Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Why is Gabourey Sidibe's Confidence questioned

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:27am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

People felt the same way when that girl Karyn Washington killed herself. The ambassador for dark women and creator of For Brown Girls.

What really? What did they say, I've never heard this!

Remember her friend made a video saying people were assuming that the girl really was insecure about her skin tone but supposedly it wasn't true and the reason was she was grieving over the loss of her mother. Also Tommy Sotomayor made a video and of course he had to inject all of his insecurities into the situation.

Wow, I guess her friend really thought she was ugly after-all but liked how confident she was about it. 

And about Tommy Sotomayor, Eff him to the power of tenth. Once I found out that wasn't his real name and that he has been to jail 3 times. Everything he says is rubbish, well it's been rubbish but now it is rubbish sprinkled with a little nonsense.
Sponsored Links

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:33am
No f8, Karyn's friend was defending her against those accusations and saying her suicide had nothing to do with insecurity over her skin tone. But a lot of people in the blogosphere or whatever were making those assumptions that Karyn suffered from low self esteem deep down despite her strong facade and that was the reason she killed herself.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:33am

No f8, Karyn's friend was defending her against those accusations and saying her suicide had nothing to do with insecurity over her skin tone. But a lot of people in the blogosphere or whatever were making those assumptions that Karyn suffered from low self esteem deep down despite her strong facade and that was the reason she killed herself.

Oh okay thx I misunderstood. Why the hell would people think that. I actually thought the opposite with my shallow azz. I thought how could someone so pretty do that. Then I thought man pretty kill themselves all the time.
Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 6:03am
They want to her to hate herself so bad
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

People want her to hate herself because she doesn't fit the expected standard of beauty and has the audacity to be happy and proud of the way she is.
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 7:47am
reminds me of:

Please Don't Ask Mindy Kaling Where Her Confidence Comes From

Please Dont Ask Mindy Kaling Where Her Confidence Comes From1Expand

Mindy Kaling landed the new cover of Parade magazine, and in an interview, she talks about the attention paid to her appearance:

“I always get asked, ‘Where do you get your confidence?’ I think people are well meaning, but it’s pretty insulting. Because what it means to me is, ‘You, Mindy Kaling, have all the trappings of a very marginalized person. You’re not skinny, you’re not white, you’re a woman. Why on earth would you feel like you’re worth anything?’

And some more thoughts on othering:

“There are little Indian girls out there who look up to me, and I never want to belittle the honor of being an inspiration to them. But while I’m talking about why I’m so different, white male show runners get to talk about their art.”

Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

People want her to hate herself because she doesn't fit the expected standard of beauty and has the audacity to be happy and proud of the way she is.

Yep, that's the problem.

If she was siting around feeling bad about herself and working some job out of the spotlight - people would be fine with it. But because she's OUT THERE, has fun, meets people etc ... people feel they have the right to talk about her weight and skin color and put her down.

People saying they are concerned about her health ... is crap. I don't believe it they really care about her health ... she just doesn't 'look right'.

I know women that have much more of an 'acceptable' appearance and they don't have the confidence Gaby has in her index finger.

I've said it before - it's alllll about how you genuinely feel about yourself.
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 9:29am
So being a white male who is fit is the only one worthy of confidence? Humans are disgusting and I love Gabby in AHS and Mindy is helluva attractive!
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 9:56am
ehh ive never cared to question her confidence..

do people really worry this much about other people?

there are confident women at any size and shape

creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 10:25am
None of that sounded confident to me. She strikes me as the fat person who makes fun of them self before anyone else can. Sounds like she deals with being fat, not that she's super confident.

My speculation.

And people question her because she's fat and ugly to most people. If beyonce was fat and ugly, they'd ask her too. Actually, I think many people get asked this question. Gabby isn't the first.

Edited by creole booty - May 03 2014 at 10:26am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic