Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Why is Gabourey Sidibe's Confidence questioned

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is Gabourey Sidibe's Confidence questioned
    Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:16am
I don't see anyone asking Beyonce's confidence? Yes I know she is big but that shat is shady eff.  

Somebody help me embed please don't know what the hell is going onCry

"I had zero friends from the fourth grade to the sixth grade. Who the hell was I baking cookies for? I really got so excited to bake that I had forgotten that everyone hated my guts," she continued. "Why didn't they like me? I was fat, yes. I had darker skin and weird hair, yes. But the truth is, this isn't a story about bullying, or color, or weight. They hated me because … I was an a******."     <<<<<I'm sorry but what does this meanConfused

The realization made Gabourey understand a lot about the struggles of growing up. Even today, the "Precious" star admits that it's not always comfortable for her to appear at events when she knows that she will face criticism because of her weight.

"It's not easy. It's hard to get dressed up for award shows and red carpets when I know I will be made fun of because of my weight. There's always a big chance if I wear purple, I will be compared to Barney. If I wear white, a frozen turkey. And if I wear red, that pitcher of Kool-Aid that says, "Oh, yeaahh!" Twitter will blow up with nasty comments about how the recent earthquake was caused by me running to a hot dog cart or something."

Gabourey also opened up about how all her past childhood experiences have made her a better actress today with a lot of confidence.

"I live my life because I dare. I dare to show up when everyone else might hide their faces and hide their bodies in shame. … My mother and my father love me. … I'm grateful to them and to my fifth-grade class because if they hadn't made me cry, I wouldn't be able to cry on cue now," the actress explained. "If I hadn't been told I was garbage, I wouldn't have learned how to show people I'm talented. And if everyone had always laughed at my jokes, I wouldn't have figured out how to be so funny. If they hadn't told me I was ugly, I never would have searched for my beauty."

Well, we love how fierce Gabourey is and that she has the ability to be honest about her feelings. Check out this video to see more of her childhood story and why she thinks no one liked her, and tune in to "The Insider With Yahoo" for the latest in entertainment news.

Don't

Edited by f8dagrate - May 03 2014 at 2:19am
Sponsored Links

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (14) Thanks(14)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:24am
People want her to hate herself because she doesn't fit the expected standard of beauty and has the audacity to be happy and proud of the way she is.

It's like people shaming another person for being fat under a false guise of caring for their target's health. If that fat person began working to lose weight, they'd STILL face shame for even trying. It shows this is more about social status than a genuine care for someone's health.

They just want to tear her down for not being the expected and being perfectly fine with that.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:43am
I don't question her confidence and the thing that makes her likeable is her outgoing personality.  She seems like a fun person to be around bc she's sarcastic,witty, and self aware....what I'm curious about is her choice to not lose weight bc it would improve her quality of life and prolong it, especially since her lifestyle is so great. If that's how she wants to live then that's her choice...but people will talk, whether it's about an obese body or beyonce's body...people are going to have something bad to say no matter your weight.  We live in a weight obsessed culture.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

People want her to hate herself because she doesn't fit the expected standard of beauty and has the audacity to be happy and proud of the way she is.

It's like people shaming another person for being fat under a false guise of caring for their target's health. If that fat person began working to lose weight, they'd STILL face shame for even trying. It shows this is more about social status than a genuine care for someone's health.

They just want to tear her down for not being the expected and being perfectly fine with that.

I would really like her more if she didn't say things so off putting. 
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:51am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

I don't question her confidence and the thing that makes her likeable is her outgoing personality.  She seems like a fun person to be around bc she's sarcastic,witty, and self aware....what I'm curious about is her choice to not lose weight bc it would improve her quality of life and prolong it, especially since her lifestyle is so great. If that's how she wants to live then that's her choice...but people will talk, whether it's about an obese body or beyonce's body...people are going to have something bad to say no matter your weight.  We live in a weight obsessed culture.

I don't think people really care about  her quality of life. It is just fun talking ish about a big bish. But people don't want to admit that.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:52am
do you have to really care to give your opinion though?  We don't really care about any of these people...happy for them if they have a baby or get married, sad for them if they die but we don't really CARE.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:59am
People felt the same way when that girl Karyn Washington killed herself. The ambassador for dark women and creator of For Brown Girls.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:19am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

do you have to really care to give your opinion though?  We don't really care about any of these people...happy for them if they have a baby or get married, sad for them if they die but we don't really CARE.

True !!!!!
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:19am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

People felt the same way when that girl Karyn Washington killed herself. The ambassador for dark women and creator of For Brown Girls.

What really? What did they say, I've never heard this!
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:25am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

What really? What did they say, I've never heard this!

Remember her friend made a video saying people were assuming that the girl really was insecure about her skin tone but supposedly it wasn't true and the reason was she was grieving over the loss of her mother. Also Tommy Sotomayor made a video and of course he had to inject all of his insecurities into the situation.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic