BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

why do we have to tip?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 50>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote OhMyCurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 9:05am
Not everyone has worked in food service so some people honestly don't know that waiters are getting paid pennies, which is why they look at tipping as a reward for good service not as expected payment for being served. Also, these same type of businesses like to add their own little "charges" that you THINK are the actual tip only to find out they are not. 

Most people look at tipping as just that, because it is always presented as a courtesy. This is a bigger issue that should be resolved by the restaurant instead of shunning customers for being ignorant or having a different view on tipping. If restaurants gave a damn about their employees they would just pay them fairly, period. Someone is more inclined to pay $13.00 for a pound of shea butter with free shipping than $10.00 with a $2.00 shipping fee and $1.00 handeling fee. Most people do not like paying 'extra', business owners know this. This is why most businesses that give a damn, wrap their costs up into the product. It's a mind game, but if you have ever operated a business you know that that is how customers think.

Pizza Hut, for example, charges about $11.00 for a pizza, but then adds a slew of other charges after the fact not even including the tip. It pisses me off. I would rather them just charge $15.00 for the damn pizza so I know in advance and add the tip at checkout. I guarantee you more Pizza Hut delivery people would get tipped if Pizza Hut didn't operate that way....and they know this, but clearly do not give a damn.

Under paying employees and then passing the cost of their wages on to the customer is a shady business practice, but at the same time, it's not fair to expect a customer to bore the brunt of a shady businesses actions. I'd rather go to a fancy restaurant that pays their customers a decent wage that costs $20.00 a plate than a cheap restaurant that expects me to cover for them not paying their employees. Applebees is about $10.00 a plate, the same and a little less than a fast food restaurant, there's no excuse for a restaurant to not pay minimum wage. They can afford it, but when you have a system set up where you don't have to why would you? 
Sponsored Links

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 9:30am
well now you know.  this thread was good for that, at least...
Merin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Merin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 9:34am
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

I only read the 1st page.

The U.S. is the only country I know that expects customers to cough up 95% of a waiters pay.  In other parts of the world gratuity is just that.  It is not owed or expected.  Its simply a gesture.  I think there is something really wrong with our service industry here.  Waiters basically sign up to be slaves making $4/hr and the pressurize customers to makeup for their pathetic wages.  Business owners need to be responsible for paying their employees.

That said, I tip 20% as my standard.  My former classmate said its 25% but I don't give a fyck. 

Agreed. Oh and I have seen places that try to add gratuity onto checks above a certain amount or parties of 6 or more. Almost always people complain to get it taken off. I usually go to the same restaurants and am friendly with the servers so I tip way above 20% however the practice of tipping is a racket to let restaurant owners keep their overhead low.  They need to just add it into the price of the food NOT a line item on the receipt people can just complain about and get it over with.
OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OhMyCurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 9:56am
......but at the same time, you chose to work a job with sheity pay. Not me. SO don't get pissed at the customer for not making up for the wages that you AGREED to when you applied for that job.  If you are not pleased with your pay check, that is a matter that should be taken up with your employer, not the customer. That's like me walking into a restaurant and being charged a fee for the lights being on, a fee for air conditioning and then the cost of food. No. All costs and fees should be wrapped up in the price of the meal. If you decide to work for a business that doesn't respect you enough to make your pay a requirement, than that's your choice. 

I actually don't even care about tipping or mind, but this attitude that we are expected to make up for bad business practices on the part of the employer is ridiculous. 

If people are working as servers because it's flexible, they can call a nursing home and wipe ass for a flat $7.50 an hour with just as much, if not more flexibility. 

As far as a "percentage" of the meal. I dont agree with having to pay set percentages. I think $5-$15.00 is fair for tipping. You are making well over minimum wage with that. If I buy a $200.00 plate I'm not paying you $50.00 for bringing it. 
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:00am

if you disagree with the business practices so much, don't go out to eat
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:05am
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

......but at the same time, you chose to work a job with sheity pay. Not me. SO don't get pissed at the customer for not making up for the wages that you AGREED to when you applied for that job.  If you are not pleased with your pay check, that is a matter that should be taken up with your employer, not the customer. That's like me walking into a restaurant and being charged a fee for the lights being on, a fee for air conditioning and then the cost of food. No. All costs and fees should be wrapped up in the price of the meal. If you decide to work for a business that doesn't respect you enough to make your pay a requirement, than that's your choice. 

I actually don't even care about tipping or mind, but this attitude that we are expected to make up for bad business practices on the part of the employer is ridiculous. 

If people are working as servers because it's flexible, they can call a nursing home and wipe ass for a flat $7.50 an hour with just as much, if not more flexibility. 

As far as a "percentage" of the meal. I dont agree with having to pay set percentages. I think $5-$15.00 is fair for tipping. You are making well over minimum wage with that. If I buy a $200.00 plate I'm not paying you $50.00 for bringing it. 

This is how the 1% feel about you.....but continue.
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:05am

lol...ok so yeah....we are back to what the real deal holyfield sentiment is for most non tippers...which is...f*ck them and their shytty azz slave pay...let them eat cake!

my commentary was mainly aimed toward those claiming to actually give a damn about the workers being paid fairly and profits only being funneled to corps.
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:10am
If you don't want to tip, keep your ass at home and make your own damn food. It's not that hard. It's cheaper anyway.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:11am

they don't really care....it's obvious

at least when I say it's fcuked up I try to make up for it by tipping

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:12am
this thread is a good example at why it's easier said than done when getting others to accept and understand cultures outside of their own, that extends to any type of acceptance really.  
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 50>
  Share Topic