Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why For-Profit Prisons House More Inmates Of Color
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Why For-Profit Prisons House More Inmates Of Color

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 4:55pm
Thank you for bringing this up again TD.  I talked about the thread you did on this before in this thread below but I don't know if you were around.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/caste-system-the-war-on-drugs-the-new-jim-crow_topic336536_page1.html

I tried to put as many statistics in here as possible.  The first one tells the whole story. 

Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

The prison system is a $37,000,000,000 a YEAR industry

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Mar 15 2014 at 1:32pm
Sponsored Links

trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 6:41pm
I think the problem is so omnipresent that people feel like there is nothing they can do.
However, there is something you and everyone of us can do and it involves community activism, but more importantly money!

Politicians will not simply change the laws and reduce sentencing regulation because it's the right thing to do. They have to have an incentive in order to do so.  Yes, while the prison industry is a 37 billion dollar industry with the lobbying funds to match, African Americans combined net worth in America is over $2 Trillion dollars.
Until money is removed from politics, we need to play the game how they play it and lobby our elected officials to do what's right.
Take for instance, Jewish Americans, they have lobbying organizations that lobby law-makers on their behalf for a variety of issues including implementing polices that positively affect their community.
We need to do the same!!! I started a local political action committee in my state to help influence elections. Everyone who donates love the idea, but we need to be doing this on a national level!!
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

After 40 years of impoverished black men getting prison time for selling weed, white men are planning to get rich doing the same things. So that’s why I think we have to start talking about reparations for the war on drugs. How do we repair the harms caused?  -

Michelle Alexander

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 8:19pm
The new American Slavery
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 11:02am
Indeed!
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 11:13am
I'm gonna need for the average Black person to care more about this

I'm starting to think that a major negative event is the best thing that could happen to our complacent asses
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I'm gonna need for the average Black person to care more about this

I'm starting to think that a major negative event is the best thing that could happen to our complacent asses

I just don't understand the lack of outrage either! I addressed it above whereas I theorized that the overt feeling of helplessness causes most people in our community to turn a blind eye to it.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 11:47am
I think a lot of Black people are a combination of desensitized, complacent and brainwashed into thinking they're a lot better off than we actually are

But I'm also thinking it has always been this way. Change has come by the hands of a few
It was true when Harriet Tubman said she could have saved more slaves had they known they were slaves, it was true during the Civil Rights Movement that was lead by only a select handful

It will be true for whatever comes ahead. I'm starting to truly understand that
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 11:56am
I wish I could put together a traveling convention with city stops in which we gather all the conscious minds to develop strategies and action items that are truly carried out in a strategic manner. I attend small meetings/gatherings where we identify the problems and maybe even possible solutions but lack the resources to implement them.

I do believe there is a mass amount of black people who are just lost, or just don't give a phuck. However I also believe that rising tides will lift all boats. Meaning that if WE (those conscious enough to do something about it) do the heavy lifting, everyone will benefit.

We need cells in all major metropolises around the nation that are ready and able to act!
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 11:58am
Tru,

Do you work in the social work field? If you don't, you should.

I wish I could get a job working for a non-profit. I hope to one day be able to lend my talents and passion to helping my people full-time
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>