Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do you wear your hair natural?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
TiredofMyBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiredofMyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do you wear your hair natural?
    Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 1:52pm
Hi! I'm writing a piece for my magazine writing class on why the way black women wear their hair relaxed or natural should be their own personal choice. 

Before you respond, please know that I'll need your full name, email and phone number to hand in to my professor for my source list. You can PM me that information. I hope you all don't mind this! I'm a junior in college and this is needed for me to get into the profession of journalism! Clap

Questions are below:

Why did you choose to wear your hair natural?

Have you always worn it that way?

What are some pros/cons of wearing it this way?

How do you maintain the style?

Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 10:17pm
I have to pick my poison (relaxer or hair color) so I chose to wear my hair natural and I am getting older and relaxers were becoming too harsh for my hair.  Unfortunately I found out I am allergic to most commercial hair dyes that contain PPD and I don't have the patience to do henna.

I spent half of my life relaxed and half of my life natural.

I can blow it out and flat iron if I want to wear it straight or do twst outs to wear it "curly". Cons, my hair frizzes like crazy.

See above.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiredofMyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

I have to pick my poison (relaxer or hair color) so I chose to wear my hair natural and I am getting older and relaxers were becoming too harsh for my hair.  Unfortunately I found out I am allergic to most commercial hair dyes that contain PPD and I don't have the patience to do henna.

I spent half of my life relaxed and half of my life natural.

I can blow it out and flat iron if I want to wear it straight or do twst outs to wear it "curly". Cons, my hair frizzes like crazy.

See above.

Thank you so much for replying! If you don't mind, could you PM me your full name, phone number and email so that I can have it to turn in to my professor for my source list? That would be great! Also, could I get your occupation?

Edited by TiredofMyBob - Mar 13 2014 at 11:42pm
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 8:50am
I have been wearing my natural hair since 1971 when I turned 16 and got my drivers license so I could get to the barber shop on my own. Why because ... it's mine and I never got the feeling something was ugly or wrong about my hair. That's parental influence and an all White environment btw. (I think if I had been raised in an all Black environment I would have had a complex about my hair/skin color.)

I'm older now (on some heavy medication) so I wear big kinky/curly afro lace wigs now. It looks a lot like my own hair and no one questions it because they think black girls want to wear long straight hair in weaves, wigs whatever.

But they don't expect a wig on a black woman that looks like her natural hair texture.

So my look is never suspect. :) There are a ton of curly/kinky hair products on the market these days which makes my unit easy to manage

btw - And I am an AA woman that lives outside of America now so I don't know if you want my contact details as well. :)

Edited by Printer_Ink - Mar 14 2014 at 9:00am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiredofMyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

I have been wearing my natural hair since 1971 when I turned 16 and got my drivers license so I could get to the barber shop on my own. Why because ... it's mine and I never got the feeling something was ugly or wrong about my hair. That's parental influence and an all White environment btw. (I think if I had been raised in an all Black environment I would have had a complex about my hair/skin color.)

I'm older now (on some heavy medication) so I wear big kinky/curly afro lace wigs now. It looks a lot like my own hair and no one questions it because they think black girls want to wear long straight hair in weaves, wigs whatever.

But they don't expect a wig on a black woman that looks like her natural hair texture.

So my look is never suspect. :) There are a ton of curly/kinky hair products on the market these days which makes my unit easy to manage

btw - And I am an AA woman that lives outside of America now so I don't know if you want my contact details as well. :)

Thank you very much! Yes, I'd still like your contact information (full name, email, phone number) as well as your occupation so that I can have that information to give to my professor :)
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic