well though so you have to figure out what will work for you.

Edited by Becky - Jan 12 2013 at 5:52am
CherryAde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryAde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 4:08am
Originally posted by Aphelion Aphelion wrote:

I am thinking of ordering a honey or ash blonde custom unit from a CV, mostly because I cant be bothered with all of this knot bleaching and faux bleaching to hide the knots. But Im worried that lightening the hair to that extent ruins it since it wouldn't be european hair? If I want a wig that will last as long as possible at this color what is the best type of hair to order? chinese or malaysian?
     Also, I want to get a unit with a loose body wave, would the lighter color and process of creating the body wave compromise the integrity of the hair too much for it to last? Am I better off ordering a brown color with a body wave and ordering a silk top? Do silk tops actually hide the knots? and if I order from a CV will I have to specify where to put the silk top to hide the knots? 

I know Im asking lots of questions and trust me this post only comes after sitting here all day and night (now 3am) researching the forums and CV websites for all the info I could get myself but theres not much about blonde color wigs and I dont know how a CV would interpret an order of a silk top, if they would automatically hide the knots, some vendors state 'hidden knots' in their silk top cap construction info and some just state 'silk top, realistic scalp' but Im not concerned about that, Im worried about the hairline.

I agree with what Becky said but on top of that if you really are determined to order a light coloured wig why don't you go for colour 4 and then colour it yourself with a nourishing box colour like Garnier Nutrisse?

It seems like it would be a lot less hassle for you to just learn how to bleach knots though, its really not that hard and its nothing to be scared of nd saves a TON of time, money and headache when it comes to hiding knots. I'm based in London and would be willing to show you how if you like.

If I were in your position, I would source the hair myself so that I can be sure it is the colour and quality that I like and then send it to the vendor to be made into a LW.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but the more specifications you have for your wig, the more work you have to be prepared to put in. A headache I know but once you get into the swing of it you'll be hapy you did and you end up getting a lot more for your money.

You seem pretty determined not to do any of the 'hard' work on your wigs but unless you have a vendor visit you, mesure your head, talk to you and then make your wig, it will NEVER be entirely to your specifications even if its a custom you're likely to have to tweak. Its just part and parcel of the LW game
Becky View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 6:00am
Agreed.

It is hard work to wear (a believable) Lace front - period.

You can neeeever count on a CV or a UK vender to produce nice unit that actually suits you. Never.

Sorry but you will end up looking like a Seaborn creature - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex7FA2iWSwU&feature=player_embedded. Tongue I am exaggerating of course, I am just saying ... it is such a long row to hoe to gain a nice application.

I encourage you to ... do the work.

It's a Project ... truely.

Edited by Becky - Jan 12 2013 at 6:03am
Aphelion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aphelion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 12:42pm

DisapproveEverything you say makes sense.

Its not that im determined not to do any of the hard work. I worked for weeks on my last wig, faux bleached, bleached, cut and styled etc but just ended up cutting it into a u-part. Faux bleaching always makes my transparent lace have a slightly yellow tint, which always makes it not match my skin tone. And bleaching it altogether is going to compromise the integrity of the wig anyway although the hair would still be un-lightened? so I thought if not ordering a silk top saved me money and light hair suits me anyway.

And the reason I said about the silk top being in the wrong place is because I research these forums alot and one poster said that jacksun or rex (cant remember which one) put the silk top AT THE BACK OF THE UNIT?!? and I was like woah, whattt? I understand what youre saying about the lightening process and I thought silk tops would hide knots but ive heard some vendors stating, silk top AND bleached knots so I wanted to make sure I didnt misunderstand.

I just think blonde hair would suit me much better than darker and my boyfriend realllly likes blondes EmbarrassedDisapprove lol. But I think it was just me and my wishful thinking that it wouldnt totally ruin the wig lol. 

I started out wanting european hair but vendors and 100% european, uhmmm? A vendor can charge you plus $100 for european or what ever extra they want to charge and its not european. Sourcing european and having it made into a wig, great! idea, I'll try when I'm not on such a tight budget. Maybe not so worth it JUST to be blonde though lol

In conclusion Im going to have to stay brunette and get a silk top and hope its a good one. I really appreciate all of your help and advice you all help me get my head out of the clouds and make sensible decisions Clap

Blossom8186 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blossom8186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 1:03pm
There are tons of women that wear blonde wigs....this is not new and I don't recall any or many crying about the quality. White women wear blonde lace wigs and Im sure none have crazy problems. And it's not like you're asking for a kinky texture, you're asking for a body wave. Not that serious. Plus European hair is weaker than asian hair so how could that possibly be any better in a light color unless it was virgin? 

I would suggest ordering chinese virgin processed for the color and texture you want. You'll survive. Many have. If the vendors hair quality is subpar the unit will be trash no matter what. But if you trust your vendor and are sure of their quality it'll be ok. If you are too scared, order virgin processed for the wave pattern you want and color it yourself. 
CherryAde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryAde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Aphelion Aphelion wrote:

DisapproveEverything you say makes sense.

Its not that im determined not to do any of the hard work. I worked for weeks on my last wig, faux bleached, bleached, cut and styled etc but just ended up cutting it into a u-part. Faux bleaching always makes my transparent lace have a slightly yellow tint, which always makes it not match my skin tone. And bleaching it altogether is going to compromise the integrity of the wig anyway although the hair would still be un-lightened? so I thought if not ordering a silk top saved me money and light hair suits me anyway.

And the reason I said about the silk top being in the wrong place is because I research these forums alot and one poster said that jacksun or rex (cant remember which one) put the silk top AT THE BACK OF THE UNIT?!? and I was like woah, whattt? I understand what youre saying about the lightening process and I thought silk tops would hide knots but ive heard some vendors stating, silk top AND bleached knots so I wanted to make sure I didnt misunderstand.

I just think blonde hair would suit me much better than darker and my boyfriend realllly likes blondes EmbarrassedDisapprove lol. But I think it was just me and my wishful thinking that it wouldnt totally ruin the wig lol. 

I started out wanting european hair but vendors and 100% european, uhmmm? A vendor can charge you plus $100 for european or what ever extra they want to charge and its not european. Sourcing european and having it made into a wig, great! idea, I'll try when I'm not on such a tight budget. Maybe not so worth it JUST to be blonde though lol

In conclusion Im going to have to stay brunette and get a silk top and hope its a good one. I really appreciate all of your help and advice you all help me get my head out of the clouds and make sensible decisions Clap

Aww,  totall understand how you feel and the best advice I can give is BABYSTEPS.

I started with learning how to bleach knots as I feel it is the most important and first step to making your wig look natural. Then, I moved on to cutting and styling to add some personality and then I learnt to color with minimal damage and only now am I learning to tweeze (which I am only doing half heartedly seeing as I wear a side fringe most of the time) but I tried to master each step before introducing anything new.

LW's require patience and if you try to do everything at once you will fudge it up for sure... I usually buy two units:  one wearable unit and work on the other till its perfect... takes weeks sometimes but I make a point of not rushing.

Best of luck!

Gad you decided to go for a darker color in the end, you are saving yourself all sorts of tangling, drying isues!
hennared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hennared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 12:30pm
I entirely agree with everything Blossom said!

I lift virgin hair to level 7-ish all the time.  If the hair is good quality to start with, I never have a problem.  And I usually order body wave units.

But of course, bad hair is gonna get worse faster with lightening.  I'm sure even with good hair, more processing shortens the lifetime SOME.  But I don't think by 'a lot'. 

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic