BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Why do you wear your hair relaxed?

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
TiredofMyBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiredofMyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do you wear your hair relaxed?
    Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 1:51pm
Hi! I'm writing a piece for my magazine writing class on why the way black women wear their hair relaxed or natural should be their own personal choice. 

Before you respond, please know that I'll need your full name, email and phone number to hand in to my professor for my source list. You can PM me that information. I hope you all don't mind this! I'm a junior in college and this is needed for me to get into the profession of journalism! Clap

Questions are below:

Why did you choose to wear your hair relaxed?

Have you always worn it that way?

What are some pros/cons of wearing it this way?

How do you maintain the style?

Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Sponsored Links

littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 4:45pm
outta curiosity...because i see that you just joined yesterday, why don't you ask women you already know? I don't have relaxed hair, but even if i did i'd be skeptical about handing out my info online to someone i don't know. i'd be more trusting if i could tell you were a long time member on this site, because then you'd have a track record of some kind and some rapport with the community. but i recommend just asking women in your real-life network if you aren't successful here. good luck with your project! 
TiredofMyBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiredofMyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 5:23pm
Thanks! I definitely understand that. I figured it's worth a shot. I've asked several people in person. (As a rule, journalists aren't supposed to use people they know for story sources).  I'm just trying t get a wide scope. But I know people won't be willing to give me contact information over the internet. Two women at the hair salon were reluctant and I told them that I need it for my university class in magazine writing.

Thanks again.
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 9:29pm
Oh man, i'm sorry. i know how school projects are, so i definitely hope you're able to get the responses you need. I didn't know journalists couldn't use acquaintances/friends, but that definitely makes sense. can you like...make the numbers and stuff up or are your profs going to be checking to make sure it's legit? LOL i see you also posed this on the natural hair board, and if you still need more people to respond i could answer the questions Embarrassed
morenaloca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morenaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by TiredofMyBob TiredofMyBob wrote:

I like wearing straight styles most of the time and having a relaxer makes styling much easier for me since I don't have to worry about humidity and reversion, like I did when I was natural and pressing every week.

No I was natural most of my life.

The con is having to get a touch up every few months and the high maintenance of having a relaxer. I have to stick to a strict regimen to ensure that my hair won't fall out or get overprocessed or anything.

I shampoo once a week, deep condition twice a week. About once a month I will do a protein treatment. Do a rollerset once a week and flat iron it cocassionally. Moisturize and seal every night, as well as wrap in satin scarf. Relax every 10-12 weeks, do a hardcore protein treatment and cellophane rinse on relaxer days. That's pretty much it. I also take vitamins (MSM, B12, Silica) to promote healthy hair growth, so I won't have to rely on products to get shiny and strong hair.

twolala1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twolala1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 10:23pm

easy maintenance

since I was 13

pros- easy maintenance, makes hair straighter
keeping hair moisturized :)
SewAmazing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SewAmazing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2014 at 11:13am
I like natural hair. When I was 16 I got my first relaxer. It was my choice, I wanted the freedom that relaxed hair offered. I do my own since that time, and appreciate this decision as being the right form of creative expression for me. It is my right to do with MY hair what I like. I appreciate and respect the same in others.
Keezyanduknoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Keezyanduknoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2014 at 3:02pm
LESS OF HEAD ACHE, LOL!  MY HAIR GETS SO  TANGLY WHN I GO TOO LONG W/O 1 BUT I HV THOUGHT ABT GETTING AWAY FROM THEM BUT I DOUBT IF I WILL....
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic