Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why does it seem like light skin gets more love
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Why does it seem like light skin gets more love

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 2.57  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 2:52pm
Im sure there are things with a higher priority than compliments......
Sponsored Links

tropical-punch View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropical-punch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 4:55pm
OP, were you "involved" with this guy?
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 6:54pm
If we're talking about people in general, they may think it but just don't say you or you kid is cute.  Sometime it's not that deep.  It really is useless to expend that much emotional energy on this when it's based off of speculation.
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 7:04pm
Why does his opinion even matter? Confused
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 8:46pm
OP is there more you would like to share with us?
Is the opinion (or lack thereof) of one man so great it would stir up so much emotion from you?
It's just instagram.
I could see if it were real life and he complimented the child standing next to you and ignored your baby but it wasnt even on that level.

You gotta have thicker skin than that.
Not everyone is attractive to everyone. Such is life
Miss SDY View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Miss SDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

But seriously, does anyone else have a family full of lighter skinned folk who purposely seek "or just happened to" fall in love with much darker mates? I noticed my family has been doing this for at least 3 generations now. It's like every time that slave masters genes pop back up they are intentionally trying to breed it back out.

My paternal grandmother did this bc she was not far removed from the slave masters blood line and still had the family's slave name until she married. My first born aunt had a different dad, then My dad, uncle, and aunt shared the same dad, all.carried the slave name until she finally married the third man that came along and changed their last names to his last name.

She's not black but she made sure she married/procreated with the darkest black men she could find. Which out of all 6 of my aunts, 2 uncles, and my dad, only one aunt came out with what you would consider brown. Everyone else is light skinned. That one aunt, which is one of my favorite one, had 4 children and all of them were light except the oldest one with her first husband. He was dark skinned and ended up being the king of the coons. Married white twice and had mixed babies. Nothing wrong with that except he bashed black women in the process. I had to delete him off my friend list on FB bc his status messages were just horrible.

I remember my aunt called me and during one of our routine chats, asked me about why I deleted him. She more so inquired bc he had mentioned it to her in passing..

I told her it was bc of the negative things he said about black women. He can love those white women till the cows come home but he needs to show respect for black women. He has no reason to bash black women on social media and displaying his ignorance for everyone to see. He has sisters that have married and had daughters with black men, he has cousins that have married and have daughters with black men.

He would post pics of his children and post captions like, "the color of perfection"

My aunt was so flabbergasted and she told me that my other cousin, her younger daughter, had told her this same thing awhile back bit she didn't want to believe her..

Edited by Miss SDY - Mar 25 2014 at 8:53pm
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 8:59pm
"Why does it seem like light skin gets more love"

In my opinion, that is like asking why do blondes get more love than other whites. colorism crosses all ethnic groups and the darker your skin is, the more likely that someone somewhere is trying to oppress you and make out to be less worthy of compliments than those with lighter hue.
Miss SDY View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss SDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 9:01pm
And yes, colorism is real out here but you have to be the one to teach your daughter that she is beautiful no matter what her skin color is. Who cares that some color struck negro thinks that the light skinned baby is cute? Even though I do understand what you are saying. I wouldn't even want anyone that is color struck in the vicinity of my child. As long as you think your child is beautiful, who gives a what anyone else thinks? But you're young and you have a lot of life to live and a lot more to experience. So you'll come to realize this as you mature and get older. Just try to shake it off and keep it moving. Don't let this boy get you in your feelings. It's not worth it.
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Miss SDY Miss SDY wrote:

I wouldn't even want anyone that is color struck in the vicinity of my child.

My paternal great grandmother used to pass for white for work. When my brothers were babies in the late 1960s (they are 1 yr apart), she made a comment where she 'made a difference' in their skin tones. My dad heard it said the next time that they see her, it will be when they are standing over her casket. He meant it and stuck to it. He wasnt having it.
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 9:48pm
Bribbs, can you post a pic of the two babies?

I don't mean so we can sit here and vote on it or anything, but I think we all want to know whose theory is correct. Is your baby too pretty? Is your baby prettier but he doesn't want to give you the satisfaction of the compliment? Does he resent you for some other reason? Is your baby unphotogenic? Is the other baby "striking"? etc
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic