BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

"Why I Will Not March for Eric Garner"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fckwitmeuknoigotit View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote fckwitmeuknoigotit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

The white man's plan.

this and what a narcissistic and misguided piece. 
Sponsored Links

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 8:36am
What about her father, husband, brother, son? Saying you won't March for a black man is just like saying you won't March for your family.
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 8:47am
Who says "Divide and conquer" doesn't work...
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 9:16am
From what I've seen & in the social circles around my way, the black men who won't march/rally/support black women, aren't making time for issues similar to Eric garners either. The problem I see, is the grand number of black people who are lost devoting energy to mindless things.

Sad that she feels that way, although I don't necessarily agree, I get it.

ETA: I should have added, "lost doing mindless things, OR only concerned with their own personal advancement/equality in white America." - I see the latter more than anything. Man for himself syndrome.

Edited by callmeDEva - Jul 27 2014 at 9:19am
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 10:00am
a response to the original article

THE SOAPBOX: I WILL MARCH FOR ERIC GARNER — BUT BLACK MALE SEXISM MUST ALSO BE ADDRESSED

Posted by Tiffanie Drayton  /July 25, 2014

The Soapbox: I Will March For Eric Garner -- But Black Male Sexism Must Also Be Addressed

I I recently read a piece written by Kimberly Foster titled “Why I Will Not March For Eric Garner.” The author plainly states her argument: she refuses to rally in support of Eric Garner — who died of cardiac arrest after being put in a chokehold by an NYPD officer — because she does not believe Black men equally support Black women in their struggle against oppression. In her own words directed to Black men: “I’m not settling for anything less than reciprocity. If you refuse to hear our calls for help, then I cannot respond to yours.”

Many were offended that the author used the untimely death of a man to launch a discussion about sexism in the Black community and I shared that sentiment. Yet the piece sparked a huge discussion about gender inequality amongst myself and a group of coworkers — who happened to be Black men — nonetheless.

Several opinions surfaced that were quite dismaying. A very widely accepted theme throughout the discussion was that sexism doesn’t even exist in the Black community at all.  Despite that agreed-upon belief, one of the guys said, “Women are crazy because they bleed every month and it’s traumatic.” Another said, “Women aren’t given political positions because they are emotional and illogical.” Even my own boyfriend made some questionable remarks about sexism after I shared the article with him, saying women should stop “playing into” their own oppression. These statements were made by men who do not believe that they are sexist and wholeheartedly believe that women are equal to men.

I have long engaged White people in discussions about racism that usually begin with “I am not a racist” but end with a disappointing racist remark. For that reason, I understand that people can hold conflicting ideas. Despite an individual’s propensity for and/or belief in fairness/equality, the individual is still a part of and socialized into a broader society that is both deeply rooted in White supremacy and patriarchy. In other words, one may not think of oneself as a racist or a sexist, but we all exist and participate in a system created to primarily benefit Whiteness and maleness. That participation leads to the continued perpetuation of the system when we leave our personal beliefs unchallenged.

In our current social structure, the White male reigns supreme. However, men despite their race, are generally awarded more social, political, and financial power to their female counterparts. This is true even for Black men who are still shackled to a system of racism. Allow me to demonstrate this point.

Black men were awarded the right to vote in 1869, 51 years before women (even White women) were legally awarded the same right in 1920. Although White women comprise more than 30 percent of the American population, Black men — who only make-up roughly six percent of the population — have still been awarded more political power and representation, so much so that a Black man became president of the United States before a White woman did. There are currently seven active Black male CEOs of Fortune 500 Companies, compared to 23 White female CEOs and two Black female CEOs. If we think about this in terms of ratio to population size, Black men hold more power positions than all other minority groups, including White women. As of 2014, there have been 1,950 members of the US Senate. The first women were officially elected as senators in 1992 and since then only 44 women have served: 42 White women, one Black woman and one Asian woman.

Patriarchy safeguards political and financial spheres as “male” spaces, even to the detriment of White female “progress.” However, White women still have access to both financial and political resources through White men, so what may seem like a Black male advantage over White women realistically translates to something more curiously complicated that would need its own dissertation. My point here, however, is that Black male societal preference over Black women is quite obvious, though constantly denied. So much so, that media coverage of police brutality is often absent of Black female faces, despite the large numbers of women who have been victims of it. When has the death of a Black woman ever been important enough to spur a rally in our society?

Black women exist without representation, with very few financial resources AND are weighed down by the burden of not only White male dominance and oppression but the additional weight of Black male dominance without reprieve. Acknowledging that imbalance is a serious call for solidarity against the weighted reality of White supremacy and patriarchy often times perpetuated, policed and reinforced by our own men. The men who are supposed to be our biggest allies. The men who we support, defend and rally for every day.

The conversations I had with the Black men in my life, spurred by Kimberly Foster’s piece, were most certainly reminders that there is still much work to be done to eradicate the sexism that plagues our community. I agree that Black women should rally for Eric Garner. But we should march for the faceless Black women who have also died as victims of of police brutality: For Latanya HaggertyCarolyn Sue Botticher and Yvette Smith. For the thousands of women who have experienced sexual assault while in police custody. Let us stand beside Black men in continued solidarity against the oppression of the Black community by a police force that brutalizes and unfairly targets our people. And in the sad, but likely event that another Black woman falls victim to these continued injustices, let us not allow her name to be buried by marginalization or her face to be blurred from the minds of millions of Americans. We must decide to take a stand, even if as Black women, we stand alone.

But let it be known that we are waiting and watching to see if Black men will stand with us.

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 10:30am
I get where she's coming from. And I notice how hardly anyone is paying attention to the Renisha McBride trial. But what she's proposing (in the initial article) is not the answer. Eric Garner could have been her brother, uncle, father, son. She's really saying she wouldn't march for them?
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 10:47am
I had said I would sit this out but fucc it.

When I read that all I heard/saw was frustration. That's why I can understand where she's coming from. U see folks rallying but when it comes to black females it seems like no one is there but the ladies. It seems as tho if articles are written very few men address black women's injustices. I have seen maybe one or two articles written by black men talking about the Renisha McBride situation. I'm sure there were more but I only saw two. Was there even a march for Renisha? I don't know for sure.

Is it right that she feels that way? To her it is. If her brother or father or some male figure she cares about got killed of course she would march. And I'm sure this article would be thrown in her face as she marched. This is a "frustration piece" that happened to get published on...what is it even on? her blog or a world wide, well known news site? *shrugs*

*please note the use of "it seems".
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 10:54am
I agree with the above two posts. I get it and I understand it. I dont agree with her plan of action, but I believe many Black women can understand the reasoning.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 11:02am
I don't like that she wanted to make her point off the back of a death man.
Its just disgusting to me.

There absolutely needs to be a discussion about misogyny and black men but have some damn tact.

Her sensationalism turned me off

All the way off
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 11:08am
"We must decide to take a stand, even if as Black women, we stand alone."

damn. such a sad, true statement.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair