Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Why does water dry out my hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Bootiful Cream

Author
siof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why does water dry out my hair?
    Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 5:40pm
I'm transitioning right now. Whenever I wash my hair, it becomes extremely dry (both the relaxed hair and the new growth) when it's dry. I co-wash, but conditioners never help. Nothing I've done (with regards to washing) has ever left my hair soft and moisturized. I've tried sealing my hair with natural oil after washing, but that doesn't do an good either.

Why does this happen? Water is moisture, and that's what the hair needs, so why does it dry mine out so badly?

Sponsored Links

krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 5:46pm
Maybe you live in a really hard water area.  That can dry your hair out.  I'd try experimenting with shower filters.

But you're supposed to be sealing your hair anyway. What moisturizer are you using?
Carib_n_curly View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carib_n_curly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 5:49pm
you probably haven't found the right conditioner for you hair

if i don't use the right conditioner it can make my hair dry and hard to detangle

what conditioner do you use?
you can't just use oil only to moisturise you need to moisturise first

i find trying to moisturise on very wet hair doesn't make my hair as moisturised compared to slightly damp hair

what other product do you use?
it sound like you haven't found products that work for you yet

LOV3CURLZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOV3CURLZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Carib_n_curly Carib_n_curly wrote:

you probably haven't found the right conditioner for you hair

if i don't use the right conditioner it can make my hair dry and hard to detangle

what conditioner do you use?
you can't just use oil only to moisturise you need to moisturise first

i find trying to moisturise on very wet hair doesn't make my hair as moisturised compared to slightly damp hair

what other product do you use?
it sound like you haven't found products that work for you yet

All of the above...especially the underlined
siof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 6:05pm
For moisturizing, I use Sta-Sof-Fro Braid Extra Dry Spray. It works excellently for me. It makes my hair soft, well hydrated and nice. I also like Organic Root Stimulator Carrot Oil sometimes. Sof 'n Free Oil moisturizer has been pretty good for me as well.

I'm using Revlon Flex Hydrate conditioner right now. I just tried it; it didn't condition. Before I tried V05 Elixir Moisture soak shampoo and Pantene Pro V shampoo. They left my hair dry as well (but that wasn't really a surprise to me since I read that shampoos dry out the hair). I also used Body on Tap conditioner. It also didn't condition.

I found this oil rinse method I want to try: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=242516

Thanks for replying.
Carib_n_curly View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carib_n_curly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 6:16pm
mmm i would say keep trying until you find a conditioner that works for you
it took me close to a year to find a moisturiser that worked for me

recommened conditioners

VO5 moisturise milks
Dove conditioner

ORS Replenishing Pak/Conditioner (Moisture & light protein)
Aussie 3 minute Miracle Deep Moisture Treatment (Moisture)
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner (Moisture)
Suave Humectant (Moisture)
Nexxus Hydra Sleek (Moisture)
KeraCare Humecto (Moisture)

Great Moisturizing Shampoos
Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo (Green and Yellow)
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream Lather Shampoo
Nexxus Therappe Shampoo
ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo

i copied and pasted this from growth 101 thread ^^

most commercial shampoos leave my hair dry as hell
you might want to try liquid castile soap
i thinkg Dr bonner castile soap and above shampoos with Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate ingredients which dry out your hair
siof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 6:26pm
Thanks a lot Carib!
honeydipp9388 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeydipp9388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 6:34pm

your hair needs for you to DRINK alot of water. the water you wash your hair with, will eventually evaporate and leave your looking like blah, unless you use a deep conditioner or some type of mosturizer.

Lilnicka4u2nv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilnicka4u2nv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 6:56pm
Water itself CANNOT dry your hair out ..its the purest form of moisture.....

the elements in the air suck the moisture out..that why you need to moisturize and then seal with oil..the sealant provides a barrier.....
Holiness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holiness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 12:41am
Ia!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>