Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why does my hair seem shorter and thinner?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

Author
darkvalkyrie123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 5:57pm
Not sure if this was already mentioned but make sure to DC your hair at least every week with your favorite conditioner+oil under a plastic cap. You can then tie a towel around it so it uses your body heat for a nice steaming effect, and leave it on for 15 or more minutes. After this your hair should be super soft and very easy to detangle, and you can style it right after rinsing until your next wash. Breakage should be very minimized this way.
Sponsored Links

KhadiNiaomi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KhadiNiaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by darkvalkyrie123 darkvalkyrie123 wrote:

Not sure if this was already mentioned but make sure to DC your hair at least every week with your favorite conditioner+oil under a plastic cap. You can then tie a towel around it so it uses your body heat for a nice steaming effect, and leave it on for 15 or more minutes. After this your hair should be super soft and very easy to detangle, and you can style it right after rinsing until your next wash. Breakage should be very minimized this way.

Thanks that sounds really good I was curious if I could deep condition my hair every week because I figured that would be good for the hair but a few website said only DC once a month which doesn't make sense to me but I will definitely start doing that I think it'' be extra beneficial to my hair when the new growth start kickin in. And ur hair looks amazing it's inspiring ClapSmile 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 8:06pm
Thanks ^_^ My hair is prone to dryness so I DC every single week and it does help a ton. I also henna once a month and that has improved the condition of my hair by making it a bit less porous and it also adds a bit of shine. I have also recently started using Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie for my leave in right after DCing, and for me I've found that it leaves my hair super moisturized and soft all week long. During the week I don't do much. I just spritz my hair with water+tiny bit of conditioner so I can re-smooth it back with my hands into buns and that's it.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KhadiNiaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:40pm
@darkvalkyrie123 Is it okay to wear braidouts cause that's what im doing now im scarred that exposing my ends will hinder me from retaining length.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 9:59pm
I personally wouldn't but maybe some of the more experienced ladies here could help answer that question. I don't think it will necessarily hinder you a lot (unless you do it every day or something), but it may make your progress a lot slower if you do it a lot. In general, protective styles that keep your ends hidden is the best thing you can do if you want to retain the maximum possible length you can. The more you do it the better your results will be.
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 7:45am
Originally posted by KhadiNiaomi KhadiNiaomi wrote:

Thank you so much littleladybug for your insightful information. During my hair journey I wouldn't really call it a "real" hair journey because at first when I came on this website on in 2010 I thought I learned everything I needed and stop coming to BHM but as I was saying I use to be serious about moisturizing my hair daily and sealing the ends and what not then when I saw my hair growing I was like wow. I have this bra where I marked when I first started my journey to present I only grew about 3 inches I would say through trials and errors from 2011-2012. I figured my hair will just get longer on its own I don't need to do much. Sometimes when I go to the hair salon it would stay the same length sometimes it'll get longer but I'm tired of just hopping. I did trim my hair in August of 2012 I think it was August 8th to be exact. Which made my hair look lengthy which I was shock cause I didnt want to trim my ends because I thought my hair would look shorter which it did the opposite it made it look longer weird but true and very thick. But now my ends are thin again but I saw a youtube video of these two twin girls and they said don't trim your hair often only like 2-3 times a year so I wasn't sure to do it. But I just need to stay motivated and not get lazy I've already starting taking of my hair my moisturizing it and sealing my ends with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and braiding my hair in four sections and sleeping w/ my scarf, I got lazy w/ using my scarf but I see how it saves my hair though all that tossing and turning I do I could imagine how detrimental to my hair :S

are you talkin bout glamtwinz? their hair is amazing! 

i would do the scarf but i was worried when i saw my ends jutting out through the fabric. so i started sleeping on a satin pillowcase. 
i hope you see improvement this time around with your retention under your new regimen! Let us know how it goes. Thumbs Up

tarah86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarah86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 4:13pm
Do your ends feel dry? How do they look overall? Any split ends? 

Edited by tarah86 - Jan 15 2013 at 4:15pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KhadiNiaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 3:29pm
My ends look thin but I was thinking to just grow my hair to a certain length until I feel comfortable w/ it and then just trim the thin ends but its not bad I think my hair appeared kinda short  because my hair is thinning. I think my hair looked thin because I blow dried it but I've never experience that maybe its in my head Im just focusing on taking care of it.
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2013 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by KhadiNiaomi KhadiNiaomi wrote:

@darkvalkyrie123 Is it okay to wear braidouts cause that's what im doing now im scarred that exposing my ends will hinder me from retaining length.

For sure, it's okay, but to maximize it I would suggest the following:

Invest in a good holding gel that won't leave build up like Eco styler. I'm natural and do twist outs all the time when I wear my hair out. However, I usually only twist my hair once a week. If you have a good holding gel (be it natural like flax seed gel you can make yourself or store bought like eco styler) you should be able to make your twist out/braid out last for a few days so you're not constantly manipulating your hair every night.

To make your style last between twists/braid sets, do the pineapple method where at night you pull your hair up into a high bun, tucking in the ends to protect them. Wrap with either a silk scarf or a silk bonnet. Then in the morning, just take your bun down, do a little bit of finger styling to "freshen" the look and you're good to go.

But IMO if you're really concerned about your ends, you might want to consider bunning for a while just to give your ends time to get over the damage and grow out without being faced with factors that can increase damage.

Keep in mind that in the winter time, just the friction caused by your ends rubbing against your coat, sweaters, etc can encourage breakage.
NaturalNessa20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NaturalNessa20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 11:35am
Hello, how are you? All you have to do is stop relaxing your hair and start conditioning it. By Conditioning your hair, you are giving your hair the essential nutrients that it needs to grow back long and healthy. Try using shea butter, it wil help restore your thinning hair. Hot oil treatments will also help you. Smile
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style