Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic Closedwhy has my hair become resistant to Relaxers?

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Simone1987 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: why has my hair become resistant to Relaxers?
    Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 5:44pm

i have coarse thick hair, and i went from a using Soft and Beautiful (which worked), to Optimum (which was okay), then to Olive Oil (which was excellent for a short time), and ive used a regular in all except the Optimum. i still use Olive Oil only because i have color in my hair.  now, my hair seems to not take ANY of these. every time i shampoo the relaxer out, i still end up with a lil mini puff from the roots. why does this keep happening to me!!!!!!!!??????????!!!!!!!Cry

Sponsored Links

CaramelDelight89 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2011 at 11:31am
How long are you letting it process? If you are going the maximum time for your hair type and it still isnt working, then you should change the strength. Every perm is different; the definition of fine, medium, and coarse varies by each manufacturer in some cases.
Simone1987 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2011 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by CaramelDelight89 CaramelDelight89 wrote:

How long are you letting it process? If you are going the maximum time for your hair type and it still isnt working, then you should change the strength. Every perm is different; the definition of fine, medium, and coarse varies by each manufacturer in some cases.

i dont leave it on any longer than 5 to 7 minutes. im aware that, that isnt long enough. but it has took before. my guesses are that my hair texture has changed.
Beauty620 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 8:42am
The very same thing happens to my 10 year old daughters hair and I just can't understand it for the life of me.....i don't know what to do, this is a good post.
phattrabbit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 8:48am
I personally believe that the manufacturers are making the relaxers less and less effective so that we will come back more often. The economy is a mess and everybody is looking to make an extra buck.  I have had this same experience with different brands that used to work just fine, and some of my girlfriends have complained of the same thing. Everybody can't be doing it wrong. 

SN: Also I think gas is being watered down or cut with something b/c a full tank simply does not last as long as it once did...jus saying.Stern Smile
blueboxtiff View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 8:58am
Originally posted by phattrabbit phattrabbit wrote:

I personally believe that the manufacturers are making the relaxers less and less effective so that we will come back more often. The economy is a mess and everybody is looking to make an extra buck.  I have had this same experience with different brands that used to work just fine, and some of my girlfriends have complained of the same thing. Everybody can't be doing it wrong. 

SN: Also I think gas is being watered down or cut with something b/c a full tank simply does not last as long as it once did...jus saying.Stern Smile

A LOT of manufacturers do this!! it sucks.  this is a good post.  the same thing has happened to me so i gave up relaxing and used the flat iron (or dominicans) to straighten. 

last time i had a full relaxer i had to leave it on waaaay too long, and i didn't like doing that to my hair (january 2011)

@phattrabbit...a few weeks ago i was filling up but when it got closer to the full mark the nozzle felt so light in my hands.  i pulled some of it out to see if anything was pouring out and sure enough it was very little coming out (i still had like $5 to go...and every damn penny counts).  i was pissed but i thought it mightve been the gas station trying to make an extra buck.
Beauty620 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 10:56am
Originally posted by phattrabbit phattrabbit wrote:

OMG I def agree with you, both of you up above.....speaking of GAS AngryStern SmileAngry It's Freakin crazy how high gas prices are......I wish they raised pay as much as they raise the cost of living and gas. I mean ppl can't even enjoy their pay because they are barely making it out here and then they wanna raise the got damn gas ......HEATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol...smh

I think the same about relaxers as well....somthing just ain't right. I've been using just for me on my daughters hair for a few years now and all of a sudden it's just not taking, got me thinking im doing something wrong.

Ima pray for this corrupted world !!!! Cry
juicygyrl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 5:05pm
Maybe try switching to a Lye relaxer?
Do you clarify a few days before reaxing and make sure there is zero product on your NG?

kaai View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 7:56pm
I agree.... I couldn't use a no lye when I was a teenager..
1) I washed my hair every week.... washing it out I guess
2) it would burn my scalp then....

now when I did relax, it was olive oil.  I was addicted .
I had to have my hit of creamy crack.....
its been  6 mos crack free...

Edited by kaai - May 13 2011 at 7:56pm
JAS123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 10:32am
i used optimum no-lye for years & years and it got my hair really straight.. now i've switched to silk elements lye and lets just say i'm now texlaxed... i just chalked it up to the SE being weaker (which i thought was strange since it's lye) but i'm pretty satisfied so i won't being switching anytime soon to see if this happening w/other relaxers... i don't like using a lot of different relaxers...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic